PDA

View Full Version : Huge Carp landed at the Goon

bassinnut
07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
First of all many thanks to STG68 for giving a big thrill to my nephews first trip to the goon. We fished the
Goon in the morning and landed his first bass and had great time seeing all the cruisers. He had so much fun
that he wanted come back in the evening to fish again. We got back to the goon around 5 an started fishing.

A little later STG68 shows up and begins fishing. All of sudden his carrot stik goes bendo and this thing is pulling
drag. At first we thought may a big bass and then everyone realized it was a huge carp. STG68 was nice enough to
to let my nephew reel the carp in while he supported the rod. The little guy was very excited and now just loves the
Goon

Thanks so much STG 68. Enjoy the pics

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Deanf2009/nicholas/P7090575.jpg

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Deanf2009/nicholas/P7090578.jpg

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Deanf2009/nicholas/P7090580.jpg

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Deanf2009/nicholas/P7090581.jpg

BIGBASS MB
07-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Thats the way to get the young ones into fishing, this guy will a good fisherman for sure...
Gongrats ao the monster carp stg68,
looks like the all spicies wanted to play.
Mb

Ffejrobins30
07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
What's you guys catch that carp on? I didn't even know they were in the lake...

That thing's a monster, congrats!

stg68
07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
What's you guys catch that carp on? I didn't even know they were in the lake...

That thing's a monster, congrats!

That thing eat my 7" SINKOS

BIGBASS MB
07-12-2010, 09:16 AM
'WOW" it must have been very hungry to eat plastic bait
MB

Trout-Slayer77
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
wow thats a pig of a carp, any idea how much it weighed ?? looks like 30lb ?

bassinnut
07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
wow thats a pig of a carp, any idea how much it weighed ?? looks like 30lb ?

I caught one at Casitas that weighed 17lb and this one was alot bigger. I would think around 25. It was so big that i was afraid of breaking the hook on my scale.

Hitts0n
07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I love the look of that fish! Congrats on that monster! I bet all the fish in that lake on are diets and pretty much are hungry!

TroutOnly
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
DONT LET CARPBAIT SEE THAT HE WILL GO TO THE GOON AND NEVER LEAVE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LuvThymetal
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I wish i would of made it a little earlier to see how big that carp was. I remember seeing you 2 at the goon. It was nice fishing with you sgt68, thanks for the tips.

SDDave
07-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Hope you took it straight to a dumpter.... there's thousands just like him in the lower lake, uppers got even more, there menace to bass, I've been trying to talk Lori, the asst Park Super, to let us bow hunt those things during there spawn to help clear them out.... best way to go after them is to use a weighted treblehook and snag em and hold on cuase they will kick your but...

CL SmooV
07-12-2010, 04:03 PM
...great day! great pics! I'm headed up there tonight. the wife is out of town for work.

cutbait
07-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Nice report. I was there last Friday, but all I can cought was stinking largemouth.. Would love to get into that sick carp action

trail blazer
07-12-2010, 04:41 PM
WTG on getting the boy on feesh,,,,,,GREAT JOB!!!!

Like T,O says,,,,,,,,,,,PLEASE keep this thread a secret from DOUGHB,,,,Cut BAIT.

TRAIL BLAZER

trail blazer
07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Dangit,,,,,,,,Too late!!

Fishbones
07-13-2010, 10:21 AM
sweet golden bass, that things a pig. congrats

smokehound
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Perhaps a more efficient method of carp control would be releasing large sterilized male carp.

this has proven to be an effective method of reducing problem species.

Sounds crazy, huh? here's how it works: You cull the carp the best you can, and release a few large sterile fish into the lake.

The sterilized carp are direct competitors, and hog all the food, keeping the other carp small. With the carp stunted, they are small, and vulnerable to predation.

Since you cant keep a lake carp-free, this may be the best option. It has proven effective in other species.

That was a monster, man. I can just hear the drag scream by looking at it. Wtg!

fishinone
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I like the bow fishing idea better.

Cangler
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Nice catch , looks like Gary missed out on that one ..

smokehound
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I like the bow fishing idea better.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterile_insect_technique

a major benefit to this, is the sterile male's milt will prevent the fertile males from effectively fertilizing the eggs. Unfertilized eggs will spoil rapidly. Imagine releasing a bunch of huge sterile males into a smaller lake. Killing the adults with a bow will be ignoring all the babies they made.

cutbait
07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterile_insect_technique

a major benefit to this, is the sterile male's milt will prevent the fertile males from effectively fertilizing the eggs. .

