PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishermen?

hooks
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
I thought of posing this question here after reading the 7/12 irvine lake fishing report.
It was mentioned that bass fishing was still good and those fishing them were generally tight mouthed about what was working. My question is why are MOST bass fishermen so full of themselves?
Many seem to feel offering up a bit of advise to other anglers or even the common courtesy of a hello to fellow fishermen is beyond them. I've encountered this MANY times at the vine. Most fishermen are very friendly and more then willing to help other anglers. Not the bass crowd though. I find this amazing that you guys think you are so much better then everyone else, especially since the vine is a catch and release lake for all bass.
I fish the deep sea, rivers, streams and lakes and have never encountered a group like bass fishermen.
Maybe you guys really are the fishing gods (but I doubt it).
So once again, my question is what makes bass fishermen they way they are? :Rolls Eyes:

dfisher
07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
mostly pressure on any lake, especially if the angler fishes it often. But I tend to agree, this is a forum to help people and enjoy company. Alot of members help with tips and tricks but don't ask for their honey hole.

Elkubano13
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
being a bass fishermen myself, i have noticed this quite often amongst most of my fellow bass fishermen. some of these guys act as if they were pro golfers or something, being very snooty and with an air of superiority. i dont understand why these guys act like this, i have no problem giving advice or sharing what has been working for me and although my info may not be worth much(me being failry new to bass fishing) i still wanna help out the guys who are just learning and wat not. this being said not all bass fishermen are douchers, you'll find a few on this forum more than willing to help you out with some tips and advice on fishing spots.

xjdesertfox
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
bass fishing is different because your bait may be the only thing producing at the time due to fishing pressure, not to mention the fear of those asking what might be working may be bucketers.

when you catch bass in a pressured lake its because you used a presentation or bait that the bass arent used to and know, tell everyone your secret to catching bass and before you know it bass wont be biting on that bait anymore.

Koontaj
07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Man! That is true. I have noticed that a most not all bass fishermen think their are king of all pimps.

I guess because they are all tore up looking and thats all they are good at. Its sounds like a insecurity thing.

Dont get me wrong I have learned alot and met a few cool vatos here..sad its only a few.

Okay email gangsters I shot you an email. What what what your going to do ..ha ha ha:Smile:

Fishbones
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
The number one thing that makes a bass fisherman so uptight about these fish is the fact that these bass do not get stocked.
They have managed to reproduce on there own for many years in dirty,polluted,poached, heavily pressured waters.
So the bond and time that these anglers put in to understand the LMB lives, patterns,spawn is very precious.
Because lets face it, they are one of the hardest most pressured fish to catch out there and the thrill and sport
of being able to adapt to there conditions and catch one is a great victory for anyone.
Many bass anglers spend so much time with certain fish they grow a connection with them.
So when they see a bass get handled bad or even kept it, it kinda hurts like losing close pet or friend
even though its a sport and they are putting hooks through there mouths.

Koontaj
07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Well said, but the uptight ones are pretty annoying. I guess to each their own. I give my knowledge that I have learned here to others when Im out their. Also, it not like I live in the park, so I see your point. Now, If somebody sees me talking to a poacher...please back me up. A couple of months again I caught this guy throwing some kind of net in Legg Lake and nobody said nothing. I know for a fact that one of the email gangster bass fishermen where their with their senkos and did nothing....sad sad sad. At least, come by and get behind me or something.

xjdesertfox
07-21-2010, 04:52 PM
lol, reminds me of the last time i was in the lagoon, tuber asks a guy on a bass boat how hes doin

"hey buddy, what ya using?"

"anything i want"

CL SmooV
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
As an avid bass angler since the 80's, I understand why some anglers keep info locked up like fort knox on some lakes.

Most anglers may have spent days, weeks, months, maybe even years finding the varied seasonal pattern on their bass waters.

Giving their tactics out like candy is something they just dont want to do, including myself at times.

I take my bass fishing like playing chess, like a puzzle, once you have a way of conquering, or catching fish, some maybe even most anglers will not give up their secrets in which they put in the time for.

My point is, if you are a true bass angler, and you love the hunt more than you love the catch, buy all the variations of baits, tackle, magazines, and other items needed to find YOUR OWN pattern to catch mr. bass.

