PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Upper or Lagoon help....

PitchFish
07-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Fished the lagoon today(7-1-10). Probably not the greatest of times(2-6pm). Fished from a boat. Once we launched, went all across the rip raft to the swimbeach side, then straight North. Basically fished the entire perimeter of the lower lake. Man are there alot of weeds. Had some trouble with trolling motor and constantly pulling it up to pull weeds off. Did not get a bite the entire time. In the past I have had only decent luck with senkos and robos. Caught a 4.5 in January on a senko, but that is about it for the past few years.

On our way in today, a boat passed us and it had two older guys(60's-70's) and they said they had a great day, catching 21 LMB with one being between 10-15 pounds(according to them). They said they caught them on plastics. I want to say they were on the north end, but right in the middle of the lake?

Anyways. I'm not asking for anyone to give away anything that they think might be secret, but does anyone have any good advice for fishing the Lagoon. When and where to go? What types of baits to use, and how?

Lastly, does anyone know of any individual(s) that guide the upper or lower lake for LMB at a decent price?

Thanks.

SDDave
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
PM me next week, I'm getting my paperwork done and sent in for my guide license, Dave

Ray Lopez
07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
What is your set up?

What size line are you using, and how are you fishing the plastics?

PitchFish
07-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm using spinning gear. I usually flyline a 5in senko on one pole with 4-lb test(let it get to bottom, then raise the tip every so often). On my other rod I either split-shot a roboworm or drop shot a roboworm(usually either a 4.5 or 6 inch in marg. mut. or oxblood or red craw. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I hardly have any success at the lake. One here and there, but that is about that. My one guess is that I dont know the lake that well/etc. I know that there are mega weeds towards the north.....seems like fish would want to be in those weeds and also on the outside of them??

Anyways, any type of advice and help you could give me would be great. I'd like to start fishing the lagoon more often, but I defin. need some confidence. If you want to PM me or do it here, whatever works for you. I often see that you do well at that lake, congrats!

Thanks again.

BuzzBait
07-03-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm using spinning gear. I usually flyline a 5in senko on one pole with 4-lb test(let it get to bottom, then raise the tip every so often). On my other rod I either split-shot a roboworm or drop shot a roboworm(usually either a 4.5 or 6 inch in marg. mut. or oxblood or red craw. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I hardly have any success at the lake. One here and there, but that is about that. My one guess is that I dont know the lake that well/etc. I know that there are mega weeds towards the north.....seems like fish would want to be in those weeds and also on the outside of them??

Anyways, any type of advice and help you could give me would be great. I'd like to start fishing the lagoon more often, but I defin. need some confidence. If you want to PM me or do it here, whatever works for you. I often see that you do well at that lake, congrats!

Thanks again.

I like using 30lb braided line in that thick grass. Texas rig and drop shot works best for me in the goon. Caught most of my fish in the thickest grass i can find. Early morning and late afternoon are my best times catching fish. Fly line senkos at night with any dark colors. Sometimes they like it with shiny flakes and sometimes they don't. Drop shotting with bigger plastics catch fewer but bigger fish. I like using oddball colors and creatures sometimes when the bite gets really tough. LAKE PRESSURE!!!
Good luck!

PitchFish
07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Buzzbait.....so do you just find that thick grass and then drop it right down in there? Sounds like a dumb question i guess?

BuzzBait
07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Nah... it's a good question. If I know the depth of the water in that area, I would approach it all in different ways.
5ft or less - I would cast it out about 20 ft from the boat or closer.
If you know the fish are hitting surface - use floating plastics or top water baits over the areas.
10ft or more - I would just drop it.
You may not catch fish on the first few drops. I like to drop the bait in various locations. Pay attention to openings.
Sometimes i would cast out a fly line with heavier plastics or fly line using floating plastics as far as i can and swim them slow, twitching it every so often. Most of the big ones I've caught just suck them right in as the bait is dropping after the cast. I find a pattern in the patches. If i see fish, I know i can come back to that area later on and see if they're still roaming that area or suspended in that area. I usually would go back later and cast from a distance where they don't see me.
If it's super thick, I just drop it and let it sit for about a minute or two before i drop it to another spot. I leave the area after ten to twenty minutes if nothing is biting. Gotta find the fish!