PDA

View Full Version : Learned good boating lesson

Keith R
07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Here is the Report on our trip to Catalina for our planned 3 days of fishing and my first WSB.
I picked up my buddies boat (1977 28’ Bayliner) on Saturday from at his mechanic’s shop, where he had just installed a new water intake pump.
Sunday morning my fishing partners showed up at 6:15. We’re at Huntington Harbor at 7:15
Hit the water at 7:45. Catalina here we come. We got about a 1/4 mile past the break water and blew a seal on the intake pump. Over heated big time. We radioed Vessel Assist to tow us back to dock (Thanks Guys you are worth your weight in Gold). We went to get new gasket and got luckily we found one. Installed gasket and back out on our way at about 1:00. Decide were going to test it UFT a little outside the break water. Get out about a 1/2 mile and we hear a high pitched wine. Pull the cover only to hear the water pump making all kinds of noise like a bearing going out. We then decide to take it back in after engine cools down. Engine cools down and we nurse it back to dock at about 2 miles per hour. Turns out the bilge exhaust pumps are not working or hooked up. The cabin filled up with the exhaust so bad we had to shut it down and open the windows to vent the fumes out the windows. About 4:00 we finally get back to dock. Now at the dock I go below deck into the cabin to find 3" of standing water. Turns out the lower bilge pump is not working. We pull the boat out of the water and pull the plug. Not much more than 2 gallons of water drain out. Run a hanger up the drain hole and get full flow for about 15 minutes. We were back at home about 6:30. Well so much for our 3 days of fishing and my first WSB.

Lesson learned: Always inspect a boat you are borrowing to make sure everything is working safely.

DockRat
07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Total Bummer Dude.
DR

skunkmaster
07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
That's sketchy...on a lake it's one thing, but on the ocean it's scary.

dixoncider
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
No the lesson learned is that a boat is something you don't borrow..

Lunker1979
07-14-2010, 02:55 PM
No the lesson learned is that a boat is something you don't borrow..

Old boats always have lots of probles with them. B(Bust) O(out) A(another) T(Thousand)

jerryG
07-15-2010, 01:52 AM
It could be worse at least it's just a loaner. You get to give it back at the end of the trip. It sounds like the boat needs some work. I've been around boats most of my life and that is exactly why I don't own one. A few things I have learned from being around boats. Bigger boat BIGGER problems. Keeping up with the maintenance on a boat is critical because every time you leave the dock your life might just depend on it. The best way to keep a boat and everything on it running well is to use it.

JerryG

EL_CHIDO
07-15-2010, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Keith R;473268]We got about a 1/4 mile past the break water and blew a seal on the intake pump. QUOTE]

LOL. Sorry that reminded me of a joke:

A vacationing penguin is driving through Arizona when he notices that the oil-pressure light is on.
He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor.
He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.
After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town.
He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot.
He gets a big bowl of vanilla ice cream and sits down to eat.
Having no hands, he makes a real mess trying to eat with his little flippers.
After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he’s found the problem.
The mechanic looks up and says, “It looks like you blew a seal.”
“No, no,” the penguin replies, “it’s just ice cream.“

Swank909
07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
LOL. Sorry that reminded me of a joke:

A vacationing penguin is driving through Arizona when he notices that the oil-pressure light is on.
He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor.
He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.
After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town.
He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot.
He gets a big bowl of vanilla ice cream and sits down to eat.
Having no hands, he makes a real mess trying to eat with his little flippers.
After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he’s found the problem.
The mechanic looks up and says, “It looks like you blew a seal.”
“No, no,” the penguin replies, “it’s just ice cream.“

Hahaha rofl:ROFL:

Granny Fish
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Your lucky you weren't half way to Catalina when it happened. Glad you got home safe.

Fishbones
07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Old boats always have lots of probles with them. B(Bust) O(out) A(another) T(Thousand)

X2....lol.......