PDA

View Full Version : The one that got away 7-10

tizzfishin
07-12-2010, 11:16 AM
My girl and I fished just outside newpot harbor on Saturday. We fished near the kelp in front of CDM. We used frozen squid hoping for some halibut. At about 1030am we finally had a hook up. I had a heck of a fight going on my ugly stick and 15lb test until it wrapped around the anchor and snapped off. A few minutes later my girls pole slams into the water. First it ran towards shore and then back out. She fought it for a 1.5 hours and was still at a stand still. I took over for another 20 min and was not getting anywhere with her spinning setup with 20lb test. I decided to pull the anchor and use the trolling motor to get closer to it. Then it finally snapped off. We are not sure what we had but we did see a something brown with spots about 3 feet deep when it broke off. Either a ray or a giant butt. We had a few more bites but couldn't get any takers. Overall a great day on the water with my girl.

mybada
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Batray. Butts usually don't fight like that.

murrieta angler
07-12-2010, 01:16 PM
At least you had a good time with your GF.
That's what really counts.
You'll get it next time though!
Thanks for the report,
Robert

sierratroutslaya
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a possible black seabass. I've seen them still have very pronounced spots up to about 90 pounds.

JapanRon
07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi tizzfishin,

Give it a shot there again sometime ...... same bait ..... pretty much same time day, moon, and tide-wise. That may tell the tail !!

JapanRon

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all....

doesn't matter what it was, speculations can go in so many directions so I won't add any theories I'll just note that an epic battle like that will never be forgotton so It looks like a good day and a good time...

Sorry that the fish was lost but I agree as noted above....go back and try to duplicate the scenario...maybe some heavier tackle...

Great that you can get out with your lady.....slay those sucka's next time and let us know what happens.

P.S.
Try a conventional rig...MUCH MORE POWER than a spinning rig !

Good luck !

tizzfishin
07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. We will definetly try that area again. Our boat is more of a freshwater design so I don't like to go very far out if the harbor.

Fishbones
07-13-2010, 10:19 AM
thanks for the report, sucks bout the big fish, sounds like a black sea bass to me..