PDA

View Full Version : The heartache Of Putting A Pet To Sleep

Fishbones
07-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Losing a pet is like losing a part of the family and it hurts just as much or even more especially to those with small or no family at all. A few days a go my 11 year old Labrador retriever name "FORD" stopped eating and really could not walk.We had thought ok just a quick visit to our wonderful pet doctor and we will be home in a hour but we were wrong. He had been having small minor spine problems in the last few months but a simple visit to the doctor for a quick steroid shot and he was good as new. Well this wasnt the case, this time it was serious, when we first walked in the doctor immediately looked up at me and said this is bad, as much as he wished it was his spine because this was a simple fix, it wasnt and he rushed FORD off to the back for a blood test and fluids thru a iv. After a few hours he brought us in and explained what was wrong with him and gave us the options of what we can do. the details of FORDS problems were severe and made us understand that even with emergency care and thousands of dollars to save him he would not last days or even weeks at that. After hours of tears and saying goodbye and many family discussions we decided he had suffered enough and at 4:20 pm i lay next to him petting his head as the doctor slow injected FORD and put him to sleep. This was one of the hardest things i had ever done, even harder than losing a close friend and i have lost quite a few to lifes many callings. For those of you that had lost pets i must make you understand that FORD is not like other dogs he had something special about him, We picked FORD up from a shelter and he was black tagged (last day alive) within days he got seriously ill like most kennel dogs but managed to survive with no problems and had lived a wonderful life.
he was the most gentle loving dog i had ever met, he would walk up to you and you would get this feeling of peacefulness, he was like a old soul that had lived many years just from the look in his eyes. He had a rough life with many problems and trips to the emergency and always managed to bounce back better than ever but from the this was his time. We miss him very much and cherish his memories in our hearts forever.

Here he is when we first got him from the shelter, just so cute as can be
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0548-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0550-1.jpg

Within a few months we picked up another great shelter dog name "DAISY"
and there friendship began.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0538-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0540-1.jpg

FORD playing with his favorite stick, a old X-mas tree carved down
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0547-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0545-1.jpg

As we got older together our friendship bonded and grew stronger
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0544-1.jpg

He use to love to dress up for holidays and just wear any clothes we put on him
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0536-1.jpg

As he grew older i knew that he had start to slow down but his love was never ending
he would walk up to you and nudge your hand to pet him or lift his paw on your lap for love
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0537-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0543-1.jpg

This is my favorite picture of FORD that i will always keep in my heart
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0546-1.jpg
We miss and love him very much may he Rest In Peace

I ask all of you to give your pets a hug for me as i have just lost mine.

Swank909
07-04-2010, 05:46 PM
RIP Ford, he sounds like a great dog. I'm sorry for your loss Alex.

-Dan

smokehound
07-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Aw man that sucks... My cat's getting there herself.. she's 18 now, and she's showing severe nervous symptoms...

Labs are the coolest freakin dogs out there, man. I had a lab when i was younger, but she escaped and got lost we never found her.

it sucks to have to put your best friend down... I have to make this decision soon myself. it's like driving a knife in your own gut.

His suffering is now over. You did the right thing.

old pudd fisher
07-04-2010, 07:59 PM
I feel for you Alex they just have short lifes, and I have lost a lot of them in my day. We have four dogs right now two are just terrorized buy fireworks so we are staying home with them this 4th. They all have been rescued and are so loving to us. Take care. Ted

flyngby
07-04-2010, 08:14 PM
RIP Ford!

Sorry for your loss Alex! "MANS BEST FRIEND" when we are in the Dog House!

Just got back from taking our 2 couped up pups for their first adventure in the wild in months after losing their heavenly playground to the fire floods!

I think we shall do it again tomorrow in lieu of fishing as life cane be so fragile!

Hang in there!

Steve

Danny300
07-04-2010, 08:24 PM
sorry about your lose bro :Crying:

Sea Monkey
07-04-2010, 09:08 PM
OH Alex.... At least you know he's playing fetch with GOD now. Sorry for the sadness. I keep a very similar picture of my "BELLA", she's smiling just as big as FORD and it's how I always remember her!

CAPT'N
07-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Alex,

I feel your pain. While I have had several dogs, one stands out. He was a weimaraner, and lived to be 13. He was my best friend, protector, and companion. When he was diagnosed with stomach cancer, I held him in my lap, while the good doctor ended his pain.

I remember Max like he was here yesterday. I am sure FORD will be close to your heart for ever.

