PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Haiwee Lake

Trout Kahuna
07-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Someone mentioned to me that they know someone who fished Haiwee Lake. I hear the lake has some lunker trout and bass. However, it's my understanding that the DWP has closed this lake under the Homeland Security Act years ago. :Rolls Eyes: Has anybody fished this lake?

xjdesertfox
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
good luck to you if you do ninja it.

i know i wouldnt be ninja'ing something closed to the "homeland security act"

STEVE IN SOCAL
07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Years ago they were sued to make it open to the public. Something in the original deed required that it be open to public fishing. This was reported in the LA Times, and the date it was officially opened, we were there...fishing poles in hand. We were dogged the whole day by DWP workers. They hated us being given access to their private fishing hole I suppose. They followed us around, gave us the stink eye. Not a pleasant experience. Never went back after that. BTW, we caught 2 smallmouth bass for the effort.

BishopTrouter
07-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Years ago they were sued to make it open to the public. Something in the original deed required that it be open to public fishing. This was reported in the LA Times, and the date it was officially opened, we were there...fishing poles in hand. We were dogged the whole day by DWP workers. They hated us being given access to their private fishing hole I suppose. They followed us around, gave us the stink eye. Not a pleasant experience. Never went back after that. BTW, we caught 2 smallmouth bass for the effort.
So your saying that its technically still open?

Big Country
07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
No it's not...was closed forever, briefly opened after the lawsuit back in the late 1990's and then was closed within a year after 9/11 due to the Homeland Security issue and the lake being a major water supply for City of LA. Their argument was great for the closure...as it was something along the line of the water in the lake could be poisoned or tampered with. How that lake is any different from the other 250 miles of opened aqueduct that feeds to and from there is beyond any normal rational, but the it was the perfect opportunity for the LADWP to get it closed again with little opposition or backlash.

With that being said, I did personally fish it a couple of times with not much success. Got a couple of decent stockers on floatbait and a bass one time on a rapala. Never spent a lot of time fishing it as I always told myself once people fish it more and get it dialed in, then I try some quality time. but little did I know the sydicate thief ring known as the LADWP would close it back down.

It is closed and will remain that way

Sierra_Smitty
07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Haiwee is closed and probably will be forever. There are some niiiiiice smallies - seen pictures. DWP can suck it for restricting access to that lake - such total BS. Anyone who wanted to could poison LA's water supply, in many cases from freeway overpasses.....their reasoning was a joke.

smokehound
07-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Lol terrorist warning my ***.. they did this to steal land. Ten bucks says it becomes an airforce base within the next 20 years >=\

Thats funny how they pump fluoride in our water and close it "due to terrorist activity".. They're the ones poisoning us.. >=(

Sh1mano
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
A friend of mine fished it when it was still open and told me it was eerie. The reservoir houses a few freestanding nuclear missile silos. He was fishing and couldn't get his eyes off of them.