PDA

View Full Version : Pier fishing newbie question....

mrnish
07-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Ok, so I have never fished at a pier, and the only other fishing experience I had was when I was about 8 years old...so basically, I know nothing. With that being said, my stupid question is....After you catch bait fish, is it better to use it right then and there to get other fish or can you freeze it and use it later??.

Thanks for the help!!

E.A.R.G.
07-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Alive is generally the best way to go.
What are you fishing for and from which pier? Given that information, it would be easier to give specific information.

for example. Halibut off of piers. Just about the best bait you can use is live smelt. Catch it off the pier and pin one on right away. If you're going to hold onto it, you need an airator and a apparatus of some sort to contain the bait. Once the smelt dies it significantly reduces in efficiency.

bonito off of piers. sardines and large chovies. once again live is best.

mackerel off of piers. any cut/frozen/fresh bait will generally work. here it doesn't seem to matter. catch a mackerel, slice that sucker up and catch some more.

good luck out there!

mrnish
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Alive is generally the best way to go.
What are you fishing for and from which pier? Given that information, it would be easier to give specific information.

for example. Halibut off of piers. Just about the best bait you can use is live smelt. Catch it off the pier and pin one on right away. If you're going to hold onto it, you need an airator and a apparatus of some sort to contain the bait. Once the smelt dies it significantly reduces in efficiency.

bonito off of piers. sardines and large chovies. once again live is best.

mackerel off of piers. any cut/frozen/fresh bait will generally work. here it doesn't seem to matter. catch a mackerel, slice that sucker up and catch some more.

good luck out there!

I'm fishing off of Cayucos pier and fishing for not anything in particular, but I guess I should get a more specific type of fish to catch....Thanks for your help EyeAmRealGhetto!!

eyedea
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Cayucos pier should be having some sardines come through soon, which I am waiting for to fish for some halibut. I've heard you can fish there at night and catch sharks, but I have never tried it myself

mrnish
07-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Cayucos pier should be having some sardines come through soon, which I am waiting for to fish for some halibut. I've heard you can fish there at night and catch sharks, but I have never tried it myself

I believe halibut will be my fish of choice...do you use a whole sardine or cut it up?

E.A.R.G.
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I believe halibut will be my fish of choice...do you use a whole sardine or cut it up?

whole live is the way to go.
if you can get an anchovie, it might work better.
but best bait for them in my opinion is the smelt. try to get a live fresh smelt on there, bout 4-5 inch long.
toss it out on a carolina rig with about a 18 inch leader to give it room to swim around.

Fishbones
07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
get a sabiki and catch bait then fish it for the butts, slay away...

DockRat
07-16-2010, 07:55 PM
You can always try Shark fishing.

Hooking of 3 Great White Sharks Off Pier Stirs Debate
Water safety: Some swimmers and lifeguards in Manhattan Beach are concerned that sportfishermen are luring creatures that might pose a threat to humans.

The controversy was sparked on Aug. 31 when sportfisherman Mike Walker, a 39-year-old Manhattan Beach resident, hooked his first of two great white sharks in a week.

Walker, who says he fishes shark for fun rather than for food, landed the shark on the sand just long enough to take its measurements--6 feet, 11 inches--before releasing the animal into the waves.

Hooking of 3 Great White Sharks Off Pier Stirs Debate
Water safety: Some swimmers and lifeguards in Manhattan Beach are concerned that sportfishermen are luring creatures that might pose a threat to humans.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-09-11/local/me-67_1_great-white-shark

DR

E.A.R.G.
07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
i thought you had to cut your line as soon as you found out its a great white?