PDA

View Full Version : Albacore on the Relentless 1.5 day-Saturday

deanhall32
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Went on the Relentless on the annual family charter last weekend and boy was it scratch fishing. Jig strikes were at least 1 hour apart and only a few baitfish were caught. We ended up 133 miles west-southwest of Point Loma and the water temp was 57.9 so we headed back east to 95 miles out where the water warmed and a few puddles of albies showed. A very long day!

My count-

1 trolled albie
0 bait albies

Conditions were windy, cold, and choppy and I have never been so cold on a boat as I was Saturday-summer or winter!

JapanRon
07-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi deanhall32,

Sounds like a typical day albi hunting !! Spoiled on Tuna fishing ... er ... catching in Japan, Sagami-Bay and will do no more boat-rides for 'em here after a coupla nightmare-trips ! :)

Know you take the good and the not-so-good in stride whatever the quary !! You'll have a trip like you've reported before .... soon !!
Gotta tease ya a little !!

JapanRon

deanhall32
07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi deanhall32,

Sounds like a typical day albi hunting !! Spoiled on Tuna fishing ... er ... catching in Japan, Sagami-Bay and will do no more boat-rides for 'em here after a coupla nightmare-trips ! :)

Know you take the good and the not-so-good in stride whatever the quary !! You'll have a trip like you've reported before .... soon !!
Gotta tease ya a little !!

JapanRon

Knew I would hear from you JR! It was a miserable trip to say the least. I just went down to Squidco and bought a handful of plastics and some leadheads for the LJ and PL kelpbeds tomorrow!

murrieta angler
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey Dean,
One albie is better than no albie!?
With your proven track record, I'm sure you'll tear it up on your next venture.
Thanks for the short report,
Robert

p.s. I haven't forgoten about you and I getting out when the YFT come around.

Jackpot Jimmy
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the report Dean! I hope the albies make a return by the end of the month...I'm going on a 2 day trip on the Fury! I also talked to Bobby on the Angler, and he said the fish were moving out west pretty quick.

kgselect
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I was out on a 2-day on the Apollo from Fri/Sat and it was cold. Had a jacket on all the time. And, the fishing was scratchy. Posting a report shortly. Thanks.

pineapple express
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
WHAT....unheard of. Coach not getting a bait fish ??? I don't beleive it...
Did you atleast try a strip of FC ?

deanhall32
07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the report Dean! I hope the albies make a return by the end of the month...I'm going on a 2 day trip on the Fury! I also talked to Bobby on the Angler, and he said the fish were moving out west pretty quick.

Thanks Jimmy. Funny you should mention Bobby. I saw him this morning at Squidco buying a pair of deckboots as he was just getting off a 5 day. Things look good for that kid!

deanhall32
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
WHAT....unheard of. Coach not getting a bait fish ??? I don't beleive it...
Did you atleast try a strip of FC ?

All my rigs were set up with fluorocarbon if that's what you were talking about. I stuck with the 20# all day. Oh well. I did have one break off because my drag was set too tight but don't tell anyone.

NY4Reels!
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry to about the awefull bite. I think that we all had some pretty crappy trips with some bad weather. I also remember some of those cold and rainy days at sea when I was in the NAVY.

I fished the Relentless last season and found their bunks to be quite spacious, and the crew was awesome and attentive! What did you think of the boat overall?

4g63power
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
hey coach! confirm me on facebook! lol

troutdog
07-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Dean puttin in the work, well at least the skunk got the boot and you have a little fresh stuff for the bbq...I'm waiting for your "blood bath" report next time out!

Hope you are well Dean,

TD

deanhall32
07-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Sorry to about the awefull bite. I think that we all had some pretty crappy trips with some bad weather. I also remember some of those cold and rainy days at sea when I was in the NAVY.

I fished the Relentless last season and found their bunks to be quite spacious, and the crew was awesome and attentive! What did you think of the boat overall?

The bunks were the best part of the boat! Crew was cool especially Trevor ( formerly of the ElDorado ). Boat was pricey for a 1.5. It was a charter with 14 guys and the meals were not included. Ticket ended up being $410 per person, meals, $25 dollar fuel surcharge, fish cleaning and tip brought the total tab for a 1.5 to $510!! Expensive troll fish!

deanhall32
07-13-2010, 07:34 AM
hey coach! confirm me on facebook! lol

Confirmed!

deanhall32
07-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Dean puttin in the work, well at least the skunk got the boot and you have a little fresh stuff for the bbq...I'm waiting for your "blood bath" report next time out!

Hope you are well Dean,

TD
Thanks Aaron,

It was a good sized albie so there was plenty for the bbq!

DavidE
07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
The bunks were the best part of the boat! Crew was cool especially Trevor ( formerly of the ElDorado ). Boat was pricey for a 1.5. It was a charter with 14 guys and the meals were not included. Ticket ended up being $410 per person, meals, $25 dollar fuel surcharge, fish cleaning and tip brought the total tab for a 1.5 to $510!! Expensive troll fish!

thats about the price of the 2.5 day in August!! WTF!! By the way I have 5 spots still open. Help me fill them if u can.

Did u get any fishing in Hawaii??

Fishbones
07-13-2010, 10:07 AM
You beat the skunk bro, cant complain about that, things are still picky,.,,.damn those albies,,

ghetto dad
07-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Wow....they must no be around if the Coach didnt SLAY!! not that it helps, but at least you got a fish coach....lol

Ull DEF slay them next time brother

GD