PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for picky fish when in doubt

FISHINGBEE
07-11-2010, 11:03 PM
How many times have you went out fishing for Nada. You bait fished all day it just never seemed to come together. Boiling fish and your bait was not even touched. Maybe theres yellows around but the barracudas are so thick they get every bait. Maybe you spent all day bait fishing without even a nibble. The winds came up and bad boat position stops the bite. Maybe no current or the bait is half dead. Most people just pack it up call it a day go home. Trolling is easy and a great way to head for home and save some gas. I have found many schools of fish in this manner. The big problem is what should i troll. If your trying for yellows troll a cd rapala mackerel colors blue or green. This is a fail me not go to bait. I even found better luck with the old striper rebels repainted to look like a mackerel. Theres always jigs or feathers if your in a hurry. Even slow trolling a sardine or mackerel can be deadly. If your trolling for Bonitas or Cudas sure krocs work or chrome jigs but if you troll a jointed fast trac rebel in the blue or black top its deadly. There were lots of days trolling the edge of the kelp line this worked well esp on Calicos. It sure is better than a skunk. Plus you can spend more time on the water this way. You would be surprised what you my get. If it is trolling for Tuna offshore or simply dragging a bait at the kelp beds. Even trolling the bays with freshwater crank baits. Its a great way to catch some fish. Don't forget freshwater also. Fishing for trout or striper and even bass. Some lakes the bass chase the shad out in the middle of the lake. Trolling a shad rap far behind the boat has known to catch its share of bass. One time i even caught a 25 lb blue catfish trolling a shad rap. Crappie also hit the trolled jigs. El Cap and Henshaw Lake were known for trolling for crappie. Seriously if you have not tried trolling when the fish are picky your missing out.

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE

DockRat
07-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Good Tip. Not to mention a possible Thresher too.
Picked up some Deep Diver Rapalas with the steel plate blade and have been wanting to try them.
DR

FISHINGBEE
07-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey DOCKRAT i think the CD Rapala is the same as you had mentioned. The fail me not spot is to troll South Coronado Island. Three miles out off mission bay harbor. La Jolla is another especially the canyon for Mako Tresher yellowtail. Those Rapalas you have are deadly on the troll.

FISHINGBEE

TroutOnly
06-24-2011, 07:46 AM
trolling is more chances at more fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

tacklejunkie
06-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Wheew I got a fish on the hudd on the troll once and just recently some bruiser bluegill on crankbaits on the troll from the kayak!

...and yes, that is usually on the way back in from a long fishing day. I troll in and still catch fish!

I just learned some tips from Gregg Silks I want to try at DVL for trolling! I'm afraid I'll get pulled off the kayak though!

My buddies caught a nice five pound striper dragging crankbaits around Silverwood too one time.

Damn you guys make me want to go troll right now lol.

Vlkter
06-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Any tips for gear set up when trolling? Ive never trolled before and would love to start.