PDA

View Full Version : San "O" New Species 7/6

murrieta angler
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Hit up the beach at 2:30 this afternoon for the incoming high tide, which was 5.02 at 4:42.
Got there and the waves were back to normal size.
Throwing the usual, squid chunks on 1/0 hook. Took 2 hours before I hooked up with my 1st ever Sargo ,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0706001657.jpg

Thanks smokehound for the fish I.D.

It was my only fish for 4 hours of fishing. I don't mind though, it had been 2 1/2 weeks since I'd been fishing from the shore.
Good to hit the beach!
Robert

flyngby
07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Robert,

You beat the stinky and a new species! Those Sargo get bigger and will take you for a ride on the light line!

Steve

smokehound
07-06-2010, 11:41 PM
No problem, happy to help.

DockRat
07-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Those things like pier pilings too. I have never caught one.
Are those Humbolt squid chunks ?
No six pack abs ? Too cold ?

Nobody has submitted a Sargo for a Ca state record. Open catagory, must be 1 lb or bigger.
DR

DockRat
07-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Need Bigger Bait, Hook, Line. Get someone to paddle your bait outside :Envious:

San Onofre State Beach — On July 5, 2010 Ron Thompson was Stand Up Paddle surfing South of Dog Patch at San Onofre State Beach. It was 1:30 PM and he had been on the water 20 minutes. The sky was overcast and there was a slight bump to the sea surface with a large swell. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 68 and 66 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The water depth was about 10 feet with similar visibility. No marine mammals were observed in the area.

Thompson reported; “While Stand Up Paddle surfing South of Dog Patch, in front of the power plant. I witnessed a full body breach of a shark 6 – 8 feet in length and dark in color. As I was paddling back outside to catch another set wave the shark breeched up out of the water completely, at least 5 feet from the sea surface, did a horizontal twist and landed with a splash. This happened approximately 150 feet in front of me as I was looking outside and I was fortunate enough to witness the entire maneuver. It was unbelievable. I've heard and read about numerous shark encounters down in the San Onofre area and I can now say I'm a believer.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

fisherman from long beach
07-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Robert,

You beat the stinky and a new species! Those Sargo get bigger and will take you for a ride on the light line!

Steve

your right about that,ive caught fat sargo at the wall.and they dont give up easily

murrieta angler
07-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Robert,

Steve

Thanks Steve,
It did pull pretty hard for such a small fish. I'm gonna head out again this weekend and bring a lighter set up.
Take Care,
Robert

murrieta angler
07-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Those things like pier pilings too. I have never caught one.
Are those Humbolt squid chunks ?
No six pack abs ? Too cold ?

Nobody has submitted a Sargo for a Ca state record. Open catagory, must be 1 lb or bigger.
DR

Hey DR,
Yeah, I still have pleny of Humbolt steaks for bait.
An Asian gentleman pulled up next to me and started casting, using mussels, and he got skunked. In his, and my defense, the water had a ton of salad and would pull your lines hard till they were covered with it.
It was a little chilly, so I kept the sweatshirt on, but did kick it down with the shorts.
I'm pretty sure that the Sargo didn't weigh 1 pound, I will bring a scale with me from now on though!
Take It Easy,
Robert

p.s. Glad to read your daughters BF is doing well.

murrieta angler
07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Need Bigger Bait, Hook, Line. Get someone to paddle your bait outside :Envious:

San Onofre State Beach — On July 5, 2010 Ron Thompson was Stand Up Paddle surfing South of Dog Patch at San Onofre State Beach. It was 1:30 PM and he had been on the water 20 minutes. The sky was overcast and there was a slight bump to the sea surface with a large swell. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 68 and 66 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The water depth was about 10 feet with similar visibility. No marine mammals were observed in the area.

Thompson reported; “While Stand Up Paddle surfing South of Dog Patch, in front of the power plant. I witnessed a full body breach of a shark 6 – 8 feet in length and dark in color. As I was paddling back outside to catch another set wave the shark breeched up out of the water completely, at least 5 feet from the sea surface, did a horizontal twist and landed with a splash. This happened approximately 150 feet in front of me as I was looking outside and I was fortunate enough to witness the entire maneuver. It was unbelievable. I've heard and read about numerous shark encounters down in the San Onofre area and I can now say I'm a believer.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

I always keep an eye out on the horizon and am pretty sure I saw a dorsal fin skimming the water yesterday.
WHO KNOWS?!