PDA

View Full Version : Sand Bass - Question

jseale
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello All,

I'm brand new to this site and deep sea fishing. I've heard that the sand bass are biting and I'd like to take my sons out on a 3/4 day trip. I don't know anything about moon phases, water temp, best landings/boats, etc...

Can anyone get me started in the right direction? Maybe offer a quick lesson?

I'd like to go tomorrow if

Thanks a bunch,

Jeff

TFC_arvilJDM
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Hello All,

I'm brand new to this site and deep sea fishing. I've heard that the sand bass are biting and I'd like to take my sons out on a 3/4 day trip. I don't know anything about moon phases, water temp, best landings/boats, etc...

Can anyone get me started in the right direction? Maybe offer a quick lesson?

I'd like to go tomorrow if

Thanks a bunch,

Jeff

Where are you located at? Give Pierpoint Landing a try out in Long Beach. Their reports on bass lately has been really good on both 3/4 & 1/2 day trips. Here the number you can reach them at: (562)983-9300.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!

jseale
07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Does the moon being just a sliver have a big impact on the sand bass fishing?

IslandBoi
07-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I 2nd the motion for Pierpoint landing .... 1/2 boat "So Cal" has always been good to me. Great Capt'n, hands and cook.. Double cheeseburger is the bomb!!!!!

Sand Bass rig is easy setup
Ugly stick w/Penn 500 baitcaster w/14#
1/0 circle hook
lead heads (3/8-2 oz) possible strong current
egg sinkers (1/2-2oz) possible strong current

Most likely you'll be using dines or chovies.....

http://www.pierpoint.net

Tip I got from a deck hand awhile back:
When you get a bite, just reel, as fast and hard as you can, no need to whip back like your setting a hook for a largemouth, just reel,reel & reel some more.

DockRat
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
The Horse Shoe kelp outside Long Beach was loaded with boats today.
DR

Ricky-Ray
07-14-2010, 02:02 AM
The boat's outta Davey's Locker and Newport Landing have been hammering the sand bass. The last few count's have been showing limit's or near limit's of sand bass. They spawn during the summer months so basically right now is the prime time to catch them as they will literally eat just about anything.

I'd say medium rod with 15# mono on there will do, size 1 to 2/0 hooks, throw in the leadheads from 1/4 to 3/4oz, sliding egg sinkers in the same size and some torpedo sinkers from 1oz to 4oz and you should be good.

Basic setup would be a dropper loop or reverse dropper loop rig.