PDA

View Full Version : Really desperate for work

Sue
07-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey guys,

I've been unemployed since September. I 've applied for a zillion jobs and been on a bunch of interviews, but to swallow my pride here, I paid rent for July but now I'm down to less than $100 and I'm desperate for work. Whether it's just day labouring, cleaning toilets (hell, I'll even use a toothbrush!) but I really need to generate a bit of cash here.

I got a full tank of gas, but no cellphone. So if any of you have any work to give me. I'll take it.

I'm so fricking embarrassed right now that I'm posting this on here, but I really am desperate.

(Also, I have no cellphone now, so PM me)

fisherman from long beach
07-02-2010, 07:24 PM
a sue have you tried work agencies,i hear they are starting to pick up a lil work out there.

Sue
07-02-2010, 07:28 PM
a sue have you tried work agencies,i hear they are starting to pick up a lil work out there.

Believe me, I've tried everything. I'm on the books with Appleone, Volt, Stafffource and various others.

Sublime-Steve
07-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Sue im in the same boat... im pretty sure my unemployment is up and ive applied everywhere i can and nothing.. I need a job so bad its driving me crazy.. i wont be able to pay my bills here REAL soon :EyePop: if anyone is hiring unemployed fishermen and women! LET US KNOW...

oh and if anyone needs any photography for anything let me know that what i went to college for * sigh*

Sue
07-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Sue im in the same boat... im pretty sure my unemployment is up and ive applied everywhere i can and nothing.. I need a job so bad its driving me crazy.. i wont be able to pay my bills here REAL soon :EyePop: if anyone is hiring unemployed fishermen and women! LET US KNOW...

oh and if anyone needs any photography for anything let me know that what i went to college for * sigh*

I couldn't even get unemployment. I've been living off my savings, and I have no backup. I'm really that desperate for work that I posted on here.

SierraPeaks
07-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I've been out of work since December 21, 2008.
I wish I could help you...any of you...but I can't.

The only thing keeping me sane is getting in the mountains and going fishing when I can (which isn't nearly as often as it used to be)

DockRat
07-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Check Craigslist.org twice a day.

I've been looking for something for my laid off wife.

I heard ILWU Security Local was hiring was hiring 'casual' part time positions
that can lead into full time union/benifits.

This job below doesn't pay much but could open up more doors later.
I have a friend that is a boarding agent and makes alot more.

los angeles craigslist > long beach / 562 > jobs > general labor jobs
please flag with care:

Vessel boarding agent (Long Beach)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-06-26, 6:07PM PDT
Reply to: job-tmmgj-1813032079@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Beach based agency currently recruiting a motivated, responsible, detail-oriented individual as vessel boarding agent. Reliability, punctuality, and accuracy with paperwork are essential to this position. Experienced boarding agents welcome, but willing to train individuals with no prior experience. Preference for individuals with existing TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) card clearance and immediate availability. Salary commensurate with experience, to begin at $10/hr during training period and ranging up to approximately $30K/yr.

Primary duties include (but not limited to):
- communicating with vessels before arrival to arrange vessel requirements (crew change, doctor visits, vendors, visitors, etc)
- resolving issues between vessel/crew and terminal operations
- boarding vessels on arrival and on departure
- preparing related paperwork
- arranging boarding times with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for crew immigration inspection
- arranging pilots, tugs, and linemen for vessel arrival and departure
- preparing export documents to submit to CBP after vessel has departed
- general office work

Requirements:
- valid CA driver's license with excellent driving record; requires use of personal vehicle to/from container terminals (mileage will be reimbursed at market rate)
- no felonies (background check required)
- ability to work irregular hours including early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays with little or no advance notice
- able to board and move around container vessels without physical restrictions
- basic computer skills to reply to e-mails and prepare documents in .DOC, .XLS and .PDF formats

Please include:
- summary of related/transferable work experience, educational background
- current place of residence and travel distance/time to Port of Los Angeles
- any foreign language skills

Compensation: $10/hr during training period and ranging up to approximately $30K/yr
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/lab/1813032079.html

PostingID: 1813032079

Sue
07-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Dockrat. Applied.!

Sue
07-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Actually, I'm gonna be real selfish here. I can't/couldn't get unemployment due to my green card issue and the fact I actually quit my last job. I just need a job to tide me over for a couple weeks. I'll hopefully have a real job by then. I'll wash out trash cans, clean toilets. Whatever. I just spent my last $5. I'm THAT desperate.

old pudd fisher
07-02-2010, 11:08 PM
PM sent Sue.

dixoncider
07-03-2010, 06:38 AM
THat agent deal is good as long as you don't like sleep. That pay would suggest its some new company or something..seems low for the job..OK

smokinflies
07-03-2010, 08:03 AM
What work skills do you posses, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm always searching for new jobs on CareerBuilder and Monster.

Let me know your skills and I'll keep my eyes open.

Note: stay away from craigslist. :Wink:

seal
07-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't think anybody should be embarrassed about needing help these days Sue. From the responses in this thread seems like quite a few people are at the breaking point. I had to settle for a low paying gig after a prolonged job search, and I thank God everyday for that low paying gig in this economy.

Sea Monkey
07-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Amen to that Seal. Several years ago after being out of work for 8 months I took a job at the Arby's. Arby's for gods sake!! Had to give up the cigs and beer and other worldly comforts but, my rent got paid for a few months and the utilities stayed on!

Hang in Sue, best of luck to you.

pho boy
07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
i'm a stay home dad not by choice,but because i can't get a job.
time is time are hard now sue you should not be embarrassed .

WARRIORMIKE
07-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Not sure where you live, but maybe this is a start

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/careers-578718-Citizens_Business_Bank

http://www.abfs.com/about/jobs/mgmtprogram/default.asp

http://inlandempire.jobing.com/Job_Details2.asp?JobID=2367870&SearchID=241473240&Position=3&CameFrom=Job

http://inlandempire.jobing.com/Job_Details2.asp?JobID=2364108&SearchID=241473240&Position=26&CameFrom=Job

http://jobview.monster.com/Fast-Food-Attendant-Job-Highland-CA-89136927.aspx

http://www.tatravelcenters.com/job-opportunities/store/assistant-general-manager-27

EL_CHIDO
07-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Sue,

If you are interested, I could email you a PDF of LA County's Current Job opportunities. It's 124 pages.

dfisher
07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I would try fast food joints, for the time being until something comes your way. Jobs are scarce right now. :(

murrieta angler
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Hey Sue,
Hope you are doing better.'
Just a quick side note, I've been looking under "GIGS" on Craigslist and see that there are jobs that need to be done on a daily basis only and get paid the same day.
Good Luck and keep your chin up,
Robert