PDA

View Full Version : Does it seem like the stripers have taken over the southland?

Rabbito
07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Are they way more plentiful than 20 years ago??

Thisfool
07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
thats what an invasice species dose they take over and grow out of controll

a321eric
07-14-2010, 12:51 AM
im worried about the snakeheads after watching an episode of river monsters lol

Thisfool
07-14-2010, 12:53 AM

lol. yup me to those things is crazy

Flying
07-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Remember when you had to buy a striper stamp and places like Skinner had a 2 fish limit at 18" min.

Buford
07-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Heck, I remember going to Skinner to do some excellent trout and crappie fishing. We made several vacations as a family and many day trips too. That is one lake that the stripers ruined.

fishinone
07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I like catching striper but in places where the population is running away like Pyramid Lake there should be no limit.

It's not like they're going to run out of them.

EL_CHIDO
07-15-2010, 10:21 AM
thats what an invasice species dose they take over and grow out of controll

Ding-Ding-Ding

lol
Damn Koreans.

Rabbito
07-15-2010, 08:22 PM
So what the heck is going on? Stripers have been around for over 20 years around our lakes yet there have never been so many. What could be the cause? I thought stripers could only reproduce in running water, so how could there be so many

fishinone
07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
So what the heck is going on? Stripers have been around for over 20 years around our lakes yet there have never been so many. What could be the cause? I thought stripers could only reproduce in running water, so how could there be so many

Striper spawn in flowing freshwater streams naturally. The eggs roll on bottom for a couple days before they hatch. The aquaduct should be a great replacement for that system.

Lots of SoCal fishermen believe they spawn in the lakes. They probably do. It's evident that the populations increase once they're in a lake. The eggs might roll down the steep banks, get caught in eddies or suspend at some depth until they hatch.

The smallest striper I've caught have been in Pyramid lake. I caught some 1 1/2" ones on a little kastmaster. I've caught 3 1/2" striper in Castaic the same way.

It's legal to take the little ones in the Southern District. Where can I buy a tiny fillet knife?

worksucks
07-16-2010, 01:44 PM
sorry, I'm not doing my part in controlling the striper population... I try but I fail

smokehound
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Just be glad they arent able to go to the ocean. They would be ENORMOUS when they return!

Way bigger than the biggest stripers in castaic, thats for sure!

stressD
07-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Ding-Ding-Ding

lol
Damn Koreans.

don't blame Koreans it could of been a Latino from Asia, you guys are every where these days! j/k

i heard a rumor that involved some Korean dude releasing snakeheads somewhere, but its just a rumor. snakeheads are all over Eastern Asia, so take your pick.

TroutOnly
07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Kill the stripers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

a321eric
07-16-2010, 10:29 PM
don't blame Koreans it could of been a Latino from Asia, you guys are every where these days! j/k

i heard a rumor that involved some Korean dude releasing snakeheads somewhere, but its just a rumor. snakeheads are all over Eastern Asia, so take your pick.

i heard that the snakehead are very valuable fish and sell for good money. maybe they taste really good...they said that some country in asia brought them here becasue they are illegal to transport so what they did was plant them in lakes in the florida everglades so that they could breed and they could catch them and sell them here in America for big $$$$$$$$

SDDave
07-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Just be glad they arent able to go to the ocean. They would be ENORMOUS when they return!

Way bigger than the biggest stripers in castaic, thats for sure!
don't tell this to anybody in San Francisco, they do go in the salt..