Its more rewarding when you put out the time, as opposed to relying "completely" on posts or other anglers tactics.

I can honestly say that after fishing without guidance from others for years i have learned more about fishing multiple times out by myself than compared to getting info from other anglers.

Danny300
07-21-2010, 10:04 PM
The number one thing that makes a bass fisherman so uptight about these fish is the fact that these bass do not get stocked.
They have managed to reproduce on there own for many years in dirty,polluted,poached, heavily pressured waters.
So the bond and time that these anglers put in to understand the LMB lives, patterns,spawn is very precious.
Because lets face it, they are one of the hardest most pressured fish to catch out there and the thrill and sport
of being able to adapt to there conditions and catch one is a great victory for anyone.
Many bass anglers spend so much time with certain fish they grow a connection with them.
So when they see a bass get handled bad or even kept it, it kinda hurts like losing close pet or friend

well said! here's some bromance coming your way!

skunkmaster
07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
As an avid bass angler since the 80's, I understand why some anglers keep info locked up like fort knox on some lakes.

Most anglers may have spent days, weeks, months, maybe even years finding the varied seasonal pattern on their bass waters.

Giving their tactics out like candy is something they just dont want to do, including myself at times.

I take my bass fishing like playing chess, like a puzzle, once you have a way of conquering, or catching fish, some maybe even most anglers will not give up their secrets in which they put in the time for.

My point is, if you are a true bass angler, and you love the hunt more than you love the catch, buy all the variations of baits, tackle, magazines, and other items needed to find YOUR OWN pattern to catch mr. bass.

Its more rewarding when you put out the time, as opposed to relying "completely" on posts or other anglers tactics.

I can honestly say that after fishing without guidance from others for years i have learned more about fishing multiple times out by myself than compared to getting info from other anglers.

Nicely said CL!

zZaNg
07-21-2010, 10:58 PM

roger that.

Elkubano13
07-21-2010, 11:29 PM
as secret as your honey hole or presentation may be, i dont find it cool or satisfying to treat a new guy like **** when he asks you for a tip or two. everybody wants to catch fish and the majority of people just want to catch the fish, take a pic and let it go...seeing as how bass dont live in the cleanest of enviroments.. it sux when you're out there trying to learn and u just arent doing it right...in the heat, sweating your *** off, you just wanna get something in return for your hours spent on the water ( that is the few minutes u get fighting and feeling life on the other end of your line). one time this fat guy smoking a cigar at castaic lagoon trolls over to us and we ask them how he and his friend we're doing, the guy was such a prick i wanted to throw something at the fat *******, we hadnt had any luck and he and his friend had caught a few and at the end of the convo the guy says in a smart *** tone kind of laughing "dont worry boys make 100 casts, count to 100 and ull catch 1" seriously? in the end u guys can defend being pricks to new guys or guys who are struggling but karmas a ***** and one day that big one WILL get away.

fish ful
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Elkubano13 I fish bass 90% of the time. I fish events at many lakes and i see the same thing. I even was thinking of a team name called the outcasts. Because nobody talks to me about the fishing or tips or anything. I have heard bass fisherman called "bassholes" and i know why. Just remember that is only some of us. I give tips to new fisherman. not guys who are pro or a-holes. I will not tell them a spot i know a big bass lives but i will tell you what worked for me that day or that time of year. I want people to catch fish. I agree with everyone here when they say that it hurts to see someone treat bass badly. killing them etc.

A guy had a picture from DVL with 6 bass all bloody and dead. I almost cried. so sad. Some people screw it up for all of us and some give us a bad name but don't hate bass fisherman. just hate the ones who are bassholes. If you keep asking you will find one who will share and be nice with a couple tips. Send me a PM and i'll give you tips but i don't like to post them because i have seen someone post a bait and location and the next day you have 10 boats on the spot and it will kill the bite on it for good.

Even if i catch a bass and someone spots my bait or thinks the fish are all under my boat and the next thing i know i got 5 boats 10 feet from me fishing on top of you. That would kind of make you pissed too. Again sorry for the jerk in the world but they will always be jerk. just keep fishing for the good guys and you will find them.

