PDA

View Full Version : Perris Lake Bluegill

tunagod1
07-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Dad called and wanted to go catch some bluegill, so it was off to Perris lake. Stupid me forgot it was July 4th, arrived at 6:00 am and the line was almost to the Farmers Market. The Lake personnel had there act toghther today and had all lanes open at the entrance. We got the boat in the water at around 7:00ish, and made our way over to the island.

We fished a couple of our usual spots, finally found the larger grade of Bluegill and loaded up. While we were fishing DFG stops by to check for licenses, I showed my license and asked why they were checking on a "FREE fishing day". I said oh yeah I forgot. Anyway, he had mentioned that he just checked a pontoon boat full of 1 day licenses. I quess if you don't know, the shop won't tell you.

Anyway, it was a nice morning with overcast until 11:00, which kept it cool. The larger models seemed to move off the shallow stuff when the sun came out. Most of the fish were caught in 6ft of water. The Bluegill were all on crickets and the redear on redworms.

Dad is 80 years old, but can still out fish me, when it comes to Bluegill.

Tight Lines

Tuna out

exfactor
07-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't understand what you mean when you said DFG was checking licenses on a free fishing day. Could you elaborate?

Natural Lefty
07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
If I may answer for Tunagod, I think they were trying to find out what percentage of fisherpeople had no license today, maybe learning to fish. I don't think they were trying to give tickets to anyone.

I think I may have met your father on the marina docks at Perris (and also at Puddingstone), Tunagod. If so, he is known as a real "fish magnet." Dang, I wish I could catch a bunch of larger fish from shore like that, but I guess you need a boat, at least this time of year. Anyway, good catch!

smokehound
07-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice job on the slab! FYI, on a free fishing day, certain things limit you. ---only one rod. Surf-fishing is off-limits, due to the requirement of the ocean enhancement stamp.

tunagod1
07-04-2010, 08:04 PM
[
I think I may have met your father on the marina docks at Perris (and also at Puddingstone), Tunagod. If so, he is known as a real "fish magnet." Dang, I wish I could catch a bunch of larger fish from shore like that, but I guess you need a boat, at least this time of year. Anyway, good catch![/QUOTE]

You probably know him from Puddingstone, Dad (Steve) has been a foundation member there for 20+ years.

From shore we used to fish the bernasconi beach rocks, we used the weighted pencil floats and a 8ft leader and a small split sot 12" above the hook. We would work the rocks from the end of the camping area toward rock climbers hill. The issue is the weighted pencil floats, the only one ones I know of are all hand carved, (Dad makes them). Since we have the boat, its all drop shot 3/16 oz and a #11 Isuo hook.

tunagod1
07-05-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't understand what you mean when you said DFG was checking licenses on a free fishing day. Could you elaborate?

The DFG offers two free fishing days a year, Its usually June and Sept. But the DFG made the early date to July 4th, A free fishing day, means that no license is required. Its meant to promote fishing and hopefully make it enjoyable so that they could sell more licenses.

excert from Ca DFG:
Free Fishing Days
Have you ever felt the excitement of watching your bobber suddenly jiggle, then dive out of sight? Or feeling the tap-tap-tap of a bass as it tastes the worm on the end of your line? Or having a salmon practically tear the rod out of your hands as it smashes your lure? What's that? You say you never learned to fish?

Well, if you are new to the sport of fishing, and not sure if you will enjoy it, we have a great opportunity for you. The Department of Fish and Game offers two Free Fishing Days each year. On these days, you can fish without having to buy a sport fishing license. Free Fishing Days provide a great, low-cost way to give fishing a try. Some Department offices offer a Fishing in the City program where you can go fishing in the middle of major metropolitan areas – perhaps just a few blocks from your home. Fishing in the City and free fishing day clinics are designed to educate people just like you about fish habits, proven methods of catching fish, and tackle you'll need. You can even learn how to clean and prepare your catch so you can enjoy it for dinner that night.

While all fishing regulations, such as bag and size limits, gear restrictions, report card requirements, fishing hours and stream closures remain in effect; there are two days each year when anyone can fish without purchasing a fishing license.

Free Fishing days for 2010 are JULY 4th and SEPTEMBER 6th.

On Free Fishing Days, every angler must have the appropriate report card if they are fishing for:

abalone
steelhead
sturgeon
spiny lobster
or salmon in the Smith and Klamath-Trinity River Systems.

Hope this helps

Tuna Out

Natural Lefty
07-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Tunagod, I did meet your father for sure, then, first at Puddingstone, the Perris earlier this year. I remember another guy Dave saying his name is Steve. I talked to your dad at Perris about how he helped catch a bunch of Redears from the Colorado River which were stocked into Diamond Valley Lake. He mentioned you (presumably) and something about fishing on the Colorado River with you. I mentioned your dad on the post from March when it turned out that I already knew all the other people who were fishing on that section of dock. I remember that your dad also had some special hooks, the Isuo hooks, I guess.

tunagod1
07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Tunagod, I did meet your father for sure, then, first at Puddingstone, the Perris earlier this year. I remember another guy Dave saying his name is Steve. I talked to your dad at Perris about how he helped catch a bunch of Redears from the Colorado River which were stocked into Diamond Valley Lake. He mentioned you (presumably) and something about fishing on the Colorado River with you. I mentioned your dad on the post from March when it turned out that I already knew all the other people who were fishing on that section of dock. I remember that your dad also had some special hooks, the Isuo hooks, I guess.

Its funny, Ive fished all over and there are alot of people that know him. One time at Hemet lake I was catching small bluegill left and right. we gave the fish to a couple fishing nearby. The gentleman stated he only new one guy that caught fish that quick. He mentioned the weighted pencil floats and Puddingstione. I told him that that he was my dad. What a coincidence. As far as the hook goes, we can only get them in Hawaii, they are $8.45 for 100 hooks. The hook design is called improved self hooking. If you PM me I will send you the info on how to order by phone. unless you're going to Hawaii soon. I usually fish the size 11 hook but the 10 works well for bass and trout. Dad uses hooks as small as the #14 but it is very small and the fish will swallow everytime.

fishmounter
07-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Chuxder.... You don't know where everyone fishing at Lake Perris with a one-day license bought their license. I'm sure some may have bought theirs at Walmart, Sports Authority, Turners, etc., etc... The marina store may have sold some to people, (hopefully not) but not to all the people like you make it seem. Besides there's a lot of people that don't buy licenses anyway... But whatever...

fishmounter
07-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Chuxder, No worries man, it's cool... but who did you mean when you said "the tackle shop".. ? I don't have any reason to defend the store there at Perris, and did not take personal offense to anything you said. Maybe some of these people that sell licenses, from whatever store, are just not informed or maybe forgot about this "free license day". I'm sure some dishonest sales people knew about it and went ahead and sold them anyway. It is too bad and it does add up to a lot of $. I agree with you.
Hey bro, absolutely nothing against you. I'm glad you care about this.