PDA

View Full Version : Wide open Bites for the Calico's, Sandie's, and Cudas!!!!!

Phanatic
07-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Sorry for the semi-late report. Where to begin. Been hearing so much hype about the bass bites recently at the Huntington Flats so I decided to give it a shot. Guess what? It was way worth the trip.

I went on both Saturday night and Sunday night with my friend. I made sure I went during the greatest high tide current from the evening until morning to make sure I got the best action. Boy were they blowing off. I'll tell you, the bite was WFO. Not everywhere of course, but for me, it was only one particular honey hole spot where I accidentally stumbled across. Depth was from 50-70 ft. Water temp for both nights were around 64-65 degrees. I must have caught myself a good 45-60 count mix of calico's, sandie's, and cudas each night. It was crazy. Anything you throw in the water they will attack it stupid like mackies from left to right. No joke. I was literally running out of bait the first night because of such exploding action.

Most swimbaits like the Zoom Super Flukes and Big Hammers worked good without scent but the key for me here was really applying a scent onto the swimbait like Pro-Cure. It was a difference between a fish hitting my bait vs not hitting my bait by just letting the swimbait sit there after the sink. Bass down from 8-12" were literally biting on my 6 1/2" big hammers like nothing.

So after some short time, I was running out of lures like nothing. Literally every 2 fish I would have to replace the swimbait. So I looked around and found a big bucket of my gulp products that I purchased but never used. I've never been any happier than that night having purchased it. I've never been a real fan of these products primarily because of the cost, and that I've never had real luck with them until now. It was the ticket for these babies both nights.

I threw a 5" jerk shad on 3/8 oz sled head, let it sink, soak its surroundings with the scent and instant bite. 9/10 casts got me a bite with this product vs I would say a little bit less with the other lures with my pro-cure topped off and a little less than that without any scent. Now i don't know if it was the pro-cure scent that might have semi-unattract them but I do know the gulp was everything both nights. It didn't matter if it was a jerk shad, squid, shrimp, gobys,(I used all of them that night) all you had to do was throw in ANY gulp formulated material and you would get instant bendo!

The best part about the gulp products was that although quite expensive, the material on it was so tough that I was able to catch at least 15-20 bass on it before I had to replace it with a new one. So technically in this case it was cheaper for the longer term. Top it off with the pre-absorbed scent and you got yourself a winner.

Sorry I don't have any worthy pictures to show because it was dark but you get the idea of what it was like of both these insane nights. Anyways, I hope you guys catch a lot of fish this summer see you guys out there. Tight lines!

Brian_GSC
07-13-2010, 08:19 AM
prolly a good idea going there at night = fewer boats.

murrieta angler
07-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Night fishing!?'
Just might have to give that a try.
Thanks for the report,
Robert

Fishbones
07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
thanks for sharing your trip,

JapanRon
07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi Phanatic,

Very nice report. Glad you had all that action and .......... fished plastics ....... well ......... w/whatever on or infused in them. Don't guess color mattered much with all the attractant. Great detail on fishing the rubber .... folks yet to fish plastics should take note of the writeup !

thanks,

JapanRon

ezcompany
07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
i can relate EXACTLY to the Gulp.
I started out with plastics but it got torn to bits. the gulp jerk shads, even though they were old worked like a CHARM!!!
landed my biggest sandy on it 3lbs +++ for the night. a line peeler for sure. good times good times. glad Gulp did its magic lol