PDA

View Full Version : Pile worms and Bloodworms bait

Monster_223
07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone here knows how to keep pile worms and bloodworms alive longer. They usually lived up to 5-7 days in the refrigerator and they usually come with some grass looking vegetation from the bait shop. So just wondering if I should put some salted water in or fresh water with the vegetation after a few days and does anyone know what they eat? always let me know. thanks.

smokehound
07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
"Pile" and "Blood" worms are actually Nereid worms. They feed on clams, mussels, and other mollusks.

to keep them alive, you must put them in a saltwater aquarium. But dont use table/sea salt. Go to the pet-store, and get some aquarium salt, follow the directions carefully. Keep the tank as clean as possible. Keep them well-fed, or they will cannibalize each other. They will also eat algae.

During the lunar phases in early spring and early summer, they transform into an "epitoke", swim to the surface, and release eggs and sperm. after this, they die. You cannot stop this. once they become adults, the following year it will happen no matter what.

very difficult to breed. their eggs require pristine conditions, and a current to keep them from settling on the bottom.

they like Muddy bottoms but will tolerate sand. they are tough, and tolerate a wide range of temperature. 60-70 degrees is good, just keep it aerated.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say--- they will happily eat bits of raw market shrimp.

Monster_223
07-28-2010, 06:36 PM
THANK YOU Smokehound for the infor.....