PDA

View Full Version : Nice Night @ the Goon 7/13

CL SmooV
07-14-2010, 09:20 AM
I woke up yesterday morning, took a look out the window and noticed something we all havent seen in weeks: clear skies, no overcast, a high pressure system, finally!

I knew off the bat it would be one of those nice california nights, nice enough to fish comfortably and maybe lip a bassy.

I got to the lake around 9ish, maybe 10, cant remember. There was a nice crowd there fishing all over the east bank. I noticed most guys drop shot'n or fly lining plastics. I opted to go with some shallow crankers. I spend all kinds of money and never use enough of my crankbaits.

I opted to toss out a rapala xrap subwalker, one I dont think ive used since I bought it. Third cast I lipped this momma. She was heavy and a helluva fighter. Now, my wifey is out of town on business, which is why I got out in the first place, and she took the diggy cam with her on accident. So, I had to bootleg rig a pic with my cam phone in total darkness using my headlight. I tried my best. Im guessin she was a good 6/7 pounder.

Aside from the fishing, it was just a nice night, fresh air, bunch a stars, and a comfy temp. I fished for another hour and left with lots of short strikes, no hook sets. Better luck next time....

Smoov

stg68
07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Good Job, nice fish

SDDave
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
you should have lay it down next to your reel for a better shot...

fishinone
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice catch.

That looks like pretty good luck the way it turned out.

CL SmooV
07-14-2010, 03:07 PM
you should have lay it down next to your reel for a better shot...

oh trust me my man, i tried everything! i turned into a psycho bass photographer, tryin to get light for a good shot of this big girl. THAT pic there was the best i could muster in safe enough time to get her back home. the others pics looked horrible. i went to a place at lunch today to buy a diggy cam for my spontaneous fishing adventures. this wont happen.

GotBass?
07-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Right on man way to get out there and get some!! Glad to hear the crankbait bites are picking up. Based on the teeth from my recent catches Id say the bass have moved off the creature/craw pattern and onto baitfish. Thanks for the report

shy_boxer
07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Put yo time in Cl Smoov. There are some monster bass at the goon! Thanks for the report!

Fishbones
07-16-2010, 04:43 PM
congrats on the goon bass, CL

DarkShadow
07-16-2010, 08:44 PM
I heard the Goon can be notorious for baby rattlers during the summer nights.

You've ever encounter any?

CL SmooV
07-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I heard the Goon can be notorious for baby rattlers during the summer nights.

You've ever encounter any?

rattlers, rats, muskrats, racoons, coyotes, all that. ive been fishing the goon since the early 80's. seen it all.

i have only heard them this year, havent seen any. most being under rocks or up in the brush off of the trails.

just stay on the trails as much as possible and you will be fine and high on the top of rocks while fishing. the
goon in the summer is frequented by so many people that most of the snakes retreat away from all of our activity.

but i did say MOST. keep a light aimed in front of you while you walk. always.

i may be headed up there tonight, wish me luck. fish and snake avoidal!

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
I can tell by that mouth it was a nice chunker....

congrats on a job well done....

lay that steel foundation !

Salute..

sweet !

Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-23-2010, 05:56 PM
did you go last night ? (thurs )

CL SmooV
07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
did you go last night ? (thurs )

I did....

Hit it hard from 10 to 1.

One 2 pounder.....3 missed hook sets....

I got the 2 pounder by the boat ramp on a rap shallow walker. Snatched it.

Im back out there tomorrow night....I need to feel another DD soon! i'm jones'n