Sounds like one of Gary's date stories

Ray Lopez
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Hope you took it straight to a dumpter.... there's thousands just like him in the lower lake, uppers got even more, there menace to bass, I've been trying to talk Lori, the asst Park Super, to let us bow hunt those things during there spawn to help clear them out.... best way to go after them is to use a weighted treblehook and snag em and hold on cuase they will kick your but...

I don't get the point of killing a fish just because you think they are a nuisance. The bass population is doing just fine even with the carp in that lake for many many years. Personally i would love to start targeting these monster carp and Koi that are in the lagoon. My buddy Warren was the guy who holds the lake record at 31 pounds. Said it was one of the best fights of his life. Also overall in the world the common carp is the #1 game fish. There has to be a good reason for that. I never will understand the point of all the bass fisherman who C&R all the LMB but then talk about how the carp is trash and they toss um to the bank. Why not try to target the bigger fish in the lake aka the carp since you toss everything back anyway. Why waste the life of a fish you don't plan on eating just because in your opinion they are trash.

How would you feel if someone thought that the LMB were trash and they tossed every bass they caught in the trash? Or made LMB x-mas trees and all the other stuff I've seen being done to the Carp. It's not like the carp have taken over the lake in any means what so ever. Plus who doesn't like the option of switching up the game plan and getting to target different species.

The thinking of killing every carp you catch is the same thinking that has cased the extinction of many other fish and game over the course of our existence.

SDDave
07-14-2010, 04:10 PM
ok, good point, we all have our own opinions, thanks for sharing,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFombWWg98

stg68
07-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't get the point of killing a fish just because you think they are a nuisance. The bass population is doing just fine even with the carp in that lake for many many years. Personally i would love to start targeting these monster carp and Koi that are in the lagoon. My buddy Warren was the guy who holds the lake record at 31 pounds. Said it was one of the best fights of his life. Also overall in the world the common carp is the #1 game fish. There has to be a good reason for that. I never will understand the point of all the bass fisherman who C&R all the LMB but then talk about how the carp is trash and they toss um to the bank. Why not try to target the bigger fish in the lake aka the carp since you toss everything back anyway. Why waste the life of a fish you don't plan on eating just because in your opinion they are trash.

How would you feel if someone thought that the LMB were trash and they tossed every bass they caught in the trash? Or made LMB x-mas trees and all the other stuff I've seen being done to the Carp. It's not like the carp have taken over the lake in any means what so ever. Plus who doesn't like the option of switching up the game plan and getting to target different species.

The thinking of killing every carp you catch is the same thinking that has cased the extinction of many other fish and game over the course of our existence.

I am agree with Ray,
I believe all the spices there for reason.
And by the way, Ray 100% right, all other country happy to have carp as a game fish, especially when people hungry.

Believe me, I know........ I was there.

TroutOnly
07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Kill all those crapfish ,i mean carpfish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then we can watch carpbait cry his self to death,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,why is big bear on an all out carp kill ,they get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,k/o,,,,,,,,,,,

smokehound
07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
My major beef with carp, is the fact that they have a very short digestive tract. In smaller ponds, they can be responsible for terrible fish kills. They can survive low oxygen, due to their ability to breathe air..

They transform healthy lakes into eutrophic ponds. For big bear, this is a major problem, since trout, smallmouthes, and other species cannot tolerate this.

I would love them if it werent for the sheer amount of waste they produce..

One could argue that ducks and other waterbirds produce far more waste, however, birds always poop on land...

madwire3
07-14-2010, 09:36 PM
birds always poop on land? lol what? damn near got hit by a shower of bird poo last night from a bird sitting in the tree above the water missed me by 2 feet, thats not aimed into the water but one example.. second i raised ducks and geese back in highschool and trust me they poo in the water plenty had to change their pools 3-4 times a day and watch when the kids are feeding the ducks in the water nasty little clouds in the water here and there... definately poo in the drink... as for kill all carp meh dont beleive in that, could u imagine if i started posting "i caught 3 damn bass today tossed em in the bushes, tired of their destructive behavior. eating up all the other fish" just ignorant, there are plenty of people out there who are totally neutral and eat any fish they get and size doesnt matter for many, just go to truxton lake or hart park in bakersfield.. few weeks ago seen a couple guys out there packing up as i was heading to the spot at truxton,, had 6 or so bluegill "smallllll ones", 2 lmb, a small carp and a small 6 inch catfish"carp was the biggest of any of them and im sure their family enjoyed it , even as meh as they taste, i like to catch fish and not so self involved to call myself a one species pro,, "not a pro at any" but i can catch fish "except stripers" and most fish i release so the difference between maybe pulling in a lil 3 lb bass or a 10lb plus carp, i choose carp hell even a 3 lb carp to a 3 lb bass, still carp, stripers another story right now i need any size carp to help the fever.. anyways ramble over... long live the carp all u haters