PDA

View Full Version : Giant squid

reptile dude007
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Any body remember those giant squid that came up from baja early this year because of El nino? We went fishing for them in late February on the twilight trip from 22nd street and every body on the boat got skunked. Ever since then my dad and I have been waiting to catch one. Does any body know when these guys usually come up from the warmer waters?

DockRat
07-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I think Feb/March they came through. Thy the search option.
DR

TaperSteve
07-13-2010, 11:10 PM
it was at the beginning of this year (Jan/Feb). I caught 7 in an hour all 30-60lbs off the Dana Wharf in Dana Point. Hope they invade Cali waters again next year.

TS

Swank909
07-14-2010, 12:07 AM
it was at the beginning of this year (Jan/Feb). I caught 7 in an hour all 30-60lbs off the Dana Wharf in Dana Point. Hope they invade Cali waters again next year.

TS

Should actually be hoping they dont, they destroy the ecosystem and kelp beds around here....

"The squid are ‘new’ to the Gulf of California and are disrupting ecological systems. Many commercial species (fish caught for humans to eat) are in decline, and the diversity of species (number of different types) is rapidly going down."

source (http://zoology.suite101.com/article.cfm/humboldt-squid-invade-gulf-of-california)

Fish Dog
07-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Should actually be hoping they dont, they destroy the ecosystem and kelp beds around here....

"The squid are ‘new’ to the Gulf of California and are disrupting ecological systems. Many commercial species (fish caught for humans to eat) are in decline, and the diversity of species (number of different types) is rapidly going down."

source (http://zoology.suite101.com/article.cfm/humboldt-squid-invade-gulf-of-california)

Yeah, what he said...those things eat everything and ruin the local fisheries. If all you want to catch is squid then hope they come back up here. If you'd like to catch any sand bass or barracuda or calicos or any of the local inshore species then hope that they don't come back.

BTW - in my humble opinion they're not much of a fight. It's more like reeling in a big boot full of water with a couple of short 5 yard runs near the end when they see the boat.