PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Salmon.

FISHINGBEE
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Being i spent most of my childhood in No Cal i have to ask myself whats really happening to our fishery. After reading about how the stripers are the cause of the decline i just had to laugh. The recent El Nino years and the increase population of seals leads me to believe otherwise. I do not believe the Salmon were over fished either. The increase of Salinity hitting our bays and Deltas tells me different also. The lack of rainy years have not helped much either. Creeks and rivers in Carmel and Santa Cruz that were swarming with salmon 20 years ago are now dry. Not to mention the increase of Giant squid could also be a huge factor. With less bait fish around theres not much for the salmon to eat besides creel. Maybe the Native Indian nets allowed to catch tons of Salmon in the river should be checked into also. As for seals in rivers just about leaving a mark on every salmon. Does anyone want to put a stop to Over seal populations no. Someone needs to step in and try to save our salmon now or there will be no more salmon. As for the stripers seems as if a decline in bass has also been going on also. Counts are way down and the only fish i notice making a showing is Halibut. So whats your opinion?

FISHINGBEE

PS the alarming number of dunge crabs up bay is a sure sign of high salinity.

FISHINGBEE
07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
No one cares. That might be why they are missing in action. Now i know who cares.

salmonheadsoup
02-02-2011, 09:43 PM
one factor to consider is healthy ocean conditions! salmon need a staple supply to feed on, if the ocean id void of feed or spare the salmon can die off and not substain...