PDA

View Full Version : Where Have U Been Catching Macs Lately?

TaperSteve
07-19-2010, 08:57 AM
The last couple times ive went out to Balboa Pier its been slow. I got skunked the last time and only got 3 the time before (I think the time before that I got 26). I need some more catfish bait so im looking for another pier to go for macs. Wondering where people have been catching them in the last week or so.

TaperSteve

TFC_arvilJDM
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Belmont Pier in Long Beach. My uncle went out there this weekend and came back with a bucket or more full.

HEMAN
07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Belmont Pier in Long Beach. My uncle went out there this weekend and came back with a bucket or more full.

what kind of bait was he using? or just using the sabikis? i need to stock up also.

TFC_arvilJDM
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
what kind of bait was he using? or just using the sabikis? i need to stock up also.

Im pretty sure he started off with cut chovies or squid, then once you catch that 1st mac, slice and dice, and slay for days!

ToonaTangler
07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
In the ocean :LOL:

Seņor.Chilax
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
It was looking pretty good at Newport Pier the last few weeks but I went down there on Thursday and it was super slow, and packed with people. I was there from 8pm to 11.30pm. I got one mackerel on the sibiki rig with some mussel for bait. Gave it to a pelican that was posted near by.

E.A.R.G.
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
UGHHH!!!
freaking the flats, the horseshoe, catalina palasades, catalina Vs, catalina avalon, catalina long point, church rock, seal rock, isthmus, on the surface, suspended at 50, down at 100 feet, on fresh dead, live, and frozen.

-_-

reptile dude007
07-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Redondo, Feathers baited with fresh mackerel and squid, Cast it out on the side towards the ocean as far as you can and let it sit.

Optimist
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I was at NPH balboa jetty this Saturday. I fish from 1pm to 5pm. The mackerel bites are consistent. My uncle and I got about 25 to 30. However, the size that we caught is not that big as couple weeks ago. The bait we use is Berkley jerk bait. Then, after we caught a couple of them, we start to cut them up, and get more.

Swank909
07-19-2010, 11:40 PM
UGHHH!!!
freaking the flats, the horseshoe, catalina palasades, catalina Vs, catalina avalon, catalina long point, church rock, seal rock, isthmus, on the surface, suspended at 50, down at 100 feet, on fresh dead, live, and frozen.

-_-

Ahaha had this problem on Friday on the Victory. Nailing some big ol' Mac's on swimbaits on the retreat. I had to stop setting the hook cause it was pissing me off.

If you're fishing Balboa i'd recommend early morning. Start off with squid on the sabiki and start switching out for Mac chunks.

Swank909
07-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Redondo, Feathers baited with fresh mackerel and squid, Cast it out on the side towards the ocean as far as you can and let it sit.

Any Bonita caught out of Redondo lately?

socalhover
07-20-2010, 12:07 AM
there are days when you can't get your lure/bait past the stinkin' mackerels - non-stop action but yet pissed and annoyed. then there are days when it is skunky and you're thinking... man i'd settle for some mackerel action.

Frenchy
07-21-2010, 11:57 PM
steve hit me up man i found a spot that is stupid wide open every cast instantly fill your bucket in 30 min

reptile dude007
07-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Not sure. Never caught one off that pier.

smokehound
07-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Seal beach pier-- Smaller mackerel found here most times of the year. Use squid.

Newport-- 12 inch and larger. Come here ONLY during an incoming/outgoing tide.

Mackerel HATE slack water, and flee from it. Their body and fin shape requires moving water for them to cruise/rest.

Check the tidal forecast. Avoid arrival DURING high or Low tide. both periods become slack, and the mackerel action dies for an hour or two, then you will be pissed, and you will likely leave, and on your way home, the mac attack will commence.

DockRat
07-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Any Bonita caught out of Redondo lately?

They are in there, got 1 a week or so ago on a Kastmaster by Joes.
Might hit it up today 5 ish.

DR