PDA

View Full Version : Free Fishing spots

q5485
07-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi

I am a dad who is out of work at the moment and am trying to teach my 2 young boys (ages 6 & 7) how to fish. I got the fishing license but am finding the admission price of fishing to be prohibitively high (please consider my laid off status). I tried fishing off Redondo Beach Pier but had no luck.
Do you know of any places in Southern California where I can fish for free? This is my first post and I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting such a question here.
Thanks
K

Danny300
07-17-2010, 04:14 PM
where are you in so. cal?

q5485
07-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Torrance, in Los Angeles.

xjdesertfox
07-17-2010, 04:18 PM
well if you "walk" in to castaic lake you dont have to pay anything, meaning if youre willing to take a bit of a walk you wont have to pay at all considering your boys can fish without licenses.

i dont know exactly where youre located, so its hard to recommend a spot nearby

E.A.R.G.
07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi

I am a dad who is out of work at the moment and am trying to teach my 2 young boys (ages 6 & 7) how to fish. I got the fishing license but am finding the admission price of fishing to be prohibitively high (please consider my laid off status). I tried fishing off Redondo Beach Pier but had no luck.
Do you know of any places in Southern California where I can fish for free? This is my first post and I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting such a question here.
Thanks
K

Hey,
Sorry to hear about the job status, its rough times.
I fish the short pier when I do fish redondo, and find much more success there. (unless you're targeting mackerel)
The short pier, also known as the sportfishing pier, is located inside king harbor. Once again its a pier so fishing is free and no license is required. I find just tossing out a whole anchovie or strip of squid on carolina rig can produce some mixed bass, and tossing a swimbait or crankbait in the early A.M. can also produce bonito if they're in. The mackerel are also in occasionally, but you can get those off the long pier as well.
Good luck out there, hope you get on some fish and welcome to the boards!

q5485
07-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I will check out the short pier and Lake castaic.

DockRat
07-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey,
I fish the short pier when I do fish redondo

Yep, the short pier can be ok at times. They close the gate at 7:00 pm ?
DR

Bassnman Mike
07-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I know it would be quite the distance for you but Lake Isabella is free fishing. There are also plenty of free camping areas around the lake that you could make a weekend out of it and the catfish bite is wide open right now.

BassnMan Mike

SoCal_Bass_N
07-17-2010, 09:31 PM
well he did say he was from torrance. You can hit up ford park, cerritos regional and the highly fished LEGG LAKE. Goodlcuk! Sorry to hear about your unemployment but if i were your kids i would have the best dad taking me fishing as my dad never did! Awesome job DAD!

Nessie Hunter
07-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Surf and Bay fishing would be my Suggestion...

Almost any surf (beach) and most of the Bays, I prefer Newport as it has a lot of options.
Even free parking on Balboa Isl, and do a walk around the Isl.
Nice little quaint resort like down town area..
Kids would love to take the Ferry back & forth to Peninsula also (cheap) With fun zone on Peninsula side..
Or walk out to Balboa Pier....

Quite a few posts (informational) about Surf fishing also, heck of a lot of fun and free....

Good luck with the job situation...

Stephen
07-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Sorry to hear about the employment issue.
You might want to check out Cerritos Park Lake.
Fishing is free, and there is a park, kids can play as well, parking is $2.00.
Blue gill, trout and / or catfish, etc., you can check out the description on this site, under SoCal Lakes.
Right next to the 605 / I-5 intersection.
You might want to give the Redondo jetty a try, just south of the big pier.
And it is GREAT you have some time to teach the kids to fish.
I don't know whether your boys have any rods of their own.
If not, I have two identical Shakespeare Ugly Sticks, with reels, looking for a good home.
Because we are ALL in this, together ...

Seņor.Chilax
07-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't know whether your boys have any rods of their own.
If not, I have two identical Shakespeare Ugly Sticks, with reels, looking for a good home.
Because we are ALL in this, together ...

Now that's what FNN is all about. Much respect Stephen.

Stephen
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Thank you, bro.
And much respect to every American father, who would LOVE to work, and who is trying to take care of his family.
Life is hard, and is getting harder.
Gotta hang together, and help each other.

