PDA

View Full Version : Taking a friends 11yo for her first time need some fishing help

downhillin1
07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
So my wife and I are taking a friend of mine, his wife and their 11yo daughter out on the boat for HER first time. My friends are not the big fishermen but she has her own pole and has never had any luck wioth it. If it were winter this would not be an issue as I dont seem to have an issue putting people on trout. I am primarily a trout and tuna guy....Maybe one of you at some point can show me how to fish for bass....

But anyway....I would like to put them on some bluegill of whiskers. I have caught whisker fish using a carolina rig and can show them that but I would like to put them on a little more action. I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers on fishing for the pan fish or better ways for catfish. We will more than likely be heading to Piru or Silverwood.

My Dad did this for kids when he was alive and I would like to keep the tradition of putting fishing poles in kids hands. As we all know when the line is being pulled things are more interesting and it becomes an experience that never is forgotten. I would like to make sure that she will always remember this and always want to fish....So can you guys help me out????

dfisher
07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Bluegills - put a bobber on your line and adjust the leader to the depth where you get bites at. Once that is figured out should be rather easy. I use meal worms. Line weight 2-4lb.

As for Cats, carolina rig or flyline. Bait I use is crawlers, fresh mackeral, shrimp, liver. Dip it into some stinky garlic.

downhillin1
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
What kind of shrimp are you using and if I can get fresh mackrel whats the next best bet

Troutman65
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Shrimp for catfishing, I use the raw whole shrimp w/ the head still on . I find them at the local Asain market. If there is a Ranch 99 market near you , you can get the mack & shrimp at one stop shopping. Good luck

Sublime-Steve
07-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Drive a little farther and go to lake perris and pay the 3 dollars to fish off the docks.. they will have a blast, use light lines and u should fine

dfisher
07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
yeah Ranch 99 has everything, make sure the mack isn't the white meat, want it as bloody as it can be.

Troutman65
07-06-2010, 09:04 PM
yeah Ranch 99 has everything, make sure the mack isn't the white meat, want it as bloody as it can be.

I have caught catfish with the white meat one . ( Blood drained ) I also caught a few bass with it also . If you can not find the one 's that are not blood drained the white meated ones will work in a pinch .

dfisher
07-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I have caught catfish with the white meat one . ( Blood drained ) I also caught a few bass with it also . If you can not find the one 's that are not blood drained the white meated ones will work in a pinch .

Yeah I have as well but everyone says get the bloody ones so I stick to that now.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
did you ever go out ?...how did it go with the kiddie ?

If you still need help let me know

downhillin1
07-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Tomorrows the big day.....I will have a report!