CL SmooV
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM
as secret as your honey hole or presentation may be, i dont find it cool or satisfying to treat a new guy like **** when he asks you for a tip or two. everybody wants to catch fish and the majority of people just want to catch the fish, take a pic and let it go...seeing as how bass dont live in the cleanest of enviroments.. it sux when you're out there trying to learn and u just arent doing it right...in the heat, sweating your *** off, you just wanna get something in return for your hours spent on the water ( that is the few minutes u get fighting and feeling life on the other end of your line). one time this fat guy smoking a cigar at castaic lagoon trolls over to us and we ask them how he and his friend we're doing, the guy was such a prick i wanted to throw something at the fat *******, we hadnt had any luck and he and his friend had caught a few and at the end of the convo the guy says in a smart *** tone kind of laughing "dont worry boys make 100 casts, count to 100 and ull catch 1" seriously? in the end u guys can defend being pricks to new guys or guys who are struggling but karmas a ***** and one day that big one WILL get away.

Dang, that sucks.....

Can I ask what your methods are while fishing @ the goon?

DENEK
07-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Very well said.

I love the fact that people feel entitled to know what you are catching fish on. These are the same people that only have a dollar to their name and buy a lotto ticket with it. They want the riches, but don't want to work for them. A little time and effort isn't going to kill you.

Just because you ask me what I am catching them on, doesn't mean I have to tell you. If you aren't willing to pattern your own fish, stick with floating nightcrawlers under a bobber.

bman90278
07-22-2010, 05:02 PM

I totally agree. Its one thing when a truck drops off 1000's of lbs of fish every week, but bass have to spawn and the baby bass have to survive as they are food for the other lmb and wipers.

I don't think it matters if its bass, trout, crappie, or kittles, no fisherman is going to give you lots of spots and bait suggestions. I've found out at my local lake as you fish it more and meet other fellow fisherman, you'll be amazed what they share with you.

IF you are still having trouble at a certain lake while fishing for bass, I'm sure a day with a good bass guide will help out big time.

Brian

Elkubano13
07-22-2010, 07:20 PM
CL smoov i doubt u want to know my methods haha, ive seen ur reports and u r clearly a better bass fisherman than i am but if u wanna know we've tried bass trix out by the first set of reeds right in front of the launch ramp and some drop shotting outside of the grasses in the back with no luck. its not that i think anyone is entitled to anything, its just the snooty response u get from some guys and the prickish manner.

Fishbones
07-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I've found out at my local lake as you fish it more and meet other fellow fisherman,
you'll be amazed what they share with you.Brian

So true, get your name and face known by the locals and that will make it easier for them to trust you and open up to you.
This is the best way to learn, and im sure alot have traveled this path before, so dont get discouraged if it takes time.
for the secrets and hot spots to be open up to you.

CALFISHER4EVR
07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Wow! a lot of reading. I would say that any fisherman that catches fish that is not stock is going to be tight lipped about tactic ,location and baits. Most fisherman like "bass fishers" invest a lot of time and money looking for fish. I know from experience. I know also that bass fisherman are not the only people who can be rude when you speak to them. If you are a trout fisherman who fishes fly's for natural wild trout in river and stream you are probably not going to give out information about location or what was being used. I have come across many anglers who fish for bass, wild trout etc and protect the resource with total seriousness for good reason. They do not want the resource to be raped. When it is a fragile resource you will do what it takes to keep it safe. So, I do not have a problem with the whole macho b.s scenario. Because if they say they caught a lot of fish, they probably didn't catch nothing. A far as attitude goes," what goes around comes around eventually" What you give out to others always returns to you.

El Capo
07-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Try marlin fishing if you want to see what snooty is. There really is no comparison.

smokehound
07-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Nah it has to go to the punks that fish for the tiny pretty trout and post their smug little reports, and brag about their freaking brookies and their damn stupid flies.

:LOL: Just kidding. Dont get in a tizzy, trouthuggers.

Ive seen bass fishermen like that, its kinda understandable, because alot of them actually recognize individual bass, and like fishbones said, they are like pets to them. Chances are, if they reacted in such a way though, you were possibly being really invasive with your questions...

