PDA

View Full Version : Irvine 7/10

gavin310
07-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Got out there around 3pm. I always forget to check the calendar and this day there was a rock concert going on in the area next to the tackle store. I was looking forward to a peaceful afternoon/evening/night of fishing, so I set up in the back of the flats to escape the noise. Unfortunately back there I was treated to the constant buzzing of the R/C airplanes. Forgot about those. Ahh well. Fished until 7:30pm for 1 bite, no hookups. There were some guys further back and I saw them land a silvery fish. They were far away and i figured it was a silver catfish. As they were walking back to their car (still from a distance) it looked like they were carrying a trout, but I knew in the flats in this water temp there's no way. Then it dawned on me it was a wiper. They were too far away to tell them they're catch and release only. Oh well. I kinda wish Irvine wouldn't stock catch and release fish anyway. I was pretty sure my spot in the flats would produce as the sun went down, but I had some doubts so I packed up. Went to the Trout Island/boat dock area to a spot where I had some luck last week and set up again. The music was so loud that I could hardly hear the bells on my poles. Gotta say though the classic rock cover bands sounded pretty good, I just don't like that much noise when I'm fishing. After only about 10 minutes I got a bite. Set it and fish on. Felt pretty nice. Got it in and it was about a 2.5 pound catfish. He was a feisty one who was going crazy on the stringer all night long. After that it was really slow. Wish I would've switched to this spot earlier since last time it was best right before sunset. When it got dark the birds started flying into my lines like crazy. They usually hit it every now and then, but this was like every 30 seconds. I think the loud music from the concert was screwing with their ability to navigate. With the birds and the loud music it was hard to tell when I had a bite. I think I got one or two more "real" bite the rest of the night. Definitely the opposite of this same spot last weekend. Just goes to show the fish move around and you can't rely on 1 spot. Oh at one point in the night a pontoon with a bunch of guys parked right in front of me. I had my lantern on so they knew I was there. It was a wide open shore, and they park close enough that i can hear everything they're saying (although it's in spanish so i can't understand it), then they cast towards me. I'm surprised and glad we didn't get snagged. I had to cast far to my left and right to avoid casting OVER their pontoon.

Seems like a lot of people on the shore got skunked last night, at least in the area I was fishing.

I was using small pieces of mackerel that were soaked in stink bait and big willies xxx blood. If you soak the mackerel for a day or two before the scent stays with the bait much longer.

bassassassin
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
they are bats that are hitting ur line

gavin310
07-12-2010, 12:18 PM
you sure? they weren't flying like bats... i've seen plenty of bats. they look like swallows or something.

BULLDOGBOOGERS
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
got some women that weekend lol. didnt even think about fishing lol.you da man Killer !

gavin310
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
those planes sank my ship too. i was there not too long ago. suffice to say. BLah. however, i owe irvine a big thank you for hosting the Lightning in a bottle festival. got some women that weekend lol. didnt even think about fishing lol.

lol ya know when i was looking at that concert i was thinking maybe i should pack up my rods and go hit on some girls out there. getting kinda late... ladies are all liquored up... easy pickins... ;)

Boater13
07-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I was in a boat next to the tree that same night, landed a few cats and the pontoon boat snagged our lines all night long. I really wanted to tell them to move, they were just being rediculous oarking so close and than casting 5 feet away from my boat. Those guys really need to learn

gavin310
07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
I was in a boat next to the tree that same night, landed a few cats and the pontoon boat snagged our lines all night long. I really wanted to tell them to move, they were just being rediculous oarking so close and than casting 5 feet away from my boat. Those guys really need to learn

Hey man I saw your boat out there. Good job getting a few cats. I was thinking of casting at their pontoon and seeing who I could hit, but figured it wasn't worth the lost setup. They didn't know what they were doing, so I figured if anything they'd chum up the area for me.