Scott

Big Daddy
07-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Sorry Alex for your loss, I know this pain all to much. Words just are not enough at this time my friend. I really hope with all my heart that "ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN".

Native Gal
07-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Fishbones,
Sorry for the loss of a "BEST FRIEND". I too feel your pain. My "BEST FRIEND" Harley had to go to heaven early as well three years ago in March. We came home early from work one day and we always checked on the dogs first thing. He did not come to get his treat and I looked around the house and found him slowly getting up, knew something wasn't good, was hoping he ate something bad and it would pass. He didn't sleep well and first thing in the a.m. rushed him to his Vet back up in Victorville from Moreno Valley. They did alot of tests and decided to keep him overnight after the results, with a heavy heart I left him overnight and first thing next a.m. they called us and said it wasn't good, Cancer all over inside him. What a heart break shock for me. Made the immediate decision to let him go because I knew it was the best, although I was crying. Called my husband and he said tell them to keep him if he was doing ok until he got off work early so he could hold them while they put him to sleep. Harley was my best friend, what a kind, loving, smart and playful dog he was. He and I had a special bond and he loved and protected me from the beginning. Unconditional Love was definitely him, he loved kids and older people, he was gentle with. So with a saddened heart he went to heaven at 8 1/2 years. I hurt so bad for a year, it was easier getting over my divorce than losing him. I still think about him alot and cry at times because I miss him so much, so many memories. I told my current husband who Harley loved alot as well immediately that now HE was my best friend, lol. Harley was one of a kind, very affectionate and always willing to play. In fact that summer we were going to start taking him with us when we went fishing. He still sends little Angels to check on me, Hummingbirds and butterflies. Even my friends and family who knew our bond were shocked and saddened when he went to Heaven. Then a year later in April we had to put one of my husbands dogs down, Sammy. He was about 13, of old age. So we both were heartbroke again. Now I have the last dog Maggie with me and she is about 17 and soon will be going to meet her brothers. So I know your pain and I am sorry about your special "friend". Thankfully you will always have memories, sometimes out of the blue I have a thought of Harley and I laugh and remember good times. He will always be in my Heart. I carry both dogs tags in my fishing license holder for luck and protection. In fact the last time I fished Lake Gregory a month or so ago I asked Harley to send me some luck and I caught a very nice 2.16 lb trout, my PB at the Lake.
Your lil Angel will send you some reminders that his spirit will always be with you, so take that to Heart as you recover from your loss. Remember they still want us to be Happy even though they are not with us. Sorry once again and thanks for sharing pixs of your buddy.

NG

Prowler_Tuber
07-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm so sorry brother I understand your kiss I've loss two dogs that I've had to put my two dogs down and it was like loosing my family member. Dogs are truly mans best friend remember the great times I've never forgot mine, if you need anything let me know.

old pudd fisher
07-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I like animals more then people. They are more trustful.

DockRat
07-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss Alex.

Here is the difference between Animals and Humans. Us humans are forced to suffer, doctors, meds, ect.

Take some fragile 80 year old and some doc will be able to keep that 80 year old going for a couple of months longer EVEN IF the quality of life is terrible or in pain.
How many times have you seen some cancer victim or senior getting pumped full of drugs to add only a short amount of extended life.

Lucky for animals or pets they don't have to suffer like we will have to.
Some people do the wrong thing by trying to do the same with pets by thinking they will last forever.
If you love your pet then do the right thing by not letting it suffer only for ones own personal satisfaction.

Here is our 45 year dog list. RIP
Dobie
Murphy
Freddy
George
Wapo
Daisy
Sierra

Current dogs are Scout and Bo Bo Charlie

Time cures pain. Hang in there Bro.
DR

NachoFish
07-05-2010, 08:45 AM
When you told me this the other day I was so heartbroken for you. You have been supportive and here for us this week so I wanted to let you know I'm sorry for your loss. My lab was the best dog I've ever had. You know how to reach me if you need to talk.

Donna

PONTOON
07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Alex, my heart goes out for you.
Reading your post reminded me of my last dog, a springer spaniel, named Brookie. She was an avid creek fisherman and loved it when we jumped in the truck to head out and do a little fishing. The memories will always be with you.

Sue
07-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Alex. I've never had a dog, but have had cats all of my life. My ex husband and I recently lost one of our cats and it was a very rough time indeed even though I only had visitation rights.

Animals are like kids to some of us who chose not to have children, or can't have children.

Wingnut
07-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Alex, our sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend. :Neutral:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture105.jpg

Mondo21
07-05-2010, 12:01 PM
What a beautiful story about your Best Friend. I got teary-eyed. I have 2 puppies, Ruby and Diamond. I feel your lost. Dogs are just like children. I have never lost a dog in my Adult life. But,as I was driving to work one evening recently, a med sized Puppy was crossing busy, Van Nuys Blvd and was hit,right in front of my eyes. I yelled and started praying for God to help him. He did pop up and hopped onto the sidewalk. That incident made me sad all day,everytime I thought about the puppy. I feel your pain, it will get better with time. Take Care, Cindy:Neutral:

Bassnman Mike
07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Alex, I'm the same way, I also become very attached to my pets so trust me, I understand your pain and I'm truly sorry for your loss. In the past when I lost any of my pets I was so devestated that I had to take time off work to mourn. After my Akita Brat died quite a few years back I told myself no more pets for me. Now I have Marilyn the Cockatoo who has a life expectancy of up to 70 years so chances are she will out live me. Experts say to make provisions in your will for them.

BassnMan Mike

fisherman from long beach
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
a alex sorry to hear about your buddy ford,i know how hard it is to lose mans best friend.keep your head up buddy.

perch
07-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Sorry for your loss Alex. I to have lost a dog in the past and its never easy but my dog had a story kind of like yours and as much as we didnt want to have to put her to sleep we really didnt want her to suffer when there wasnt anything more we or our vets could do to help her even with surgery we couldnt help her. Im here to say I felt so bad that I said I would never have another pet. But now that we have kids and I finally decided to get another puppy for the kids its been great. You can never replace a part of the family for sure and its always hard but try to remember the good times you had with your great dog/ family member. Take care we will be thinking and say a prayer for you and your family.

Fishbones
07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Thank you all for your kind words of comfort and support, he was a great friend and will be missed greatly.
I really appreciate everyones stories and memories of there loved pets that they have lost or expecting in the near future.
Sad thing is i dont think our other dog Daisy understands and it hurts to see her looking for him and smelling for him..
i mean that was the only other real connection she had to the animal life and now shes alone and sad.

Mondo21
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Thank you all for your kind words of comfort and support, he was a great friend and will be missed greatly.
I really appreciate everyones stories and memories of there loved pets that they have lost or expecting in the near future.
Sad thing is i dont think our other dog Daisy understands and it hurts to see her looking for him and smelling for him..
i mean that was the only other real connection she had to the animal life and now shes alone and sad.

Get out to the shelter and get her another Best Friend for Daisy and it will make you feel better also. I guarantee it! :Thumbs Up::Big Smile: Cindy

Jackpot Jimmy
07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I feel for you Alex. We've had to put to sleep a few of our cats in my life, the last one being just a year and a half ago. It looks like you two had a very good bond and took some good pictures. Keep those pictures up around your house so you can always remember the good times you shared with Ford.

We got a little kitten just a few months after we had to put our last cat to sleep, but we will never forget her.

Fishbones
07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Get out to the shelter and get her another Best Friend for Daisy and it will make you feel better also. I guarantee it! :Thumbs Up::Big Smile: Cindy

Yeah, thats what were gonna do, we have always got all our dogs from shelters.
thanks for the good words of insperation Cindy.

E.A.R.G.
07-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey Alex,
I want to put a positive spin to this, or as positive it could be in a time like this.
I think its an awesome story, whether we like it or not, all life is going to pass away. There is no stopping that, whether its today or next week or ten years or even 100 years... its inevitable. We can only do our best to make it as amazing as possible. And I think that's what you and your ole friend did.
You rescued FORD from the shelter, one day from extermination, and you guys made an awesome story together. You and Ford loved each other, im sure Ford blessed your life alot and you definitely gave Ford a loving home. Its beautiful man. It seems like an awesome celebration of life! touching and beautiful story man.

Fishbones
07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Alex,
I want to put a positive spin to this, or as positive it could be in a time like this.
I think its an awesome story, whether we like it or not, all life is going to pass away. There is no stopping that, whether its today or next week or ten years or even 100 years... its inevitable. We can only do our best to make it as amazing as possible. And I think that's what you and your ole friend did.
You rescued FORD from the shelter, one day from extermination, and you guys made an awesome story together. You and Ford loved each other, im sure Ford blessed your life alot and you definitely gave Ford a loving home. Its beautiful man. It seems like an awesome celebration of life! touching and beautiful story man.

Thank you Eric, Your words and expressions are touching and really help bro, thank you.

Sea Monkey
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't forget to post pictures of Daisy's new best friend!!! Hope you're feeling better Alex!

Fishbones
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Don't forget to post pictures of Daisy's new best friend!!! Hope you're feeling better Alex!

I will for sure, thank you Renee we are slowly getting better but its still tough..

CASTAWAY
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Sorry about your lost Alex.

RIP: Fordster.

old pudd fisher
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Go out and save a new doggy, I just wish I had room for more. You will be happy you did it and Daisy can have a new pal to play with. I'am sure she must miss Ford as bad as you... Take care.

murrieta angler
07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I just read this Alex and I feel for you Bro!
Some very good friends of ours just had to put their 14 year old lab ( Bovie) down this past Monday. She was a very nice dog and always came up to you for a quick pat on the head or scratch behind the ear.
When I found out I came home and gave my mutt, Ozzy ( 9 years old ), a hug! I will do the same today for you Bro!
Robert

GotBass?
07-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Just reading this puts a lump in my throat. My heart goes out to you man, losing a pet is just like losing a member of your family. Atleast you were there to comfort him for his last moments. Cherish the memories. Celebrate his life rather then mourning his death

Fishbones
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Sorry about your lost Alex.RIP: Fordster.

Thank you CASTAWAY, Fordster,,,i like it..

Go out and save a new doggy, I just wish I had room for more. You will be happy you did it and Daisy can have a new pal to play with. I'am sure she must miss Ford as bad as you... Take care.

thats the plan old pudd fisher, we along with daisy miss him and need a new buddy.

I just read this Alex and I feel for you Bro!
Some very good friends of ours just had to put their 14 year old lab ( Bovie) down this past Monday. She was a very nice dog and always came up to you for a quick pat on the head or scratch behind the ear.
When I found out I came home and gave my mutt, Ozzy ( 9 years old ), a hug! I will do the same today for you Bro!
Robert

Thank you Robert, your love passed to your dog means alot to me, thank you....good old ozzy...

Just reading this puts a lump in my throat. My heart goes out to you man, losing a pet is just like losing a member of your family. Atleast you were there to comfort him for his last moments. Cherish the memories. Celebrate his life rather then mourning his death

Thank you GotBass, the lump is slowly fading for me but my memory remains strong.

Hitts0n
07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Dang Im sorry to hear about this Alex.Seem like you picked a great Dog for the family! Im very over protective over my 3 dogs cuss they are small.But I do need to get mines out so they can run wild! R.I.P Ford! He looked like a strong soldier!

Fishbones
07-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Dang Im sorry to hear about this Alex.Seem like you picked a great Dog for the family! Im very over protective over my 3 dogs cuss they are small.But I do need to get mines out so they can run wild! R.I.P Ford! He looked like a strong soldier!

Thanks Hitts, he was a soildier for sure, been through it all. Let the little terrors out free to run,,

Dodger Doggy
07-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Wow, Alex. I understand more than you could know - yet I do believe each individual experiences love and loss of animals in their own way, as each one meant something unique for the person's life it was meant to touch. It is obvious the emotion you shared, and I do hope the sadness passes - full well knowing the love you shared with Ford will always be a part of you!

Let me say this though. The picture all of you have seen as "Dodger Doggy" is of my beloved friend Bear, an abandoned dog who found me at Irvine Lake(!) in the late 90's when I was fishing with Troutdog! (As you can see, this would be a long story in itself.) Bear "went to see Xena" (died, if you must) last year March, but I keep him as my pic here anyway, even though I have a new dog - a black lab - who ran into a crowded street at the exact spot my dog Bear ran away to twice the week before he died. (He had never previously left the cul de sac, so you can imagine I believe Bear "brought me" to Bella too.) The thing is, I never loved anything absolutely perfectly on a daily basis my entire life to the extent I did Bear - so in a very real way for me, I don't miss him so much as I feel he is still very much a part of me. He is a huge reason I became the person I am. And I say this because I think you know exactly what I mean. I think many of you do.

I am so glad you are getting a new dog - even though that's also a decision that's entirely a personal one. I think the dogs who have "left us" would want us to give the same kind of love to a new spirit as we did to them. I think all this is connected in ways we can't even imagine.....so I won't try and make a claim as to what it is. I just know that it is good.

Do what you can, my friend. I wish you the best in handling Ford not being around......but I smile knowing what made you close to Ford still exists in you. I wish for you a very happy life.

-Alan "Dodger Doggy" Wilson

Fishbones
07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Wow, Alex. I understand more than you could know - yet I do believe each individual experiences love and loss of animals in their own way, as each one meant something unique for the person's life it was meant to touch. It is obvious the emotion you shared, and I do hope the sadness passes - full well knowing the love you shared with Ford will always be a part of you!

Let me say this though. The picture all of you have seen as "Dodger Doggy" is of my beloved friend Bear, an abandoned dog who found me at Irvine Lake(!) in the late 90's when I was fishing with Troutdog! (As you can see, this would be a long story in itself.) Bear "went to see Xena" (died, if you must) last year March, but I keep him as my pic here anyway, even though I have a new dog - a black lab - who ran into a crowded street at the exact spot my dog Bear ran away to twice the week before he died. (He had never previously left the cul de sac, so you can imagine I believe Bear "brought me" to Bella too.) The thing is, I never loved anything absolutely perfectly on a daily basis my entire life to the extent I did Bear - so in a very real way for me, I don't miss him so much as I feel he is still very much a part of me. He is a huge reason I became the person I am. And I say this because I think you know exactly what I mean. I think many of you do.

I am so glad you are getting a new dog - even though that's also a decision that's entirely a personal one. I think the dogs who have "left us" would want us to give the same kind of love to a new spirit as we did to them. I think all this is connected in ways we can't even imagine.....so I won't try and make a claim as to what it is. I just know that it is good.

Do what you can, my friend. I wish you the best in handling Ford not being around......but I smile knowing what made you close to Ford still exists in you. I wish for you a very happy life.

-Alan "Dodger Doggy" Wilson

Hey Alan,

Thank you for your kind words and sharing my love for our animals.
We can never experct our friends to leave us and it usually hurts and being able to understand the impact
that our animals had on us and accepting there moving on to the big feild in the sky can be hard.
I understand that Ford will always be next to me in spirit and in my heart forever.
Great story of dodger dog, sounds like an amazing dog and bond you two shared
now that hes gone you still honor him in your avatar pic, thats really touching.
Thank you for your compassion and words to heal it means alot to me.

Take care,

Granny Fish
07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
So sorry to hear that you had to make that decision. It is amazing how a dog can own one's heart. I agree with what Dodger Doggy states regarding getting a new dog.

Fishbones
07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
So sorry to hear that you had to make that decision. It is amazing how a dog can own one's heart. I agree with what Dodger Doggy states regarding getting a new dog.

Thank you Granny Fish, it was a tough decision but not wanting to be selfish and keep him around suffering i said my goodbyes.
I was at the vet yesterday getting Daisy her shots and the our doc said it was too soon for her to have a new friend and she will need more time before we get another dog, which kinda bummed me but i completely understood his point.
For now Daisy girl will be alone but overwelmed by our love and affection.

Sparky70
07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Sorry, I know how you feel, I had to put down my "Sugar" (Springer Spanial) a couple years back on account of old age.

Fishbones
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I know how you feel, I had to put down my "Sugar" (Springer Spanial) a couple years back on account of old age.

Thank you Sparky70, its not easy and i still miss him everyday..,.,.i like spanials alot...

smokehound
07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I love labs, best dogs ever. Great family dogs. we had one that had a "soft mouth", and she would always gently bring us hurt birds. Awesome instincts they have.

KID CREOLE
07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Alex,

Yes it is very hard to lose a pet or have to put one down.

I know how hard it has been for me and my hunting buddys who all owned amd lost labradors.

As you and I know, Labs are the best dogs (JK) on the planet which makes it even tougher to lose.

Get another one as soon as you can, keep your chin up, it gets better but doesn't go away!!!!

Fishbones
07-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I love labs, best dogs ever. Great family dogs. we had one that had a "soft mouth", and she would always gently bring us hurt birds. Awesome instincts they have.

They are great dogs,.,.,X2 on the instincts..

Alex,
Yes it is very hard to lose a pet or have to put one down.
I know how hard it has been for me and my hunting buddys who all owned amd lost labradors.
As you and I know, Labs are the best dogs (JK) on the planet which makes it even tougher to lose.
Get another one as soon as you can, keep your chin up, it gets better but doesn't go away!!!!

It certainly is but better than having them suffer,Im looking forward to the next one hopefully soon.