PDA

View Full Version : Civet Cat at San Antonio

hookjaw77
07-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Yep, I hate to post it for the world to see but I did suffer the big skunk yesterday at San Antone. Arrived at 6:00 to face a good wind and some wave action and a little on the cold side. Went straight to striper alley and hit it hard. Then back to the south side and beat it to death. moved up the the dam area with very few fish even marked and back to striper alley to no avail thinking it might get better as the lake settled down. Moved to chalk bluffs and marked bunches of fish but couldn't make them bite. worked all through the marina area and finally headed back to the alley. Then mother nature kicked me while I was down.
Hooked up the whole rig on some rocks and the work of trying to break fresh 40 lb line was on. Finally had to take about 10 wraps around my shoe, wind it down to the water line, put both feet against the side of the boat and push with the legs. Lost 3 beautiful SPRO bucktails jigs, 10 swimbaits, and my best trolling rig.......ouch!
That big 5" tandem fly used on lead core never even got a tap.
That's my story and I stickin to it.
Swanee

trail blazer
07-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Hay hookjaw,,,,,,,,,,,was you at s,tone friday?? You didn,t by any chance see a orange bass boat, MONARCH ,with a cpl BIG ole boys trolling around striper ally ,,Did ya?

Thanks for the report,,,The heat up there might have given,m lockjaw for a cpl days.

I hear tell it was chilly and windy in the morn then 104 deg that afternoon on fri.

TRAIL BLAZER

jim young
07-17-2010, 07:20 PM
You need a line counter on your reel if you are going to be trolling around umbrella rigs at the lake. The fish are deeper now. We caught limits of 7 to 13 pound fish there at night a few nights back. White Swim Bodies. That's my ten cents, my two cents is free. A nuisance, who sent? You sent for me? ...

cutbait
07-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Where you from Jim?

hookjaw77
07-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Didn't see any orange boat but there was a Whaler draggin some lines.

Was using a line counter!

Jim Y.- didn't send for ya, just offering up some info hopefully to help someone else.

Swanee

Fishbones
07-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Never Give Up!

TroutOnly
07-18-2010, 10:02 AM
THE WHALER BOAT WAS PROBABLY CARLOS , HES THERE EVERY CHANCE HE GETS , THE TWO GUYS IN THE ORANGE BOAT ARE THE SAN ANT SKUNK BROTHERS, THERE GOING SWANEE,THEY JUST CHANGE THE TIME OF DAY THEY GO TO WORK, LAST TRIP THE WIDE OPEN DIDNT HIT TILL ONE IN THE AFTERNOON AND WENT ON FOR THREE HOURS,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,THE MOON PHASES DO AFFECT THEM GREATLY,,,,,,,,,,,,

hookjaw77
07-18-2010, 01:48 PM
TO
That heat is pretty brutal on us old guys. Think I'm done until September when the Delta starts calling. My goal is to get a DD before Medicare kicks in.......not much time left.
Swanee

TroutOnly
07-18-2010, 04:32 PM
thats what those bimini tops are for ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all day for trolling and you still feel good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

snospdr
07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
My buddy and I ran into the same problem at San Antonio on Wednesday afternoon and evening. Lots of bait marked, some stripers marked, a load of birds sitting above - not a tap except for a nice smallmouth and a nice largemouth. We were trolling umbrella rigs on two rods, and tandem rig on another, then a spoon on a fourth. Yep, we did get some tangles and it wasn't pretty....

snospdr
07-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Oh, for anyone interested in saving those umbrella rigs when snagged up, there's a youtube video on a guy that uses quarter inch rope and a weighted treble on the end to slide down the line, hook the rig wire and break it free. Good video and maybe something to carry on the boat to avoid losing the whole damned thing. (Check out videos by searching "umbrella rigs for stripers")

TroutOnly
07-18-2010, 09:44 PM
IS THIS WHAT YOU WERE LOOKIN FOR,,,,,,,,,,,,,\
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0465JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ------------.jpg
DONT WASTE YOURE MONEY ON THOSE GIZMO'S THREE DIFFERENT FRIENDS BOUGHT THEM AND THEY NEVER GOT THEM TO WORK RIGHT AND THERE ALL VERY SMART GUYS AND VERY GOOD FISHERMEN,WATCH YOURE GRAPH AND KNOW WHERE YOURE AT IN THE WATER AND YOU WONT HAVE TROUBLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BAKO BOYS SHOULD AS YOU START CATCHING I'LL HAVE THAT LITTLE FISH OFF WITH YOU ,BUT YOU WONT LIKE WHAT I WILL MAKE YOU DO WHEN YOU LOSE, ASK GARY HE LOST TO ME AT PYARMID FISHING ON MY BOAT WITH ME AND I STILL GET CLIENTS WHO TALK ABOUT IT TO THIS DAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

trail blazer
07-18-2010, 10:25 PM
WORD IS that someone cought quite a few in the harris creek area,,,5 or 6 so im told,,,,DEEP,,just like you said,,,,,,,numbers like that wouldnt win a tourney,but it would get ,m on the board!,

TO WROTE

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BAKO BOYS SHOULD AS YOU START CATCHING I'LL HAVE THAT LITTLE FISH OFF WITH YOU ,BUT YOU WONT LIKE WHAT I WILL MAKE YOU DO WHEN YOU LOSE.

