PDA

View Full Version : DVL Report 7/18/10

pigdestroyer
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
We had our tackle buyer, Taka, out from Japan. So we took him to DVL while he was here. We ended up renting the Bass Taxi from Ken and he met us at the lake around 5:45am, loaded up the boat, and headed out around 6:00.

The water was very calm in the morning. We hit our first spot and it was glass. We saw maybe 2 boils the whole morning, but couldn't get anything out of it. We tried another couple of spots, again with no luck.

We were all over fish. We could see them on the graph and swimming around us, but could not get them to bite. We threw everything at them. Dropshot, carolina, crankbaits, ika, senkos...I could list everything in my tackle bag :Smile:

Finally the wind picked up around 9:30, and Taka was able to get a little SMB to bite a hard jerkbait. He was excited, having never caught one before. We fished around the area more and were able to catch a 2+ LMB on a senko. Stayed a while longer and nothing.

Minutes after we hit our next spot, the bass started boiling about 30ft from the boat. Taka still had his jerkbait on and I told him to throw in it. He hooked up instantly, another 2+ LMB. We tried down the bank and nothing.

It was extremely tough. Couldn't find a pattern or a bait that they really wanted. We got a few, missed, bites on Carolina and decided to move again.

Final spot of the day, I saw a very small boil. I threw in and had a 2+ SMB chase it back to the boat. The wind was going by now. We just drifted with it around the bank. Taka eneded up catching the last fish of the day. It was a 1.5lb striper caught on topwater about 50 yards of the shore. He was very excited. He had never caught a striper before either.

So all in all. The fish weren't really cooperating. It was extremely tough for us, but our guest did catch the majority of the fish, and he did catch two species that he had never caught in his 30 years of fishing. So, it wasn't a flop.

This was my first time using the Bass Taxi, and I have to say Ken was incredible. He was at the lake on time, he gave us a few little pointers and we were on the water. Talk about service. I also ended up forgetting my wallet at my house, 1.5 hour drive. Ken was great and still let us go out trusting me to pay him later.

If you are thinking of renting a boat from DVL, . Ken delivers a fully outfitted bass boat to you for the same price as the clunker rentals at the lake.

I will try to get the photos from Taka and post them.

Jeremy

skunkmaster
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the report. That's pretty much what's happening out there right now. Hard to get any consistent pattern going.

pigdestroyer
07-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Yeah. I am just glad that our buyer was able to catch some fish. I lost a giant on the carolina rig. I fought him for a while and somehow he just pulled off. It was frustrating considering I ended up with a skunk.

EastCoaster
07-20-2010, 08:01 PM
we used ken and the bass taxi and it was great.. the entire service is great... Ken will def go the extra mile for you. we got the skunk when we went but had a blast doing it. nice to be able to get around dvl faster, those rental boats it would take you all day to get from one side to the other

skunkmaster
07-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah. I am just glad that our buyer was able to catch some fish. I lost a giant on the carolina rig. I fought him for a while and somehow he just pulled off. It was frustrating considering I ended up with a skunk.

What bait were you using on the c-rig if you don't mind me asking? One of yours? I hate farming fish!

pigdestroyer
07-21-2010, 08:25 AM
What bait were you using on the c-rig if you don't mind me asking? One of yours? I hate farming fish!

We were using 9" worms. Not sure what the color was called. They were given to me by a friend.