Were you using bait to fish? Bass fishermen tend to look down on the bait fishers, because those are the most likely to keep bass..

hooks
07-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Great responses!
First, I don't fish for bass. I've read all the responses and seem to have caught some attention of the "glorious ones". Yes, the ones that feel the bass is their own personnel fish to catch. The one at that are too intent on their catch and release fishing to be friendly. Just for the record, I'd currently hold the record at the vine for wipers if I would of weigh it in. The fish weighed between 18 to 20 pounds. I got him in Seirra cove a few years back and released it back into the lake. About 2 days later the current record was caught in the same area.
Do you think one our "glorious ones" would have ever offered up that info? not likely.
I read someones post about sticking to floating worms under a bobber (which works great!).
Once again, I fail to see what bass fisherman AND flyfisherman the way are?
I catch just has many big fish as any bass angler and just don't see any reason for the smugness I encounter from the bass guys on regular basis at the vine or everywhere else for that matter.

Stormcrow
07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Great responses!
First, I don't fish for bass. I've read all the responses and seem to have caught some attention of the "glorious ones". Yes, the ones that feel the bass is their own personnel fish to catch. The one at that are too intent on their catch and release fishing to be friendly. Just for the record, I'd currently hold the record at the vine for wipers if I would of weigh it in. The fish weighed between 18 to 20 pounds. I got him in Seirra cove a few years back and released it back into the lake. About 2 days later the current record was caught in the same area.
Do you think one our "glorious ones" would have ever offered up that info? not likely.
I read someones post about sticking to floating worms under a bobber (which works great!).
I catch just has many big fish as any bass angler and just don't see any reason for the smugness I encounter from the bass guys on regular basis at the vine or everywhere else for that matter.

A couple of clarifications here:

First: There is a HUGE difference between someone who flylines live crawdads or shad for big bass and someone who spends hours tweaking lure style and presentation based on long term study and practice to catch big bass.

Second: The tournament scene makes for uneasy communication. Lest we forget that some bass fisherman are fishing for 6 digit monetary prizes, in addition to sponsors and endorsement money. Even the local tournies can offer up 10K. This makes for tight lips because so much money is involved.

Finally: You are the one who originally ASSUMED that bass fisherman think they are better than anyone else. All the tournament guys I fish with are some of the nicest, helpful people I know. Also, look at guys like Mike Phua, Pete Marino, Art Berry etc.... All very helpful and friendly even if youre NOT paying them.

Bottom line, I think your opinion is misguided. If you are hurting for information on bass fishing, watch the Bass Pros or subsribe to basswest magazine. There is TONS of information right on your own T.V.

Because bass are not stocked, it is everyones responsibility to look after local populations and be responsible. This DOES make Bass my own personal fish to catch. If I dont do my part in looking after the local populations of Largemouth and smallmouth bass, I am doing my sport a dis-service. Some of the biggest names to ever pick up a rod in the sport of bass fishing agree with me.

Hope this clears things up.

bassnet
07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Great responses!

Classic post- sooo, you're smug because you caught a giant wiper and you don't fish for bass, stoked that you catch as many big fish as any bass angler... Really dude? Kind of a hilarious post, plenty of bass fishermen are jerks, and plenty of mailmen and drywall guys are too. But lots of them are cool, probably the majority, and if you weren't a clown they might be more than nice to you. Sorry you got butt hurt, good luck in the future.

Redside
07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I love to bass fish, if I had more time I would probably be pretty serious about fishing for them. I have tried focusing on bass at Irvine a few times over the last several years, but I have only caught a few small ones. And I was fishing at times when the reports for bass were good. I just didn't figure out the pattern or locations.

One thing I suspect at Irvine is that it is a small lake. There aren't that many good spots that hold fish (when compared with some of the other large reservoirs), so if I was to find a spot or two, I would probably keep it a secret.

The times I fished for bass, I saw boat after boat hitting the same obvious spots repeatedly (the ones you read about). So the fish were getting hit pretty hard.

While I like to help new fishermen, I can't say I blame the good bass fishermen for not spilling all their secrets. I hope one day I am one of them.

