PDA

View Full Version : Rule of thumb on flourocarbon???

Angler Pro
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Was woundering what the rule of thumb was when connecting it to another line. I usually use a seagur knot, do you guys recommend that knot?. Can you attach it to smaller line? i.e if I have a 25 pound test mono and want to run a 30 pound flouro leader is that acceptable? And vice versa, is it okay to run 35 pound mono to 30 pound flouro leader?

Thanks guys

Ricky-Ray
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I would not fish a heavier leader on a lighter setup. You always set your drag according to the lightest line you have. No point in using a reel loaded with 20# and then a flouro leder of 40# when your setting your drag to 20#. Your leader should be the same line class or lighter. As for knot's, the Seaguar knot is good I usually use the uni to uni knot.

midgettosser1
07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Was woundering what the rule of thumb was when connecting it to another line. I usually use a seagur knot, do you guys recommend that knot?. Can you attach it to smaller line? i.e if I have a 25 pound test mono and want to run a 30 pound flouro leader is that acceptable? And vice versa, is it okay to run 35 pound mono to 30 pound flouro leader?

Thanks guys

you're the pro. you should be telling us. j/k.

As mentioned already, in most cases, it wouldnt be necessary to have a heavier leader. Although, there's always exceptions to the rule.
If I was throwing a lucky craft in the surf with a smaller size casting reel, and there were leopard sharks in the area, I would (and have) up'd the leader weight just for the added abrasion resistance.

Other option is to back your reel with power pro, then use a larger size diameter line for the leader, if need be.

edit.... and I second the uni to uni knot. Hasn't failed me yet.

Hometown
07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
When fishing barracuda with bait I will put a short heavy leader for less bite offs
I would not fish a heavier leader on a lighter setup. You always set your drag according to the lightest line you have. No point in using a reel loaded with 20# and then a flouro leder of 40# when your setting your drag to 20#. Your leader should be the same line class or lighter. As for knot's, the Seaguar knot is good I usually use the uni to uni knot.

Ricky-Ray
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
When fishing barracuda with bait I will put a short heavy leader for less bite offs

If fishing for barracuda with bait it would be easier to just use a circle hook. Using heavier leader they will eventually cut the line with their teeth. With circle hook the hook will go to the corner of the cuda's mout and the line should be on the outside of it's mouth.

Besides...who fishes barries with bait???? They are much more fun on the iron...:Twisted:

Hometown
07-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info on circle hooks I dont fish salt much anymore.and I agree much more fun on the iron but sometimes all they want is a bait.
If fishing for barracuda with bait it would be easier to just use a circle hook. Using heavier leader they will eventually cut the line with their teeth. With circle hook the hook will go to the corner of the cuda's mout and the line should be on the outside of it's mouth.

Besides...who fishes barries with bait???? They are much more fun on the iron...:Twisted: