PDA

View Full Version : More Corbina help...

MikeAce00
07-20-2007, 06:52 PM
I think I'm going after the corbina again tomorrow and had a few questions...

What is the best way to pin on the crab? I've seen pictures where the hook is sticking way out, while others say bury the hook...

If I bury the hook will it kill the crab and if so does that matter?

What is the best way to catch the sand crabs by (hand or rake)? Also storing them? I caught a few the other day by hand, then stored them in a small plastic ziplock container and within an hour they were all dead... I had a wet paper towel in with them and they were not in direct sunlight...

Lastly, my probable beaches..

Balboa, Bolsa Chica, Sunset, Seal Beach...

Any reccomendation for tomorrow morning would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Mike

sansou
07-20-2007, 07:24 PM
This is what works for me: hook them in the butt at the furthest edge possible, leave the hook exposed facing upwards. I think they live longer like this.

They like to spit hooks, so you have to do a quick hookset (I constantly watch my line for quick pulls), and by having the hook exposed you increase your chances. Just my humble opinion.

Good luck out there & looking forward to your report!

smokehound
07-20-2007, 10:01 PM
They died by being stressed out too much.

if you put some damp sand in a bucket, they will live alot longer. Dont fill the bucket with water. When you put them in an enviroment they arent equipped for, they become terrified, and have heart attacks.

Leaving them in a container without sand is like leaving a live fish in a bucket without water. Never put freshwater on them.

I never insert the hook in them, i put the hook under them, so they straddle it. Then i tie them to the hook with thread. Use red or tan thread.

You can also thread some live fresh mussel to them, to "sweeten" them.

rusty6
07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
tying bait to the hook is illegal, i hook mine like sansou does, through the butt with the hook facing upwards

MikeAce00
07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, hopefully I'll get one soon.

Mike