PDA

View Full Version : Leadcore???

goodguy
07-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi,
I've never fished leadcore before. I'm going to give it a go next week up in the sierras. I have a good rod and reel setup for leadcore...
Just want to know a few things...
1.How much backing is usually used and what lb test do you usually use?
2.Also what pound test leader? And how long of a leader do you use?

THANK YOU!!!

wulfman
07-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Lead core. Fun stuff. Well on the setup i have that i use up there i don't have any backing. The leadcore takes up the whole spool. i can get about 50ft on the troll ( that's having ten colors out.) I probably wouldn't go much more deeper with leadcore only cause that's alot of line to let out and to reel in. It's about ten yards a color. Plus the fish up there at this time of year are usually between forty-twenty feet down. As far as pound test on the leadcore, for trout i'd use between twelve and eighteen pound and as far as the leader, well i wouldn't use anything less than six with no more than thirty yards and if you really want to get fancy go with flourocarbon leader, that stuff catches fish!

goodguy
07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Thank you sir! Any help I can get is awesome... This will be my first attempt at using leadcore.

Oh, what kind of knot is used to connect your leadcore to your leader???

SierraPeaks
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Don't use backing for Eastern Sierra lakes. You don't have to go that deep. I use 8 lb Fireline for my leader....about 30 to 40 feet. And...this is very important....when tying your leadcore to your leader, you need to remove about a foot of the lead leaving just the braided line to tie to.
If you haven't done it or have trouble with it...stop at any sporting goods store in Mammoth and have them do it for you and show you how to do it. If you don't do this....you will not only have a weak knot...but the knot won't be able to pass through your line guide.

TrouTracker
07-16-2010, 12:42 PM
To GG- Leadcore line is really a "specialty" line. The line at local shops are usually between 12 to 18 lbs in leadcore weight. I happen to use 15 lb leadcore. The drop rate for leadcore line calculation is pretty easy: Take your leadcore line weight and divide by "3". For my 15 lb leadcore line, it's dropping at 5' per color. For 18 lb leadcore line, it's dropping at 6' per color. For your leader line, use a high quality flourocarbon at a minimum of 45'. With 45' you have plenty of extra line in case you have line problems. Also, the cost of the flourocarbon will be relatively inexpensive. You may want to use a high quality ball bearing small swivel to prevent line twisting. It'll take you a little practice to get to your comfort level, but with the leadcore, you'll get down to where the fish are. Good luck and be patient......
Barry A. Ogawa

goodguy
07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks to everyone! Any more information is always helpful, I am a rookie with this leadcore... But an experienced fisherman so I'm sure with all the help I've received on here it'll all work out just fine.
Thanks again!