PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Stealer

elevated
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
So fished MDR last night and promised my girl that I'd get her her first halibut. We fished all the usual spots and I was even holding back big time letting her fish the juicy looking holes. The night started off slow with a bunch of really small bass and a few nicer models mixed in.

So we get to a spot that looks like it has some good structure, I tell my girl to cast out and work the bait along the structure. I literally cast right in front of myself, not 2 feet away from my girlfriend and BAM, instant hookup as my bait hits the bottom. The fish is fighting a little and I thought it was a larger bass. All of a sudden this halibut realizes he's hooked and takes off running under the docks. I yank him out and into open water where he takes another 5 yards off with head shakes galore. Anyway we land him, measure, photo and release. He went 22 inches exactly, truthfully we were holding the tape a little off so I think he was just shy of being legal. Anyway even though Jen is super cool and stoked for me I kind felt bad because if I just let her cast in the other direction she would have got her first hali, a decent size one too!

Equipment used: Abu garcia 6'6 baitcaster combo, ugly stick 6' MH with Daiwa reel, both with 10lb p-line. We fished Berkley jerk shads with torpedo lead straight to the hook.

Also I've been trying to figure this harbor out for a while, I been out once when it was wide open but I don't remember the tide. Last night we fished it at the peak high tide, a pretty big swing too. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Any suggestions on the best tide for this place? I'm thinking a medium incoming tide might be the ticket

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx106/elevated_lc/mdrhali.jpg

Cheers

Swank909
07-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Grats on the psuedo legal butt! lol

elevated
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Grats on the psuedo legal butt! lol

yea I know, I should have just said he was 20-21 inches. If it's not sand I don't like lying fish down to measure haha.

DockRat
07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Pull http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/michalicesmileys/stretcher.gif Pull

WTG, Halibut usually sleep at night.
DR

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
You'll find your best action 2 hours before and 2 hours after the higher tide in the 2 high tide cycles in a day, the higher the tide the better..

Try the 4" gulp alive minnow instead of the plastics your using on a 1/4 oz gamakatsu oversize hook jighead....

Definately anytime during incomming tide will be better than outgoing there....your not far off regarding mid tide, if you fish mid tide just past slack tide you should be in business....not that you cant catch fish at any tide there but the action will peak during the times I note....

Light line with those jigs 8-10 lb

good luck and nice job on the feesh !

Gary