PDA

View Full Version : Lure pointers for the ocean

Lunker1979
07-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Headed down to Chula Vista in a few days and gonna hit the ocean. I am getting ready to head to bass Pro to pick up some gear. I don't fish salt all that often and was wondering what lures I should pick up. I'm gonna take my Curado/Crucial set-up with braid and just wash it down when I'm done. If you guys could give me some lure suggestions that would be great. I'll be targeting anything that bites. Thanks again!

bsp
07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Perch-101

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Intro-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf...

Those pretty much cover it, but if you've got any more questions definitely ask them.

Lunker1979
07-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah those are two good, well written articles, thank you. What about using good gear in salt water? I'm assuming you can just rinse and clean them when you are done? I'm just worried about taking my $500 set-ups out in the salt!

bsp
07-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I use expensive gear in saltwater with no problems, and Wingnut even uses his Steezs on occasion! As long as you rinse them off in freshwater, you're fine. If they get soaked or dropped in sand though, you need to do a complete tear down and cleaning. Other than that, it's no different than taking them to the lake.

Lunker1979
07-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Alright, I'l give it a try! Thanks again. You seem to be the only one responding unless you've read my posts 54 times............I'm headed to Bass Pro to pick up a few things. Thanks again!

xjdesertfox
07-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I use expensive gear in saltwater with no problems, and Wingnut even uses his Steezs on occasion! As long as you rinse them off in freshwater, you're fine. If they get soaked or dropped in sand though, you need to do a complete tear down and cleaning. Other than that, it's no different than taking them to the lake.

This.

Alright, I'l give it a try! Thanks again. You seem to be the only one responding unless you've read my posts 54 times............I'm headed to Bass Pro to pick up a few things. Thanks again!

my recommendation on gear for the salt. which is evertything i own.

1-2 luckycraft flashminnow 110's, 1 in sardine or american shaf, 1 in ghost white,
1-2 daiwa minnow 13's, 1 in golden/black 1 in sardine
1-2 white bucktail jigs
zoom flukes in white ice or baitfish - dropshot
zoom magnum flukes on 1/2oz jighead
Big hammer swimbaits on 1/2 oz jig head in batifish/christmas colors
Berkley Gulp Jerkshad in new penny, smelt. Some other colors work well too, but PM me if you want those.

if youre on somewhat of a budget, i sugget:
1-2 Daiwa Minnow lures
1/2 oz jigheads with eyes
1 pack of 5" Big Hammer swimbaits
White ice super flukes
New penny Gulp Jerkshad

bsp
07-16-2010, 04:58 PM

No worries, and other guys will definitely chime in, like DesertFox did. His suggestions are dead on, and the Magnum Flukes and 5in Big Hammers are definitely worth a shot for calicos or WSB from the surf.

To elaborate off of his, I'd add 3/4oz WAR Heads (with or without skirt) too for a weedless presentation on the swimbaits (get some 4in with the 5in), and throw in 3in Big Hammers or Pearls on 1/4oz or 3/8oz lead heads. Go with anything that has browns, greens, some clear, and a bit of red. I like a lot of flake. Nuclear chicken is a surprisingly good Gulp! color if you feel like rocking something really off the wall.