PDA

View Full Version : Perch Fooled by Fake Crab, Angler Stunned

City Dad
07-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Recipie for Comedy:

Take one almost fair fly caster, combine with a dainty 5wt trout rod, dip into salt water, prepar to laugh.

Took my first shot at fly swatting in the surf today. Also tried out my crab fly for the first time. Results were mixed.

This time around, I'd tied my flies with extra wraps of lead wire to keep them on the bottom. I soon found out that this made them way too heavy for my what, until today, I had assumed would be my surf fly rod. (Try tying a cinder block to a CB antenea and you'll have an idea of what I was working with) However, as heavy as that fly was, it took only the slightest bit of drag on the line to pop it to the surface like a cork.

I also opted not to take some kind of "stripping basket" to pile line in as it is stripped in. This was a mistake (althought I did managed to develop a few knots that might be of some interest to the Navy.)

It was well into the morning when I began hitting the water with casts. Boy, did I terrify those corbina! It must be startling to be cruising along, minding your own business, munching crabs when WHAM a big pile of line lands smack on your head.

Eventually, I developed what could almost have been considered a rythem and managed to fool a few ignorant little perch... TALLY HO! (All corbinas seemed to dissapear after that -roughly 8:00 am)

In all fairness, the crabs did look very real in the water - perhaps more weight and a stouter rod.

Also, the soft, silicone shell came off pretty easily after a few bites, so I'll have to find a better way of secruing them or find another material.

You guys that will be getting some of these might want to fish them Carolina style...

Saw only a few beds with pea-sized crabs in them.

Met jrodda and his dad. Nice guys. jrodda looke to be the only guy catching this morning.

jrodda
07-21-2007, 12:20 PM
It was nice meeting you, Tim. My dad was catching the fish behind our back when we were talking :lol:. I got 3 and my dad got 4. Hope to see you again soon.

Fins Rock!

Granny Fish
07-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Good job! I'm always intrigued by those with fly skills and those few creative anglers I meet.

sansou
07-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Good stuff!

You sound obsessed now! Ha ha!!

smokehound
07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Hahaha! Awesome dude!

Now youve got a good sandcrab fly for the perch!

Congrats! I hope mine will fare as well.

SanDimasLMB
07-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Nice perch CD. I would try Epoxy to keep the scilicone to the fly's body. Epoxy is proven to stand up against water. They use the stuff on fishing rods.

bsp
07-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Good Job CityDad! With that silicone fly in the pics I am sure you will get a corbina.

hbstriker
07-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Your flies rock, so stoked that you got on the water, felt bad about using your flies while you weren't able to.