Seņor.Chilax
07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I love to bass fish, if I had more time I would probably be pretty serious about fishing for them. I have tried focusing on bass at Irvine a few times over the last several years, but I have only caught a few small ones. And I was fishing at times when the reports for bass were good. I just didn't figure out the pattern or locations.

One thing I suspect at Irvine is that it is a small lake. There aren't that many good spots that hold fish (when compared with some of the other large reservoirs), so if I was to find a spot or two, I would probably keep it a secret.

The times I fished for bass, I saw boat after boat hitting the same obvious spots repeatedly (the ones you read about). So the fish were getting hit pretty hard.

While I like to help new fishermen, I can't say I blame the good bass fishermen for not spilling all their secrets. I hope one day I am one of them.

See, that's the thing, we're not asking for their 'honey hole'. We don't want their 'secrets'. And some times it's just a conversation starter. If I'm fishing with not much luck and I see a 'fellow fisherman', I would probably just ask "What are you using?". Just say the name of the lure, or just the color, or just straight up LIE! I don't care. Don't be a 'Richard'! Most people aren't asking for a complete set up, what kind of knot you tied on, if you flick your wrist once or twice... No! Or a simple 'hello' when someone says Hi. Don't act like a teenage girl mad dogging people when all they're trying to do is small talk. We're out there to have fun and forget about the BS, and when we run into 'Richards' like that it gets to you, no matter what type of fisherman you are. Just have some common courtesy.

BassEngineer
07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I think we need to distinguish between a "basshole" and "tightlipped". I think I am the latter. If I see you for the first time at my honey hole, I'll give some basic advice...but not too many specifics. Why would I show someone how to slay the bass at my honey hole, when the person I am talking to could be a poacher!! If I see you a few times and I know that you are a "basser" and practice C&R then it is a different story. This one time, a guy asked me how to catch blue gills at my honey hole...I showed/told him how...next thing I know he is taking home a huge jar of blue gills home!
If I am not at my home lake, or honey hole, I'll give out advice all day!

Seņor.Chilax
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I think we need to distinguish between a "basshole" and "tightlipped". I think I am the latter. If I see you for the first time at my honey hole, I'll give some basic advice...but not too many specifics. Why would I show someone how to slay the bass at my honey hole, when the person I am talking to could be a poacher!! If I see you a few times and I know that you are a "basser" and practice C&R then it is a different story. This one time, a guy asked me how to catch blue gills at my honey hole...I showed/told him how...next thing I know he is taking home a huge jar of blue gills home!
If I am not at my home lake, or honey hole, I'll give out advice all day!

That's what I'm talking about, everyone's a little tightlipped, and that's no problem, it's just that some people are jerks about it. Good fishing everybody!

JigStop
07-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Most of the guys on this thread "pay to play" so they couldn't catch a fish or two, generally speaking, in a non-stocked lake. Bass fishermen, in my opinion, are usually specialists and can't catch other species. Bass, being ignorant creatures of habit, like most fish, follow predictable patterns and are very easy to catch when you are familiar with these patterns. But that doesn't make the bass as "dumb" as a hatchery raised triploid trout. The average SAT scores on the Skeeter Bass Tour was 685 in 2009. Something you won't see posted in the boards at Bass Pro Shops.

fishinone
07-27-2010, 03:54 PM
It's because bass taste bad. If you were eating fish that tasted like that you'd have a sour disposition too.:LOL:

Seriously, I'll tell people how to catch dink striper and I'm happy to see people get them but I'm not going to put most people on the big ones.

I can see where the bass guys are tight lipped but there's a way to go about it respectfully. A lot of guys seem to miss that part, even striper fishermen. I've met guys who were catching dinks who wouldn't even say hello as I passed by. They must be on a secret dink spot.

Seņor.Chilax
07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I've met guys who were catching dinks who wouldn't even say hello as I passed by. They must be on a secret dink spot.

Stuck up foos! It's like when you open a door for someone and they don't say Thanks. What kind of world do we live in that we can't even say a simple Thanks or Hello. 'Por eso estamos como estamos"... translation... That's why the world is the way it is.(not exact translation, it sounds better in Spanish)