PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Bait-n-Wait 7/6/2010. Didn't wait long.

fishinone
07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I got Tuesday off of work as part of the 4th of July weekend and planned to fish with FarmerJohn.

I "selflessly" took my family to Ventura for a late lunch on Monday and while I was there I picked up half a scoop of live dines and mixed them into the ice in my cooler.:Neutral:

FarmerJohn called me at 5:00 am and said he was too tired to drive so we made arrangements for me to go back to the dock and get him when he made down. I'm not sure what happened to him him after that, he never called and I haven't been able to get a hold of him. I hope he's OK.

I met my buddy Mike in line before the lake opened and he told me that Sharron's Rest had been producing and offered to show me the hot spot over there since I've rarely fished there. Sharron's Rest sounded good since I needed to stay in cell service and nearer to the ramp would be helpful. He said they were setting up in 150 ft.

I got to the Rest a little ahead of Mike and made a couple circles watching the fish finder. Mike came and set up in the deep water. I told him I had seen bait and fish up shallower and was going to give it try up there.

There was a great group of guys fishing the Rest. Mike had a neighbor kid and Tony with him. Tony's boat is in the shop. I met another guy named Mike. Bob with his wife were there, he wanted to go she wanted to stay. We thought that was great. There were a couple guys in a red Crestliner who were pretty quiet fishing near me. I think they might be FNNers, the boat looked familiar. They weren't close enough for me to see their faces.

I was very fortunate. I had great bait and I lucked out and found a spot. I started picking up schoolies right away and had a steady pick for 3/4 of the day.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%207-6-2010/IMG00024-20100706-0913.jpg
Here's a picture of my fish hold a little after 9 o'clock. I had seven in there and was sorting through the dinks I was catching, hoping to get some bigger ones.

They were biting light and most were picking up just lipping it. I swung and missed over and over but with the great bait they would pick it up again. I swung on one fish 4 times before getting it on the 5 swing. I guess it's lucky I wasn't playing baseball.:Smile: Swings are free.:LOL:

I planned to pull up stakes and go trolling when I got my 30th fish but just as I caught it at around 3:00 pm LoweBoat came along with his friend Andy. I waved to them and called them over. LoweBoat said he had heard from the guys in the red Crestliner that I was there putting on a slay They hadn't been catching too much and were going to set up near me. I told them that the spot wasn't that big and we tied them off right to my boat.

The bite had slowed down but they were still coming through every few minutes. We stuck it out and picked up 7 or 8 more fish. Dan caught a 3 lb bullhead and Andy caught a few striper. His big one got away.

I was pretty tired at the end of the day and forgot to get pics of Dan and Andy's fish.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%207-6-2010/IMG00025-20100706-1546.jpg
Andy took a picture of me with a couple of the larger fish.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%207-6-2010/IMG00028-20100707-1125.jpg
This is my thumb today.

I caught at least 34 fish, one close to 5 lb, two close to 4 lb and a whole load of schoolies.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-07-2010, 11:46 AM
congrats on a healthy days slay....saweet !

Taco's anyone ?

GotBass?
07-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Glad to see someones still slayin stripers up there

Fishbones
07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
congrats on the kill ron, that striper thumb looks nice...ouch!

marzocchi
07-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Nice meetig you too Ron! Since I know which truck is your now, I am going to head over for some bait if I see it in the parking lot...JK.

E.A.R.G.
07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
sweet report Ron!
whats with the hair? haha

Shock
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Good job on the Castaic slay Ron!!!

Keep it up...

Hopefully I will be able to go fishing soon...lol

fishinone
07-07-2010, 02:18 PM
congrats on a healthy days slay....saweet !

Taco's anyone ?

Thanks Gary, Sure I'd love some taco's, I'll be right over.

Glad to see someones still slayin stripers up there

I think they're moving, they'll probably be really picky but you can still get some.

congrats on the kill ron, that striper thumb looks nice...ouch!

Thanks Alex, The thumb wasn't bleeding untill I washed the fish slime off of it last night.

Nice meetig you too Ron! Since I know which truck is your now, I am going to head over for some bait if I see it in the parking lot...JK.

I gave the rest of the bait to LoweBoat. He'll hook you up, no problem.:Razz:

sweet report Ron!
whats with the hair? haha

Thanks Eric, I'd like to get you out there when it's like that. It's way too much fun.

The hair just grows there, I have it cut sometimes but lately I've been fishing instead.

koifish
07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Nice to hear some good reports lately.

fishinone
07-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Good job on the Castaic slay Ron!!!

Keep it up...

Hopefully I will be able to go fishing soon...lol

Hey Shock, why are you having trouble getting "Permission for Fishin"?

Nice to hear some good reports lately.

Castaic has been producing but a lot of the guys on the board have been fishing other spots.

TroutOnly
07-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Man i hate schoolies,i got to get more of those san ant fish before i have to come back to reality, ron i think going to ventura for lunch was an excuse to score fresh dines ,,,,,,,shame on you,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Man i hate schoolies,i got to get more of those san ant fish before i have to come back to reality, ron i think going to ventura for lunch was an excuse to score fresh dines ,,,,,,,shame on you,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think it worked out really well. Don't you?

Is there a bait bite at San Antonio?

kpn
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Great job out there Ron! I sured miss out on a good day fishing, had to go to SD to check out school for my son. I hope the bites will last. Thanks for the invite.

Khanh.

fishinone
07-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Great job out there Ron! I sured miss out on a good day fishing, had to go to SD to check out school for my son. I hope the bites will last. Thanks for the invite.

Khanh.

Hi Khanh,

I was wishing that I had a whole boat load of fishermen but most of the bites were really light. I watched a few fish on the finder, pick up the bait and drop it but the pole never moved.

You would have gotten plenty.

Ron

Fishthewhaler
07-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I was there in the red starcraft., left the whaler @ home. I couldn't bare too watch you keep slaying em, It was torture. classic tale of the fresh dines + great spot=mucho fish!! I didn't see any of the other dozen boats get any!?! I had to leave early for work and managed only 3 fish....GRRRRR!
I saw LoweboatDan out there, told him you were a one man show...Great going, next time I will swim over to your boat and catch a quick limit!!!
DAM0N aka FishtheWhaler

fishinone
07-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I was there in the red starcraft., left the whaler @ home. I couldn't bare too watch you keep slaying em, It was torture. classic tale of the fresh dines + great spot=mucho fish!! I didn't see any of the other dozen boats get any!?! I had to leave early for work and managed only 3 fish....GRRRRR!
I saw LoweboatDan out there, told him you were a one man show...Great going, next time I will swim over to your boat and catch a quick limit!!!
DAM0N aka FishtheWhaler

Hi Damon, You should have come over. I got kind of lonely out there after a while. Everybody else went looking for them too. Thanks for sending Dan. I was ready for some company.

It was an awesome spot. I missed so many fish. When I wasn't catching I was having my bait stolen. Somebody who could hook most of the fish would have had a limit really quick.