PDA

View Full Version : Sandbass, Barracudas @ Horseshoe Kelp On The Sea Angler

Fishbones
07-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Made plans with "ERIC" aka E.A.R.G formally knows as EyeAmRealGhetto to fish a 3/4day trip
out of 22st landing for some local horseshoe kelp fishing aboard the sea angler.
We arrived at 5:30 to find a huge line of people. Luckily most of them were heading out on
the full day on other boats and our final count for passengers was 39 which was great
compared to 80+ on the other boats that were super packed and probably a tangle fest
but thats what happens when they do specials like $45 for a full day of fishing.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0636-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0637-1.jpg
We motored over to the bait boat for a quick fill on mostly smaller size anchovies with
some sardines mixed in. After a quick 30min ride and visit to the galley for a burritto we
made it to the fishing grounds and anchored up at the "shoe" with the rest of the fleet
for a days fishing, weather was perfect and you couldnt ask for more than that.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0638-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0639-1.jpg
Captian said drop our baits down and a slow but steady pick started at the sandbass for
the first few hours of the day and as the bite picked up so did the size of the fish.
There were some nice grumpys being caught and the barracudas started to show with
fierce boils and aerial assaults on surface baits. The cudas were jig shy and only wanted
the flyline sardines and some plastics worked fast back to the boat but most cudas were
short and would just follow the bait but not commit.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0640-1.jpg
Most bass were caught on the dropper loop but towards the middle of the day when the
bite was on fire there were bass boiling on the surface and caught on flyline,split shot and
surface iron which is always pretty cool thing to see the bass airborne chasing bait and
crashing through the water and not scared to come super close to the boat.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0645-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0641-1.jpg
During the trip a younger angler hooked a big fish which ended up being the exotic of the day
after a nice fight a sweet 30" halibut was gaffed and the excitement began to flow for this guy.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0643-1-1.jpg
As the sun begain to beat down on us i started to sweat and the sun tan lotion started to
drip in my eye and burn really bad. This got me bothered being that i dont ever apply
sunblock to my face....Never again!! Eric and myself both had our flurries of hot sticks and
as fast as it started it died off. No worries because i am here for the good times and the
fish come second. We ended our day with slight wind and some current but the fish
stopped biting so it worked out. Over all it was a great trip out i met a few old school
FNN anglers and got to see a young kid catch his first nice halibut. My day was complete
with a smooth boat ride home while the deckhands cleaned our fish and the pinhead
scrubbed the boat on the way home.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0642-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0644-1.jpg
Thanks for reading and Tight Lines!

kpn
07-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Great job out there Alex & Eric.
Is that from yesterday?
It was nice to see you & some friends at T57 Memorial Service today bro.

Khanh.

Jackpot Jimmy
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Good job out there guys and nice report Alex! It was very nice to meet you and Eric today at Dana's Memorial Service.

And I forgot to tell you today (and sorry if this is a thread jack), but yesterday I got a 24" halibut on a UFO #1 jig on the back of our boat in King Harbor yesterday. You may want to do a ninja mission in King Harbor sometime in the near future!!

E.A.R.G.
07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
sha weeeet!!!

FUN TIMES BRO!!!

CUDA on 12 lb is some fun action there! But somehow, they felt a little weaker after catching a dozen or so batrays lol

GeordyBass
07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice job Alex looked like a fun trip! You looked like a cool spy today lol

JapanRon
07-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi Fishbones,

Thanks for the very nice photos and thurough, detailed, and entertaining report ....... as we FNN readers expect ..... er ..... well .... appreciate anyways. Anything less and ..... Dang Heat ! Heat reallly takes it out of ya huh ?! Did me !! Great gettin' out with another FNNer too !

You know what I'm gonna ask ..... so I don't need to ..... well ??

JapanRon

CAPT'N
07-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Looks like you two had a nice day on the bass!

Capt'n

CRESTLINER16
07-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the ultra sharp photos and great report.

smokehound
07-17-2010, 12:10 PM
exotic as in pacific halibut?

good report. that thing was a hawg.

marzocchi
07-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Looks like some mighty fine fishing out there Alex and Eric. Nice report.

riccobra
07-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Great report. It was a pleasure meeting Fishbones & Eric. Great guys. That was my nephew Matthew who caught the halibut on his first saltwater trip. You have a new fan of FNN

E.A.R.G.
07-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Great report. It was a pleasure meeting Fishbones & Eric. Great guys. That was my nephew Matthew who caught the halibut on his first saltwater trip. You have a new fan of FNN

HEY!!!

DUDE welcome to the board!!!!

helluva fish your nephew caught!! it was a pleasure meeting you out on the sea angler!!

flyngby
07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Alex,

Looks like a great return to the Shoe :Fishing Hole: and was almost as good as Mondays trip with the kids! I vote for the kids on Monday! :Smash: :Big Smile:

Some quality Grumpies there!

Eric,

Some fine fish as well and nice to meet you yesterday in the valley paying you respects to "Fisherman 57"

Keep up the great reports guys!

Steve

Fishbones
07-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Great job out there Alex & Eric. Is that from yesterday?
It was nice to see you & some friends at T57 Memorial Service today bro.Khanh.

Thanks Khanh, that was wendsday, great seeing you aswell bro we need to get out and fish!

