PDA

View Full Version : BBL 7-17-2010 - No bass love, but crappie were jumping in my lap

etaggart
07-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Past few weeks have been tough fishing for me on the fly. Been cruising west end of the lake down deep and only gotten a very few fish. Deep trollers did better, but the east-side of the point at the red house near the bouy line has been jumping. There's a great spot where I've seen a couple of guys pull 10 fish in a few hours using PB floating up from the bottom. I think they know the exact spot to hit, cause others in the same are haven't been getting nearly as much action.

Back to Saturday. On the water just before 6 near the Observatory looking for bass. Last year by nephew and I had a killer day in about these same conditions similar time of year. 6am-10am barely a nibble - tried roboworms w/ sliding lead, roboworms fly-lined, some other miscellaneous plastics, and a popper. I got some small nibbles on the roboworm, but I think it was croppy and the plastic was too big for them.

I tied on an old panther-martin and immediately landed a croppy, so I thought - forget the bass, might as well spend an hour picking-off croppy and maybe I'll get a small bass in the process.

Tied on a small plastic croppy jig and tossed a few. Bang, bang, bang, bang. Cruising around the edges of the weedbeds and rocks I landed well over a dozen croppy. All were small, but two were good sized for croppy. Biggest was 10.5" next was 9.5" (that's the one pictured below on the stripping basket. Most were 4 ounce dinks, but still made me work hard to feel the bite and land them gently. Probably would have done just as well with a fly - I'll cruise the edges of weedbeds with a fly when trout aren't biting and I want to catch something.

Not the greatest, but at least it's something. See some pix below.

I've been seeing a lot more trout being caught, but I haven't yet dialed it in.

May try to sneak-up to Jenks lake mid-week to see what I can do.

Cheers!

ET

numbnuts
07-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey thanks for the report, way to go on the crappie. I think i, im heading up to BBL next week. Where is the the red house? is it by the dam?

Thanks

Fishbones
07-18-2010, 09:36 AM
congrats on the crappie slay, thanks for the report.

a321eric
07-18-2010, 11:43 AM
yeah i was tube fishing that same rock jetty of the observatory on july 4th and caught some small mouth on spinner baits. there are definitely bass hiding in those rocks. i figured i'd throw a spinner because there were so many weeds i needed something to cut through them. seemed to work for me. good luck to ya though! jenks is a nice lake to tube

steve092
07-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the report!

I've been wanting to tube there but my tube's main bladder popped so I'm waiting for BPS to get them back in stock. By the way, do you need a permit to tube there?

seal
07-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Permit is $45.00 per year or $15 or 12 per day (not sure on the day charge I have the annual).

Trout were wide open yesterday/Saturday over by the dam, float tubing. Best fish for me was 3 1/2 lbs. with beautiful full fins, helluva a fight! If your looking to dial into the trout on the fly, BBL is a great black lake. I use good ole black wooly bugger, full sink line (type 4) with 5x tippit. Killed um yesterday in only about 2 1/2 hours of fishing midday.

Last year was slightly dissapointing at BBL for me, but this year it's back to being an excellent bite with almost nothing but pink meated, full finned beauties.

smokehound
07-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey, ten-inch crappie are nice ones!

Lightning
07-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice report.I knew there were bass in BBL but didn't realize there were crappie.