PDA

View Full Version : Need help with albacore fishing tackle.

BassWhisperer
07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm planning to book a trip out of San Diego within the next couple weeks (1 1/2). This will be my first tuna trip. I've gone out on numerous overnight n 3/4 island trips fishing calicos to YT's (catalina, clemente & coronados). I own 3 salt water setups. All reels have spectra backing. I mainly just flyline live baits. I'm fine fishing these setups on 3/4 to overnight trips. Will these setups be ok to fish my first tuna trip? I've gone out on squid trips fishing 30 with the MXJ n Calstar ML combo. Funds are limited so i can't pick up another setup anytime soon. Either i pick up a 30 or 40lb setup now and not fish or just fish with what i have. Please advise.... Thanks in advance!!!

15lb 8' dobyns freshwater swimbait rod with curado 300.
20lb Avet SX with 8' calstar XL
25lb Avet MXJ with 8' Calstar ML

murrieta angler
07-06-2010, 08:54 PM
You will be just fine with what you have. I wouldn't even bring the 15 lb set up.
Just make sure to adjust your drag before you toss your line in the water.
Good Luck,
Robert

Ricky-Ray
07-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I would bring the 15# setup anyway. There's always the chance of fishing close inshore. The way I see it better to have it and not use it rather than "Damit... I knew I should have brought the..." you get the point.

I would bump the SX to 25# and the MXJ to 30# and you would be good to go. Don't forget flouro and bring some small hooks too.

flopps1
07-07-2010, 09:13 PM
I would bring the 15# setup anyway. There's always the chance of fishing close inshore. The way I see it better to have it and not use it rather than "Damit... I knew I should have brought the..." you get the point.

I would bump the SX to 25# and the MXJ to 30# and you would be good to go. Don't forget flouro and bring some small hooks too.

I agree with ricky. You never now if the fish get finicky and only will take light line.Sometimes chovies becomes the bait of choice. Your curado will have a huge advantage to cast the chovies over the other reels. You may have to finese it some on 15# but you'll be bit while others are trying to figure out how to get their bait out on a conventional reel. Bring the 15#.

As for the others rigs. I would go the 25 and 30. But if you can get your hands a 40# then keep it the way you have it. A 40# is always good to have in case it goes wide and the fish aren't line shy. Crank em'! Plus, there always that slight chance of some big fish hanging around. Capt will scream to grab a 40#. Good luck out there!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Bass,
What Ricky said sounds good to me, but I'd change the line size on your Avets both to 50# test Spectra or Power Pro and then tie on either 20, 25, or 30# fluorocarbon leaders. Those reels should easily hold 300 yds of 50# Power Pro, so if you hook into a big one you have the line capacity to handle them.
Also for hooks make sure you have all the sizes needed on a 1.5 day trip. Numbers 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 size hooks should be fine. The weights you'll also need are the slide sinkers in 3/8, 1/2, and a few 3/4 oz should be fine.
I'll be heading out on a 3 day trip this Saturday and I'll be fully armed with 5 rods/reels and all the tackle needed to bring home tuna. Everything from hooks to trolling lures, since most boats don't have the color lures I want to troll when going after certain kinds of tuna, I have my own rig (have been tuna fishing for many years).
Hope your trip is a success !
TTFM

Ricky-Ray
07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I'd bring a couple of heavy yo-yo jigs too. Sometimes the bigger albies or the bluefin will be hiding below the school that you are on.

Fishbones
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
tons of great advice,good job guys,,, good luck and take lots of pictures...

BassWhisperer
07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I appreciate all the great advice. I'll try to call the landing to see if they rent 40lb outfits. I heared most fish are coming off jig strikes and getting closer. Hope to kill my first albacore and have a great time pulling on fish. Thanks again everyone!

Ricky-Ray
07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Here would be a quick fix if you need a 40# setup. Use your MXJ with spectra backing and short flouro leaders say 3-6ft long. If you have 30# on there and need to go up to 40# then simply cut off the leader and tie on 40# and your good to go. In a pinch the MXJ could handle 40# but it would not be my go to reel for 40# all the time.

Most of my reels are loaded with spectra and I just put short flouro topshots on to adjust for the fishing conditions. There's only a few situations where I still fish with 100yds of mono.

BassWhisperer
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I tried flylinning with spectra n flouro b4 and wasnt too successful. I couldn't get the spectra tight enough when retrieving. Spectra would dig once in a great while. One is too many for me. Also ran into a situation where i had to retie a new leader during a hot bite. Took too long for me. I prefer the spectra to short topshot option. I tried to make that rigging option work for me b4 but i guess i'm still new to the spectra fishing. I'm aware that each rigging method has its pros n cons. I'll keep it simple since its my first tuna trip. For now the 15,20 and bumping the mxj to 30 is where i'm at. Maybe add a trout pole in the mix...lol Anyways, Thanks again everyone for giving such helpful tips. Can't wait to do the ARGHHH when i hook up... Gracias everyone!

murrieta angler
07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I tried flylinning with spectra n flouro b4 and wasnt too successful. I couldn't get the spectra tight enough when retrieving. Spectra would dig once in a great while. One is too many for me. Also ran into a situation where i had to retie a new leader during a hot bite. Took too long for me. I prefer the spectra to short topshot option. I tried to make that rigging option work for me b4 but i guess i'm still new to the spectra fishing. I'm aware that each rigging method has its pros n cons. I'll keep it simple since its my first tuna trip. For now the 15,20 and bumping the mxj to 30 is where i'm at. Maybe add a trout pole in the mix...lol Anyways, Thanks again everyone for giving such helpful tips. Can't wait to do the ARGHHH when i hook up... Gracias everyone!

De Nada!
As long as you have fun!