Heck BOB,No doubt your the MASTER!!,,,,,,We just want to put up a good showing,,,,,,,,Loosing aint so bad as long as you put up the good fight

SO,,On that note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ITS ONN!!

cutbait
07-19-2010, 04:56 AM
All I see is lips flappin.

cutbait
07-19-2010, 04:57 AM
Sorry swanee, we hijacked your thread

TroutOnly
07-19-2010, 07:38 AM
YEP YOURS CARPBAIT,,,,,,,,,,,,,OH IM SORRY I MEAN DOUGHBOYSKUNKJOB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SWANEES PROBABLY LAUGHING AT US ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

TroutOnly
07-19-2010, 07:47 AM
OR DID YOU MEAN THESE CARBOY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0461SSSSSSSSSSS------------1111.jpg
ONE OF THESE DAYS YOU WILL CATCH AT LEAST ONE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

snospdr
07-19-2010, 10:12 AM
About the gizmos, I've used them on my charter boat in Alaska for years and the ones I use work great. I also use them in Lake Havasu with good success. I just don't think the shoe trick works all that well ;)

cutbait
07-19-2010, 03:13 PM

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0461SSSSSSSSSSS------------1111.jpg
ONE OF THESE DAYS YOU WILL CATCH AT LEAST ONE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Limit is 2 BOB! your way over!

fishinone
07-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Limit is 2 BOB! your way over!

He had 9 guys fishing with him.

We know you know.

5.75. Striped Bass.

* (a) Open season: All year except for closures listed in special regulations.
* (b) Limit: Two, except in waters listed in (d) below.
* (c) Minimum size: 18 inches total length except in waters listed in (d) below.
* (d) Exceptions:
o (1) In the Colorado River District, the Southern District (except Lake Elsinore, and New Hogan, San Antonio and Santa Margarita lakes
+ (A) Limit: Ten.
+ (B) Minimum size: No size limit.
o (2) Lake Elsinore has the limit and minimum size shown in (b) and (c) above.
* (e) For the purpose of these regulations, any striped bass hybrid with white bass is considered to be striped bass.

Spaulding
07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Are those white sea bass?

TroutOnly
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
that would be right carpboy if it wasnt for the the special excemption,actually ron i had ten midgets on the boat that day,they got a group discount,,,,,UNLIKE CARPBOY,,,,LOL,,,,,

hookjaw77
07-19-2010, 06:22 PM
TO
I'm not one for competition with the master....just want to keep the skunk off my back. I'm still trying to execute what you taught me, evidently I'm a slow learner.
Swanee

jim young
07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm from Crenshaw.

TroutOnly
07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
YOU WILL GET IT SWANEE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
IS THIS WHAT YOU WERE LOOKIN FOR,,,,,,,,,,,,,\
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0465JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ------------.jpg
DONT WASTE YOURE MONEY ON THOSE GIZMO'S THREE DIFFERENT FRIENDS BOUGHT THEM AND THEY NEVER GOT THEM TO WORK RIGHT AND THERE ALL VERY SMART GUYS AND VERY GOOD FISHERMEN,WATCH YOURE GRAPH AND KNOW WHERE YOURE AT IN THE WATER AND YOU WONT HAVE TROUBLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BAKO BOYS SHOULD AS YOU START CATCHING I'LL HAVE THAT LITTLE FISH OFF WITH YOU ,BUT YOU WONT LIKE WHAT I WILL MAKE YOU DO WHEN YOU LOSE, ASK GARY HE LOST TO ME AT PYARMID FISHING ON MY BOAT WITH ME AND I STILL GET CLIENTS WHO TALK ABOUT IT TO THIS DAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,
Wait a minute Bob...there was no losing in that story there feller'....you put the joke on me and I rolled with it....

Them there's fightin words....

Now stop tellin' them thar stretchers Bob : )

Don't make me break out that pic from DVL that I used for reprisal ! wooo-hoo....yee-haw....

It was no bimini top but you were shading yourself with somethin that day !

Heh hehhehehheh

I'm looking for this lil fish off or did the sun meld them bako boys grapes into raisins...

Betta' watch out : )

Yeee-haw bako bretheren......bring it ....bring it : )

As for the skunk guys, sorry to hear that ....get on them again and shake some out ...they are there...stay on em and it'll happen.

That lake can be tricky....

"Thread the needle Bob....thread the needle !"

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Hey Bob....Carpbait actually DID catch some.......he did....he did....

WHEN I TOOK HIM OUT !

Yee-------HAW !