PDA

View Full Version : June Lake loop

IK13
07-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Going there this weekend (staying at Oh! Ridge) with kids and friends.
Never fished any of the lakes there before and could use some tips on the area?
Looking primarily for fishing the lakes from the shore. How's the access, good spots?
Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks.

Fisher X
07-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Try the backside of Gull lake (opposite the marina). You will continue driving past the lake on June Lake Loop road and you will see a sign and a dirt road just past Gull Lake Campground on the right hand side. I believe the sign says something like boat launch ramp. Fishing is good off or around the dock and also if you take the trail to the right of the dock and go to the large rock outcropping. Try Salmom Peach powerbait.

Good Luck!!!

SierraPeaks
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Boat rentals at Gull are the most reasonable of all Sierra lakes. I would strongly suggest a boat at least one day.

Big Country
07-16-2010, 11:17 AM
the playground at gull is a decent spot for the family...picnic tables, restrooms and playground 20 feet away from the water. the closer you fish to the north side (away from the marina), the less you have to cast your line out to get to the fish. Closer to the marina is a shallow and it takes a long cast to get to the fish.

kaiyasdad
07-16-2010, 11:41 AM
if you do rent a boat at gull, try right out in front of the tackle shop along the jetty. anchor on the side of the launch ramp and cast parallel to it where it drops off. also use a long leader (5ft).

billy b
07-16-2010, 03:32 PM
if you do rent a boat at gull, try right out in front of the tackle shop along the jetty. anchor on the side of the launch ramp and cast parallel to it where it drops off. also use a long leader (5ft).

Huh? Sorry ... I'm slow ... but definitely interested. You say anchor outside the jetty ... in front of the tackle shop - boat stand, etc.

Near the launch ramp end? Am I right, so far?

And then cast out parallel to the launch ramp? ... like towards the big rock on the far side? ... or towards the highway?

5 foot leader ... wow ... got that ... never would have tried that ... thanks

SierraPeaks
07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Other spots on the other lakes for shore fishing is the inlet at Silver...and the higway side of June (a little steep getting down there...but with the snow gone...not too much trouble)

kaiyasdad
07-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Huh? Sorry ... I'm slow ... but definitely interested. You say anchor outside the jetty ... in front of the tackle shop - boat stand, etc.

Near the launch ramp end? Am I right, so far?

And then cast out parallel to the launch ramp? ... like towards the big rock on the far side? ... or towards the highway?

5 foot leader ... wow ... got that ... never would have tried that ... thanks

i brought my depthfinder and i anchored in 30ft. and that is all the anchor rope i had. head out and double anchor so you will be perpendicular to the jetty about 20 yards from the end. cast paralel to the jetty. the main thing here is LONG LEADER.

billy b
07-17-2010, 09:23 AM
i brought my depthfinder and i anchored in 30ft. and that is all the anchor rope i had. head out and double anchor so you will be perpendicular to the jetty about 20 yards from the end. cast paralel to the jetty. the main thing here is LONG LEADER.

I got it now! I'll be back there soon and will try that ... and follow up with a post.

MAN VS WILD
07-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Gull lake the playground area is perfect for the family. Restrooms and a big play area for the kids alongwith tables and bbqs. Also has a big bonfire pit for the night. I caught some nice browns right there on a castmaster. Make sure you take the kids to feed the trouts by the marina. Gull is where I caught my biggest fish in the loop.

Silver Lake is really nice to fish early morning or late afternoon. it's beautiful and peaceful. Fishing is family friendly anywhere across from the cafe and next to the boat rentals. Take the kids to the trout pool to feed the big trouts they have in there. No fishing here but the kids get a kick out of the fish going crazy when you throw in the fish feed you get from the store there. Usually early morning or late afternoon you'll catch some deers walking around. This is my favorite lake to fish especially around 6pm when the sun starts to go down behind the moutains.

June lake by the marina or across by the beach area.

Grant is cool, got some big fish in there, it's just not as scenic as the other 3.

Good luck up there, I know you and the family will have a good time!!

FISH ON!!!

IK13
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys!

The reason I'm asking for shore fishing advice is not the rental price. I simply don't trust the kids in a boat yet.

Mike274
07-21-2010, 07:23 AM
IK13,

Sent you a PM.

Mike

IK13
07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks again for all the suggestions. There's the quick report.
On the way up made a quick stop in Bishop for about 20 minutes. Got one and missed one.
The next day kids fished Gull (beautiful!) from the dock opposite to the marina/beach. I played mostly hook retying service and mosquito bait (haven't seen them this mean in quite awhile) and didn't fish at all. My son got 3 fish on powerbait and gulp until noon. Nothing spectacular, but two of the fish weighted more than a pond gutted and cleaned. People were doing well from the boats.
We moved around, checked out Grant (don't ask why) then Silver. My kid got one more there (and I lost about a pint of blood to the skeeters). Headed back to camp and missed the evening bite.
Sunday packed and headed down. Stopped again in Bishop for a couple of hours. I got 4 on spinners, my son pulled one on a worm. The bite slowed down, the heat was up, the place got a crowded with people, kids and dogs playing in the water and it was time for us to go.

billy b
07-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Where were you fishing in Bishop. Thanks for the great report. Fishing with the kids will be memories for a lifetime.