PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help and suggestion on fishing Catalina for first time

Keith R
07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm going to Catalina next week for 4 days (Sun-Wed) First time fishing Cat. (Low budget trip.) Borrowed buddies boat.
Any suggestions for making our own bait?
Looking to catch my first WSB :Razz:. Anyone wanting to share some pointers and locations.
Any help would be appreciated.
Looking to be able to give great report with photos of my first WSB and Yellows.

Fishbones
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
West end or bait grounds, you will find the fleet, watch your fishfinder, anchor up and fish away..fish squid it you can
find any 4 sale believe it or not i caught a sweet white seabass on some store bought squid, its cheap and it got bit..
buy some fishing lights and at night hang them over till the squid floats up and then net it till your tank if full.
then set up a bait rod with with sabiki to catch bait, sardines,macks. the rigs you can use to get the wsb or yellows are dropper loop with a squid or sardine or mack on one rod and the other a 3/4oz sliding egg sinker and squid or sardine or macks,.,you can also flyline any of those baits or slow troll sardines or mackrel or spanish mackrel. If its a little slow shoot towards the east and fish the kelp up close, flyline a bait towards the line and hold on for calico madness and mabye a white seabass or yellow,,
hope that helps..good luck and take lots of pics,