PDA

View Full Version : Convict Lake + convict creek 7/17

Matt44
07-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Pops and i decided to take a trip up to Convict for the day and do a little fishing and get away from this hellish heat! got up to the lake at about 6 am wasnt very crowded at all, weather reports called for thunderstorms and chances of rain.Boy did we luck out is was clear all day and high was probably 87. we decided to rent a boat for a half day. went all the way to the back where the water comes in and nailed em for a solid hour every other cast. i threw a red and gold thomas buoyant. my dads weapon of choice, the good old chart powerbait and night crawlers. all fish were about a pound to a pound and a half. nothing big showed all day. we moved about 40 yards in front of the marnina and continued to have pretty good success. we kept our limits. and got off the boat around 12. moved over to the creek for some more action. i threw a gold and red super duper that produced a fish like the first four casts and then nothing. so i move to a pink power worm and they nailed that pretty solid. but i think the most consistant was an orange mini jig i must have caught about 15 in about a half hour. got my pops to mini jig for the first time got lots of hits set one hook. but he will get the hang of it. we had a blast though. took some pictures not too many but ill try and upload a few soon once i get them on my comp. happy readings! keep your lines tight.

Matt 44

xjdesertfox
07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
GOOD JOB! convict lake is one of my favorite places on earth. do you know if they allow personal boats onto the lake? i'd love to take a trip out there in the bass boat.

Fishbones
07-18-2010, 09:56 AM
congrats on your trip, thanks for sharing.

Matt44
07-18-2010, 09:35 PM
yeah you can launch private boats! not sure of the fee but im sure its under ten

Mike274
07-21-2010, 07:25 AM
They do allow private boats on Convict and the price is a whopping $ 0.00. Yep, believe it or not it is free!

Mike

Mike274
07-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Matt44,

Not trying to be the web police or anything, and you may already know this but a lot of people don't. Be careful DFG regs state that once you have your limit on the stringer etc you can no longer fish, even if only to catch and release. The only exception I have been told is if you go fish an area that is posted strictly "catch and release only" like the Lower Owens river. It is also against the regs to cull or release fish from your stringer to replace with another one. So if I want to continue fishing I just keep 4 on the stringer.

Just go back from convict with a friend. We just slayed them early and quick with stockers and my friend was going to load his stringer with the 5th fish. we still wanted to fish so I advised hime of the rule which he did not know. Good thing, because we moved and got into some Alpers to about 4lbs.

Just FYI

Mike

SierraPeaks
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
GOOD JOB! convict lake is one of my favorite places on earth. do you know if they allow personal boats onto the lake? i'd love to take a trip out there in the bass boat.

Yes...personal boats are permitted and no launch fee.

The ramp can be a little tricky if your tow vehicle is large (crew cab or RV) it's easy to lose sight of your boat because of the tight spot and quick drop off.

xjdesertfox
07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
yea ive seen the ramp, even the little marina area with the rocks seems a bit sketchy, but it will be worth it =D