PDA

View Full Version : 7/20/07 PM 1/2 DAY Southern Cal - BERRY GOOD DAY w/pics

k3vin_kim
07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Went solo again outta pierpoint landing. WIDE FRIEKIN' OPEN on the cuda's today. Just couldn't avoid them. Yeah they are fun to catch and all. But even after we left the Shoe we stopped by a couple spots for bass and STILL cuda's were coming up. Everywhere from the bottom dropper loop to the surface with plastic to the lower the middle and top with jigs.

There was a bunch of other boats in line at the shoe. The whole Horse Shoe was umbrella'd with birds. Icon, Matt Walsh, Enterprise and a couple more were all present.

The moment we dropped anchor it was rod bending action non stop. The slimies were jumping out of the water.

We had plenty of small chovies, just perfect to chum with.

It didn't matter what you used. You got Slammed. I caught 5 on the Blue and White YoYo, 3 on the plastic of the day and 2 on a dropper loop.

The sealions came for about an hour, took about 4 or 5 peoples fish right off the hook and then left us alone. I battled a sealion for a couple of minutes and actually WON~!! well... minus the tail but I still managed to time it right and yanked it out of it's mouth when it was re-gripping. Dude, I skipped that cuda on the surface of the water for about 20 yards and the dog was chasing my catch as if it was rightfully his.

After about 3 hours of catching Barries we had so many on the boat that people started leaving them on the ground and walking all over them. I understand sometimes when the bite is hot, you want to get your hook back in the water ASAP to hook up again but, these poor fish were just left there without an owner. They looked like orphans on the sidewalk.

After I limited out, well, at least i had 9 and 3/4 of a cuda, we stopped by a couple of spots outside the shoe and landed plenty of nice grumpys and Calicos. Mainly on plastic. We stayed there for an hour and took off.

Thanks for reading my report.

Wish Us luck guys, FJ and I are going down to Point Loma on the Grande for some longfins tomorrow~!! I'll Be sure to report again when we get back.

sansou
07-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Very nice pics and report!

Indeed those are some nice grade barracuda!

Thanks for sharing,

Sansou

fishincrzygrl
07-20-2007, 09:37 PM
good job out there.
catch a limit for me. :D

k3vin_kim
07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
And I'll try my best fishncryzgirl

JapanRon
07-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi K3vin_kim,

Excellent report and fishing trip. Glad you had a good time. I hope the cuda cool down by the next time I get out on the water next week!

See ya on one or the other boat!

JapanRon

k3vin_kim
07-20-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm sure we crossed paths sometime somewhere.

ThanksKK
07-20-2007, 10:50 PM
wow. cuda fever. thanks for the pics and report.

tkm127
07-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Looks like a really great trip! How do you tie a droper loop?

KaliDawgFan
07-21-2007, 07:25 AM
I battled a sealion for a couple of minutes and actually WON~!! well... minus the tail but I still managed to time it right and yanked it out of it's mouth when it was re-gripping.

Too bad you can't electrify your line or something. I bet those sea lions would let go REALLY quick lol.

k3vin_kim
07-21-2007, 08:37 AM
hey, that's a great idea~!! I should take a stun gun and zap the cuda wire leader. just remember to wear rubber gloves~!!

christainmetalhead909
07-21-2007, 09:22 AM
awesome report and nice pics i love to see every one having a good time. i know when the bite is WFO i dont have to to take pics haha i would rather fish. thanks again good job

k3vin_kim
07-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I've only been fishing for about a year now. but I've been going out TWICE a week for this past year. I've matured quite quickly in the sport. I used to get excited when I caught even a mackeral but now I find myself taking time off from fishing to snap some photos so I can share it with everyone on FNN. Even if the fish are biting. I consider myself a rookie still and have much more to learn. I hope you guys enjoy the pics, I'll be sure to take lots more on the Grande tomorrow~!!

