PDA

View Full Version : San Gabriel River

Poseidon
07-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Do you guys know how the river is doing? is the fishing good? is the water flow high? did it yet open up? After the fires I didn't make a trip up there. I live far away from there, I want to make sure it is worth the trip up there.

tacklejunkie
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I was up there two weeks ago. Flows are good, lots of water. Lots of people too. I don't like fishing that area. I usually go to more quiet spots. =)

P.S.. posted some pics of ACH (Angeles Crest Highway) today in your other thread.

Some parts of it are all burnt out. Half way through to wrightwood the forest kicks back in.

rufustf
07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
I went up to both forks about six weeks ago on a weekday. On the e. fork there were some folks on the trail to the bridge, and the w. fork had a couple of lone crazy people wandering the trail. Weird, but seemingly harmless. Had a few bites on the w. fork. The further up you go the nicer it is (i.e. less people & evidence of them). There is a population of native trout in both forks.

Since there has been no stocking since the lawsuit there, I'm of the opinion that all the fish should be safely released. Unfortunately the regulations for the San Gabriel haven't changed since the stocking ceased, but this cool local river will be permanently ruined as a fishery if people fish it out. Since trout usually swallow bait, & barbs do some damage I'd say no barbs, no bait.

I'd imagine that most folks here would agree on that.

Most of the area had recovered nicely from the fires, or at least what I saw. I didn't make it too far up the w. fork, and on the e. fork went up to the first river crossing and it was too hard and fast to safely cross IMO.

Flows are probably a little lower now.

BTW-I apologize if the bit about catch and release seems a bit preachy, I just don't know what you or anybody else has planned so I just thought I'd mention that if you weren't hip to the non-stocking policy, etc. It wasn't my intent to lecture, just inform. Have a good one.

Poseidon
07-18-2010, 11:59 PM
I totally agree with you, thanks for all the info