PDA

View Full Version : Any help on Tioga Pass fishing ... Ellery - Saddlebag - Tioga?

billy b
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Haven't been over the pass in 40 years ... don't remember any of the lakes, fishing, etc. Heard it's worth it for the drive alone ... late June to late Sept ... hopefully?

SierraPeaks
07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Ellery isn't real good fishing normally. Saddlebag...if you catch it at the right time can be lights out.
I'd suggest grabbing the ferry to the backside of the lake. I've usually had very good success there.

Mike274
07-22-2010, 06:33 AM
As previously stated Ellery is a very interesting lake. It tends is hit or miss with generally average fishing overall. Saddlebag is generally one of the last lakes to open. Have fished there several times from shore never had a boat there and SierraPeaks is right, when it's on it's on! Generally best fishing in the am and pm. General setups work. I usually hit up the shoreline to the right of the boat launch. I go about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way back and drop in. I would imagine there is some big ones in there as this lake has one of the shortest fishing cycles of the reg drive to sierra lakes due to it's elevation. Good luck

billy b
07-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the advice ... keep it coming if there's anyone who can add. I'll be going in the next 30-60 days

SierraPeaks
07-22-2010, 09:51 AM
As previously stated Ellery is a very interesting lake. It tends is hit or miss with generally average fishing overall. Saddlebag is generally one of the last lakes to open. Have fished there several times from shore never had a boat there and SierraPeaks is right, when it's on it's on! Generally best fishing in the am and pm. General setups work. I usually hit up the shoreline to the right of the boat launch. I go about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way back and drop in. I would imagine there is some big ones in there as this lake has one of the shortest fishing cycles of the reg drive to sierra lakes due to it's elevation. Good luck

Mike...you're right about the lunkers there. I've fished just to the right of the marina too but have only caught little stockers. I took my friend and her daughter and grandaughter fishing for their very first time there and her grandaughter caught probably 50 little stockies that afternoon...all around 7 or 8 inches. But the entire afternoon there were hogs that I estimated to be around 5 to 7 pounds cruising the shoreline...not more than 3 feet from me. They kind of pissed me off being so nonchallant :) ....but watching my friends grandaughter fishing...and catching for the first time more than made up for the fact that the big boys weren't interested in anything I threw at them.