PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake 7-14 & 7-15

2jackedLUNGS
07-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Went to Big Bear with the family July 13-15th. Great weekend except for the heat during the day. Woke up a little late the morning of the 14th because we took my 2 year old nephew. I thought it would be fun taking him but he ended up being more of a distraction. I think 2 is a little young for fishing. We fished the north shore a little east of the dam. There's alot of construction going on at the dam so you can't really fish from it. No luck the first day, tried powerbait and NC no luck. I did manage to catch a baby catfish on a NC. The next morning woke up at 4 and got lines in water by 5, no nephew this time, just took my sister who's never been trout fishing. Within 15 minutes we had our first one. Steady bite all morning we landed 7 in 2 hours and farmed 3 or 4. All were pretty small, about a foot long and caught on garlic chartreuse PB. All fish were safely released after removing the hooks.

P.S. Bring mosquito repellent, got lit up by them in the early morning.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/Fish/1.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/Fish/2.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/Fish/5.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/Fish/4.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/Fish/3.jpg

skunkmaster
07-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Cool pictures, thanks for the report!

Fishbones
07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
congrats on the bear trout,sweet pics too, thanks for sharing.

E.A.R.G.
07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
awesome trout on the first pic.
nice fins, looks possibly like a holdover?
those little catfish are probably the bullheads. the lakes been FULL of them
congrats!

billy b
07-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Nice work. What's with the pink beads? Looks like a sliding sinker ... with swivel? ... but beads in between?

Prowler_Tuber
07-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Great Pics very nice post

E.A.R.G.
07-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Nice work. What's with the pink beads? Looks like a sliding sinker ... with swivel? ... but beads in between?

i heard they help protect the knot by not having the lead hitting the knot at the swivel.
and i heard they help attract fish over, they think its roe or something, then they eat your bait.
who knows.

2jackedLUNGS
07-17-2010, 12:23 PM
i heard they help protect the knot by not having the lead hitting the knot at the swivel.
and i heard they help attract fish over, they think its roe or something, then they eat your bait.
who knows.

exactly. the beads protect the knot at the swivel and keeps the sinker from rubbing on my guide during travel. i heard that they can attract fish as well, but i use them mostly for knot protection.

TroutMad
07-17-2010, 12:35 PM
It amazes me how many superstitions fishermen have. It goes with the territory. I'm not saying necessarily that line does not become frayed but there are countless things that could cause that in the water itself. It's not like the sinker has a serated edge and is traveling back and forth at a high rate of speed resulting in friction. Why wouldn't tackle companies just cast the sinker in red? It would be a couple less items for the lne to get tangled in which in itself can cause line to get frayed.

E.A.R.G.
07-22-2010, 11:47 PM
i don't see how thats a superstition.
doing a dance before casting is superstition...

TroutMad
07-23-2010, 09:57 AM
LOL, well that may be true. Maybe it would be better stated as illogical. I have never thought of using anything to prevent the sinker rubbing on the knot. I just don't think it's a factor. Almost exclusively, my line breaks are on the hook side of the swivel when I use one. Fisherman have many belief systems. How is that?

2jackedLUNGS
07-24-2010, 01:39 PM
LOL, well that may be true. Maybe it would be better stated as illogical. I have never thought of using anything to prevent the sinker rubbing on the knot. I just don't think it's a factor. Almost exclusively, my line breaks are on the hook side of the swivel when I use one. Fisherman have many belief systems. How is that?

Why is it illogical? There's plenty of logic behind using beads. It prevents the possibility of the sinker from rubbing the knot, it protects the rod tip, and the bright colors can potentially attract fish. Just because you never thought of the sinker rubbing the knot doesn't mean it can't happen. At the very LEAST it doesn't hurt anything because I catch plenty of fish using that rig.

SierraPeaks
07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
My superstition is to drink a beer every 10 minutes.

That way I don't care at the end of the day what condition my knots are in. :>)

Seriously though....beads can't hurt your chances at all. They are especially effective on a worm harness.

187fish
07-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Congrats on a successful trip. Great report with great pics.

smokehound
07-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I will use a red/clear bead to prevent my smaller swivels from jamming into my egg sinker. they seem to stop the leader from looping over the sinker as well.

they DO attract fish. Especially in the surf. Trout are known to be attracted to red and pink beads. In fact, many fly fishermen use nothing BUT beads for trout =)

just look at doc spottie's posts.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot. Good job on the BBL trout.

JimmisLine
07-24-2010, 07:50 PM
NIce pictures, good report.

Lunker1979
07-26-2010, 01:04 AM
I've got two words for you boogers....CAROLINA KEEPERS!

Ammon
07-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Amen Lunker1979

drifter023
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
It amazes me how many superstitions fishermen have.

You mean you do not dance before you cast or spit on your bait and name it after your favorite girl?

drifter023
07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Yea nice post and photos hope to head up there in a few weeks but got to get trailer brakes working first...