christainmetalhead909
07-21-2007, 09:55 AM
good luck, ill look forward to your report im going to go out on the freelance on monday i hope i do as well as you did. ill try to take the time to take some action pics haha. take care

k3vin_kim
07-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Alright Christian, good luck. And tell Chris (Goofy) the deckhand that Kevin his little Korean brother says Hi. And that he owes me $10.

christainmetalhead909
07-21-2007, 10:24 AM
haha ok i will, what does he look like?

christainmetalhead909
07-21-2007, 10:32 AM
oh i got a question, was the cuda bite all day or after it started to get warm?

k3vin_kim
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I was on the 1/2 day PM. As the anglers disembarked from the Am they said "nothing but sculpin." So yes it was after it got warm. But like i said, the moment we stopped (around 12:45) the bite never slowed down.

vile
07-21-2007, 11:51 AM
i'm taking my son out for the first time tonite, can't wait

k3vin_kim
07-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Awesome vile, good luck. You're going at night? Make sure to bring plastics man those Sand bass are charged up~!!

valhalla_1_2000
07-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Great report, glad you had fun. Barracuda are my favorite saltwater fish.

k3vin_kim
07-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Are you Serious?!?!?! Dude, I wish you came yesterday, I ended up leaving all 10 on the back of the boat. Did you mean favorite saltwater fish to catch or to eat?

Granny Fish
07-21-2007, 03:55 PM
That is a lot of berries for certain. Hope you get your target catch next time, but hey, you caught a lot of fish! I bet it was fun.

k3vin_kim
07-21-2007, 04:11 PM
You bet Granny, i had a blast. Except there was a couple of Prima Donna's on board. Nothing ruins a beginners mood more than a Prima Donna that's just too good to answer a simple question like... "So how'd you do today?" He glanced at me, chewing his gum and continued packing his stuff up.

SOSO
07-21-2007, 05:46 PM
You bet Granny, i had a blast. Except there was a couple of Prima Donna's on board. Nothing ruins a beginners mood more than a Prima Donna that's just too good to answer a simple question like... "So how'd you do today?" He glanced at me, chewing his gum and continued packing his stuff up.

Oh snap! Kevin was that you. My bad! I will let you know how i did next time.

valhalla_1_2000
07-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Yo Kevin, I can't believe you wasted all that Barracuda!!! As far as your question, yes, Barracuda are both my favorite saltwater fish to catch, and especially to eat.

BIGBASS MB
07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
:shock: Nice day on the water, glad to see everyone happy out there. Thanks for the report
:thumb:

sapdawg11
07-22-2007, 02:14 PM
its funny when kids want to be seen smoking as much as possible. I remember those days.

JapanRon
07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi K3vin_kim,

I don't call those type of guys Prima Donas, nor do I call them anglers or fisherman either ...... with that attitude. The boat, in my opinion, is the place to drop all the pretense and postering and just be a regular guy!

You're asking the question made you fair game to be snubbed by the JA and the only thing to do is turn around completely and mumble to your self 'to be overheard' something like ... 'didn't think you did worth J... S .....!' :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand .... maybe the guy couldn't chew gum, look at you, and talk at the same time! Guys gotta know their limitations! :D

out ....

Oh ya ...... SOSOFRESH .. that's a good funny!! thanks!

JapanRon

k3vin_kim
07-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. BigBass.

Valhalla~! Listen, Funjunkie and I are gonna go lay the wood down on the slime sticks this Sunday 7/29 on the Freelance out of Davies Locker. You're free to take about 20 barries if you can show up this Sunday.

SapDawg~! I don't really MEAN to have a cig in my pictures, it's just that if you look at the two pictures, they were shot one after the other so it may appear that I'm smoking ALL THE TIME because the pix were sequenced so that my report would make sense. But I do smoke a lot.

SoSOfResh~! I'm sure that wasn't you. The JA was like 50 something.

Ron - Thanks for the tips, I'll keep em in mind.

Anyways, It's almost 1 in the morning on Monday. Just got back from Mexico on the Grande. I'll write the report tomorrow after work. I caught my first albacore.