Swank909
07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
The harbor is a great spot as well, free parking, fishing and a great view (NPH at least). You can see the occasional seal and jellyfish just hanging around, also a variety of species you can catch; all of which put up a fun fight. We can help you figure out baits and tackle easy enough if thats what you decide to do. You will need your saltwater enhancement stamp though (same for the surf), its like $5.60 or somewhere in that price range.

P.S. Stephen, you're a good man.

CL SmooV
07-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes, you got some good advice here. See what city lakes are close to you and try those lakes. NPH would be worth it too.

If you need any freshwater tips, PLEASE shoot me a PM.

One more thing, I am a social worker, and my company has an employment department. If you PM me your resume I could forward job leads we to you thats up your alley.

Charles

Ifishtoolittle
07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Just catch seņorita fish at redondo they're everywhere. I mean they aren't very easy or good to eat but lots of fun! Just accquire some size 12 hooks and use 1/16oz splitshot on 4lb test and those boys will have a blast. Oh more thing bait is really not an issue those things will eat everything except themselves.

Stephen
07-20-2010, 04:02 PM
The harbor is a great spot as well, free parking, fishing and a great view (NPH at least). You can see the occasional seal and jellyfish just hanging around, also a variety of species you can catch; all of which put up a fun fight. We can help you figure out baits and tackle easy enough if thats what you decide to do. You will need your saltwater enhancement stamp though (same for the surf), its like $5.60 or somewhere in that price range.

P.S. Stephen, you're a good man.

Thank you, Swank909.
I am just a working stiff, DEEPLY concerned about what is going on right now with the country, our future, our livelihood, and the future of our children. And I am MOST concerned about men and women who WANT to work, who are EAGER to work, and they aren't given the opportunity.

bullets_full
07-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Los Alamitos Bay is free with free parking too. High tide brings in a lot of big rubber lip perch and jack smelt. You can use natural free baits there like mussels or even try and get some ghost shrimp out of the sand at nearby mother's beach.

_Bullets

Koshaw
07-21-2010, 08:25 AM
its a bit of a drive, but Jenks Lake when they stock it is good fishing if you just want to get out for a while and enjoy the scenery. Its 5$ per car only for parking.

Good luck!

smokehound
07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
There's a neat little spot in NPH we like to call "The Rail". it's a small channel that leads to Marcus Street.

Its part of the Newport Channel, and is small, but can be a great place to catch fish when the tide is going in or out. (I personally prefer an outgoing tide)

One side is the Elk's lodge side, on Via Oporto and Channel, near newport BLVD. This side has Metered parking, but has concrete benches, two shade trees, and you wont get caught in someone's propeller.

the other side of the channel is the Hospital parking lot, which has free parking, but nowhere to sit, so bring some chairs. This side you have to be careful on, because all the boats cross on this part of the channel, and if you arent vigilant, you will lose your rig in someone's propeller as they drive by.

there are signs that say "PRIVATE PARKING".. HOWEVER. if you clean up any trash you see before you fish, the Gatemaster will be pleased, and will overlook you. Dont litter there. If you do, and you return, the gatemaster will call the cops when you park.

There are usually perfect-sized smelt there, so bring a sabiki rig, and jig some up. A 3-4 inch smelt is perfect. Just hook him by the nose, and toss him out there.

During a good tide, it's excellent and can be WFO.

Dana Point Harbor has a small sport-fishing Pier but looks are deceiving. It's often WFO on monster Spotfin Croakers during an incoming tide.

Go down on the dock and cast parallel to the rocks. Use mussel, ghost shrimp, fresh market shrimp, or sand-crabs from the beaches.. The kids might find this place REAL fun, because there are tons of opal eye.

Bring a can of sweet corn, and small salmon-egg hooks. There are usually a few 10-12 inchers swimming around the dock.

Here's a tip for huge sargo there-- go right in the middle, and try to cast EXACTLY parallel to the buoy, about 5-7 feet away from it. the sargo love that spot.

For the spot at the Rail from the Elk's Lodge side-- 3456 Via Oporto Newport Beach, CA

For Dana Point Harbor Pier-- 24124 Dana harbor Drive, Dana Point, CA Just use google earth to get directions. =)

Hope this helps you. These spots work for me.