PDA

View Full Version : Oxnard, 5th Street 07-04-10

187fish
07-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Finally after a years long hiatus, I was able to go fishing again. I arrived at 5th street about 1:30pm. Weather was overcast, but that burned off later, with a slight breeze. The water was a nice brown color with the waves breaking pretty nicely. The beach immediately off the houses was pretty full of people, but I walked toward the power plant and found that most of that side of beach was empty. I was the only guy fishing for most of the afternoon, with a couple of guys showing up around 4. I was using the standard Carolina setup with fish crack for bait. Today the perch seemed to prefer the bloody color to anything else. The perch bite was WFO with most fish averaging about the size of my hand, with a few models going a couple of inches bigger. I also managed about half a dozen croakers on sand crabs, with the largest being about 12". I threw a few MORF grubs to try and change things up a bit, but for no takers. At about 5:45 the bite seemed to slow down, so I called it a day. I was amazed that I didn't see any sliders. I would have thought with all the sand crabs they would be all over the place, but no dice. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera to take any pictures, but I'll have one next time. It felt great to get back to doing what I love and as soon as I finish working on my boat, I'm heading back out to Casitas. Hope everyone has a great 4th.

Chris

flyngby
07-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Nice day of perchin and croakin!

Steve

murrieta angler
07-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Sounds like you had a good time out there.
Robert