PDA

View Full Version : Need info on where to go in the E. Sierras

Big Bo
07-10-2010, 07:54 PM
In a week or two the son and I will be heading out from Bakersfield, Ca, towards Bishop, Ca. We have never been that way, and would like advice and or info on where to go, where to stay, and how is the float tube fishing? Crowley? Or is there another place to go and fish from tubes?

FadedOne
07-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I am not one to float tube, but personally I like camping at Convict lake. I use that as a base camp and from there I can easily drive to Mammoth Lakes, PVR, Intake 2, Sabrina, Crowley, Bridgeport, etc if I am not having luck at Convict. Mammoth Lakes area is a little cooler and more "forest like". If you head up to Parchers Resort you will be near Intake 2, South Lake, North Lake, and Sabrina not to mention some creeks. Lots of choices and not any bad ones. I haven't stayed at Crowley's campground, but from what I have seen it appeared to be a dirt lot. I am sure someone else can give more details to the campsites there. If you want to head further North, up near Bridgeport, I like the Robinson's Creek area. I have always liked Twin Lakes up there.

Good luck with your trip, I am sure you will have a blast no matter where you go.

SierraPeaks
07-11-2010, 09:45 AM
From Bishop:
Lake Sabrina 19 miles
South Lake 21 miles
Lake Crowley 30 miles
Convict Lake 37 miles
Mammoth Lakes 45 miles
June/Gull Lake 56 miles
Silver Lake 60 miles
Grant Lake 63 miles
Lundy Lake 74 miles
Bridgeport Reservoir 90 miles
Bridgeport Twin Lakes 103 miles

brn2fis
07-11-2010, 04:00 PM
What SierrePeaks said, all those lakes are great for float tubing. Fish in my picture was caught at Grant Lake went over six pounds.

Big Bo
07-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. We will be staying in a hotel, any favorites?

teejay
07-13-2010, 01:04 PM
I've stayed at the Vagabond and the El Rancho and can recomend both. The Vagabond is a larger two story motel, where as the El Rancho is much smaller, one story, complex. The Vagabond is more expensive than the El Rancho but has a pool,small barbeque area,
and a coin laundry. The Vagabond is also next door to the Denny's restaurant which makes it convenient if you want to grab a quick meal. Both motels have fish freezing facilities.
Hope you have a good trip.

troutdog
07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
The first time I took my daughter up the 395 we stayed in Bishop, having access to S.Lake, Sabrina, North Lake, Intake and Bishop Creek gives you lots of option. North Lake and Intake II seem to be the spots of choice for most tubers. Good luck and have fun!

PM sent!

TD

heydaad
07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Teejay has got you covered ... I've also used both motels and have been satisfied. Bishop is great if you are planning to move around a lot. For just nice scenery and camping we like Convict Lake best, fishing the creek and the lake is relaxing.

Big Bo
07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
What is the water temp? I was told that the water is very cold and we don`t have the neoprene waders.

Mike274
07-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Big Bo,

The water temps are hovering around 50 or so in most of the lakes with Crowley being the warmest right now. As far as Crowley goes I just came back from there and the fishing is as slow as I have seen it in years. They say this years strange weather patterns threw the cycles off. Hot snow Hot snow all through June. There is a good perch bite in Crooked Creek right now and the algae bloom is in full force. Don't forget that as of Aug 1st Crowley is artificial lures only with a limit of 2 trout over 18". This means the Berkley worms and mini jigs and any other scented artificials are out as well. The perch count is still 25.

Careful on the big lakes as the wind can pick up out of now where and when blowing in the wrong direction it's a haul back.
North Lake - Nice small quaint lake. Good fishing as well. This is float tubes or non motorized boats only.
Convict - A nice lake to kick around and catch fish on the dropoffs.
South lake and Sabrina are really just getting started.
Intake II is another nice smaller lake. Kick around the dam to half way across with flies and or mini jigs.

Mike