Good job out there guys and nice report Alex! It was very nice to meet you and Eric today at Dana's Memorial Service.And I forgot to tell you today (and sorry if this is a thread jack), but yesterday I got a 24" halibut on a UFO #1 jig on the back of our boat in King Harbor yesterday. You may want to do a ninja mission in King Harbor sometime in the near future!!

Thanks Jimmy, Great meeting you and owner of the tradition, you two are really good people.
Congrats on the harbor butt bro thats great...bet it suprised you huh..
i will hit up the harbor soon enuff thanks.

sha weeeet!!!FUN TIMES BRO!!!
CUDA on 12 lb is some fun action there! But somehow, they felt a little weaker after catching a dozen or so batrays lol

Always great times with you Eric, cudas on 12lb is a challenge for sure, batrays do fight amazing ...

Nice job Alex looked like a fun trip! You looked like a cool spy today lol

Thanks Geordy bro, I use to work as security at a big club and thats one of many spy suits i have..lol

Hi Fishbones,Thanks for the very nice photos and thurough, detailed, and entertaining report ....... as we FNN readers expect ..... er ..... well .... appreciate anyways. Anything less and ..... Dang Heat ! Heat reallly takes it out of ya huh ?! Did me !! Great gettin' out with another FNNer too !You know what I'm gonna ask ..... so I don't need to ..... well ??
JapanRon

Hey JapanRon, I take pride in my reports and try to put readers there through my reports,
what were you gonna ask?

Looks like you two had a nice day on the bass!Capt'n

We did scott, even though the bite was ones and twos i always enjoy being on the water regardless.

Thanks for the ultra sharp photos and great report.

Anytime Crestliner, thats what im after.

exotic as in pacific halibut?good report. that thing was a hawg.

Yeah, it was the exotic for the day, meaning the only one to be boarded.

Looks like some mighty fine fishing out there Alex and Eric. Nice report.

Thanks Marzz, we always have fun fish or no fish,

Hey Riccobra, Great to see you on the board, Welcome, it was a pleasure to meet you and your nephew, watching him fight that sweet halibut was awesome, congrats to him again, looking forward to fishing with you guys again

Alex,Looks like a great return to the Shoe :Fishing Hole: and was almost as good as Mondays trip with the kids! I vote for the kids on Monday! :Smash: :Big Smile:Some quality Grumpies there!
Keep up the great reports guys!Steve

Thanks Steve, it was a great day on the water, but missing all the little buddy fisherman running mayhem on the deck.
lets get out and fish it up soon.

ldsaylor
07-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Great Report and pics! looks like a really good day out there!

jiggaman
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
let me know when u guys roll out next time i work at that landing and might roll

TroutOnly
07-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I got sunblock in my eye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wheres the bigfish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Fishbones
07-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Great Report and pics! looks like a really good day out there!

thanks ldslayor, it was a beautiful day out no dout about that.

let me know when u guys roll out next time i work at that landing and might roll

Sounds good jiggaman, will do mabye next week.

I got sunblock in my eye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wheres the bigfish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LOL, good one uncle bob,.,.,i dont always catch the toads,.,.like i said,.,.i had sunblock in my eye....lol

JapanRon
07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi again fishbones,

Well ........... it's about the only question I wonder about or ask when I see some fish have been caught !!
Hints:
1) Weighs between 1/2 and 2ozs normally but can go to 8 pounds.
2) Both multi-metal and plastic parts.
3) Comes in various colors or color combos.
4) Best fished 'naked' from a private boat drifting over structure.
5) Makes a fish bite on first impression.
6) Makes anglers bite at the tackle shop.
7) Made for any style of fishing you'd want to do.
8) Preferred tackle would be Bass tackle.
9) Available in lengths of 1/2 to 18 inches.
10) Causes the user to HATE Barracuda.

JapanRon

Which Way Out
07-19-2010, 03:52 PM
That looked like a great round of Therapy.

Hitts0n
07-21-2010, 12:34 PM
slayage! congrats brotha!

EL_CHIDO
07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I was looking thru Craigslist today and I see that the Sea Angler is up for sale.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bfs/1855054972.html

Anybody wanna go in on this?

:P

Fishbones
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi again fishbones,

Well ........... it's about the only question I wonder about or ask when I see some fish have been caught !!
Hints:
1) Weighs between 1/2 and 2ozs normally but can go to 8 pounds.
2) Both multi-metal and plastic parts.
3) Comes in various colors or color combos.
4) Best fished 'naked' from a private boat drifting over structure.
5) Makes a fish bite on first impression.
6) Makes anglers bite at the tackle shop.
7) Made for any style of fishing you'd want to do.
8) Preferred tackle would be Bass tackle.
9) Available in lengths of 1/2 to 18 inches.
10) Causes the user to HATE Barracuda.

JapanRon

We caught fish...

That looked like a great round of Therapy.

it always is regardless of the fishing, i love being out on the water with good friends, thats the goal of fishing

I was looking thru Craigslist today and I see that the Sea Angler is up for sale.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bfs/1855054972.html

Anybody wanna go in on this?

:P

LoL, im down.,.,it can be the sites boat...lol

E.A.R.G.
07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
"Captain and crew can come with business"

LOL!! hahah poor crew, must be praying to keep their jobs