PDA

View Full Version : What net do you use?

Greg Madrigal
07-14-2010, 07:47 AM
I am doing research for my custom wood net business and need your help tubers & yakkers! What configuration of net do you like to use? Please reply to the thread for everyone's benefit.

Please include:
1. Material (wood, aluminum, etc.),
2. Overall length
3. Shape (teardrop, round, elongated, etc.)
4. Hoop size (length x width)
5. Where you typically fish (salt or fresh) with that net.
6. Bag material (rubber, lightweight rubber, cotton, nylon, etc.)
7. Lanyard info to include lanyard length, clip type, etc.

Any comments or suggestions on your ideal net would be appreciated.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/SierraNet17.jpg

GM<><

olfishergal
07-14-2010, 09:50 AM
soooooo, I will rate my net once I actually get it..........lmAO!!!!

Seņor.Chilax
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
soooooo, I will rate my net once I actually get it..........lmAO!!!!

If that's the case, send Me one. I'll be happy to rate and give your nets a good review.

Liteweight
07-21-2010, 05:18 AM
FOR Freshwater nets I'd prefer to see wood (ie. teak w/maple or walnut w/maple) my best example would be Brodin's line of nets (they have 2 long handle float tube/guide nets) all with clear rubber net bags and 24"-36" handles.
For Saltwater nets I would like to see strong aluminum handles at least 36" in length with a round hoops about 24" in diameter.
LW.

midgettosser1
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't use mine much, but its a folding, aluminum w/ ~24in diameter. The folding helps, cuz when i sit in a rod holder, the net isn't sitting up high, behind my head.
Just make sure the handle fits in a rod holder or similarly sized pvc pipe.

sonarbp
08-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I am doing research for my custom wood net business and need your help tubers & yakkers! What configuration of net do you like to use? Please reply to the thread for everyone's benefit.

Please include:
1. Material (wood, aluminum, etc.),
2. Overall length
3. Shape (teardrop, round, elongated, etc.)
4. Hoop size (length x width)
5. Where you typically fish (salt or fresh) with that net.
6. Bag material (rubber, lightweight rubber, cotton, nylon, etc.)
7. Lanyard info to include lanyard length, clip type, etc.

Any comments or suggestions on your ideal net would be appreciated.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/SierraNet17.jpg

GM<><

That is a very nice looking net!

I mainly tube the salt so a net like that will most likely get destroyed!!! I carry a cheap metal frame net..but never use it unless I plan on keeping the fish. I also carry a lip gripper..that is what I use to land most of my fish.

sonarbp

LBSea
08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I lost a Huge trout last year because the net was not deep enough. Over half the fish was sticking out when we tried to lift the fish out of the water. We still talk about that day!

Most tubers will or should pull small fish into their laps and would not need a net for small fish. For big fish I would suggest the following. Or just use a gaff if you plan on keeping the fish.

A Packable Net - If using wood maybe folding handle or something.

Deep Net with Small Mesh. The small mesh is much easier on the fish than the big 1/2" - 3/4" nylon mesh.

By the way - Beautiful Nets!

LBSea

qbi2001
08-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I use this one

http://www.frabill.com/store/landing-nets/trout-nets/3670.html

I fish from a kayak primarily freshwater, dimmensions work well for me.

DockRat
08-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Re Saltwater; In a boat it is Ca state law that you carry a net. I believe the min size opening can not be smaller than 18" I believe. You can get a ticket for fishing without a net.

Question Greg.

What about a Yak or Tube. I would think a Yak would be the same rules as a boat ?

I use a big black aluminum Promar net on my boat.

Your nets are too nice to use. I prefer one beat up covered with fish scales.
DR

sonarbp
08-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Re Saltwater; In a boat it is Ca state law that you carry a net. I believe the min size opening can not be smaller than 18" I believe. You can get a ticket for fishing without a net.

Question Greg.

What about a Yak or Tube. I would think a Yak would be the same rules as a boat ?

I use a big black aluminum Promar net on my boat.

Your nets are too nice to use. I prefer one beat up covered with fish scales.
DR

Here is the DFG reg on landing nets:

28.55 or 28.27, respectively.
(d) No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in landing any finfish shorter than the minimum size limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is any hook with or without a handle used to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth. No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.

This means if you fish from a boat, yak, surfboard, tube.....basically anything floating on the water you better have a net!

sonarbp

Nessie Hunter
08-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I have been checked a couple of times at NPH by the C/G..
Only had Lip Gripper - No Net!! (hard to carry net on a Tube)...
They never said anything about it?? But they are not DFG either!!!!

I figured it was equal to a net or even better.
No Tail splitting ergo no tail rot on the Halibut...

Compact and fits in side pouch.

Also, any GAFF is Illegal in *freshwater* FYI.....

sonarbp
08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I also have a lip gripper I use in the bays and harbors....alot easier to use than a net while fishing from the tube. The reg I quoted was from the saltwater regs......I will look up the freshwater regs and post it also.

sonarbp
08-10-2010, 08:13 AM
I just read throught the freshwater regs for 2010-2011 and I could not find anywhere stating you need to have a landing net. It does state the following:

2.06. Use of Gaffs.

No person shall possess or use a gaff in
inland waters, except that a gaff three feet or
less in length may be used to land legal-sized

fish only by anglers fishing from a boat in the

Sacramento River main stem below Deschutes
Road Bridge.

2.09. Possession of Illegal Gear.

Except as otherwise provided, no person shall
use or possess, except in his or her home,
any landing gear, any nets, except standard
landing-type dip nets not exceeding 36 inches
in greatest dimension, excluding handle,
gaffs or spears within 100 yards of any canal,
river, stream, lake or reservoir. Non-electronic
underwater viewing devices may not be used

for taking fish except under the provisions of

Section 2.30.

Maybe I missed something but from what I read you don't need a net while fishing freshwater!

DockRat
08-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Here is the DFG reg on landing nets:

]28.55 or 28.27, respectively. (d) No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in landing any finfish shorter than the minimum size limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is any hook with or without a handle used to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth. No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.

This means if you fish from a boat, yak, surfboard, tube.....basically anything floating on the water you better have a net!

sonarbp

Thanks for the info. Now all these guys just found out they are in violation :Embarrassed:

DR

sonarbp
08-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the info. Now all these guys just found out they are in violation :Embarrassed:

DR

Yeah DR I have seen alot of tubers out in NPH without the required net + I have also noticed that they don't even carry the required whistle!! It is not that hard to carry both....better safe than sorry!! If you get popped without it the tickets can be expensive!!!!

BassEngineer
08-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Real men don't use nets, or toilet paper!
:Confused:

sonarbp
08-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Real men don't use nets, or toilet paper!
:Confused:

Just cause I have a net with me don't mean I use it!! Most of the time the net is more trouble than it is worth....that is why I also have the lip grippers.

I rather carry the net than risk the ticket!!!

MAN VS WILD
08-12-2010, 08:58 PM
My net has an elastic or strecth string attached to handle. this way I just hook it to my tube and never have to worry about it falling in the water.

LBSea
08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
As far as float tubes go I have confirmed with a friend who is with California DFG that the lap apron that is on ODC420s and Caddis Navigators to name a few would qualify as your landing net. Again, that is why I mentioned earlier that most small fish should just be pulled up on your lap, unhooked and released with no need to ever touch the fish. That is EXCEPT Sculpin!!! I even know a few kayakers that carry a rolled up dip net, less the frame, in case they are ever asked about a landing net.

All this tube talk makes me want to go fishing.