PDA

View Full Version : Great white shark warning off California

sawoobley
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Great white shark warning off California

Thursday, July 1, 2010

(07-01) 08:35 PDT Ventura, Calif. (AP) --

The National Park Service is warning surfers, snorkelers and swimmers that it's the great white shark birthing season off the California coast and the creatures are making their presence known as they attack seals.

Sea lions were recently attacked by great whites on three occasions off Santa Barbara Island, a popular snorkeling area about 40 miles south of Ventura.

A weekend great white off Santa Barbara's East Beach led officials to keep youngsters in the Junior Lifeguard program on the beach Monday and Tuesday. On Sunday, a great white pup was found dead at Rincon Beach.

Marine Conservation Science Institute president Michael Domeier says pregnant females give birth this time of year in shallow California waters.

___

Information from: Ventura County Star, http://venturacountystar.com

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/07/01/state/n083500D17.DTL

:Cool:

Fishbones
07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
spooling up the two speed with some new braid as we speak...j/k

cutbait
07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
spooling up the two speed with some new braid as we speak...j/k

Weak

I'm gonna lay a slick with chopped up baby seals and flyline some BSB chunks.

I was up in Avila 1 week before the swimmer got munched. Half eaten seals were all over. It was OBVIOUS Mr whitey was around

Fishbones
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Weak

I'm gonna lay a slick with chopped up baby seals and flyline some BSB chunks.

I was up in Avila 1 week before the swimmer got munched. Half eaten seals were all over. It was OBVIOUS Mr whitey was around

Did i forget to mention i was fishing a float tube,.,.,.

cutbait
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
ok, thats respectable

smokehound
07-03-2010, 07:03 PM
put a giant treble hook on one of your flippers. :LOL: it helps if you slice yourself a bit first. get a nice scent trail going.

elevated
07-03-2010, 10:47 PM
why do I always see this kinda stuff after I go for a surf? Good thing for the holiday crowd today, more choices on the menu less of a chance I get bit. haha

smokehound
07-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm low-fat they'll avoid me :LOL:

BrandonFish
07-04-2010, 02:18 AM
so thats what was chewing me off in the surf

DockRat
07-04-2010, 05:49 AM
I love hearing Shark tales. Especially when they involve Float Tubers :Shocked:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/alm2173/alg_shark-bite.jpg

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

Pacific Coast Shark News 2010
The following reports for 2010 are provided as a public service. They are intended to inform our visitors of current shark activities along the Pacific Coast of North America.

Malibu Beach — On July 2, 2010 Joon Lee and an unidentified companion were kayaking North of Malibu between Escondido Beach and Paradise Cove Beach. It was 7:00 AM with an overcast sky and a mild breeze. The ocean was calm with visibility of 10 – 15 feet and an estimated temperature of 64 degrees Fahrenheit. Several pinnipeds were observed in the area. Lee reported; “I was paddling my kayak with my friend in front of me. I saw the shark 's dorsal fin as it rose to the surface. It was dark, very triangular and pointy with a ragged looking back edge. It surfac ed in between me and my friend and there was at least one seal pup within 15 – 20 feet of the fin. It slowly kept moving away from me travelling parallel to where the seals were seen. I only got a very close and clear shot of the fin. Once I got home I compared it with other similar fins and determined it was definitely a large Great W hite Shark. T he dorsal fin was very big and pronounced.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Santa Monica State Beach — On July 2, 2010 Sean McGuire was surfing Santa Monica Beach near Ocean Park. It was 7:30 AM and he had been on the water about one hour. It was sunny with little or no wind and an estimated water temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm, glassy, with the depth 10 – 15 feet over a sandy ocean bottom and an estimated water temperature of 64 degrees Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. McGuire reported; “I was surfing in 2 – 3 foot clean, glassy waves with about 4 other friends when we saw a 4 foot Thresher Shark breach about 20 yards from us. Everyone in the water saw it and we all confirmed it was a Thresher Shark. We continued surfing and noticed a lot of bait fish swimming around. I am aware Threshers don't really pose a danger to humans so we did not exit the water.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

San Clemente — On June 30, 2010 Griffin Foy was surfing with companions Ben Seaberry and Dagan Stagg at Lower Trestles near San Clemente. It was 6:30 PM and they had been on the water one hour. There were scattered clouds and a mild breeze with an estimated air temperature of 65 degrees Fahrenheit. The sea was calm with an estimated water temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit and 1 – 3 foot swells. The ocean floor was mostly a rocky-reef with a depth of 6 – 8 feet and limited visibility. There were 8 – 10 Dolphin observed in the immediate area. Foy reported; “I was paddling back out to the lineup after riding a wave with my friends Ben and Dagan and about 15 other surfers in the lineup. I observed 8 – 10 Dolphins arriving in the area and swimming in various directions. Dagan and I both saw the top part of a dorsal fin more triangular in shape then the dolphin dorsal fins. This guy was cruising slowly without going up and down like the dolphins and 20 feet away going within a few feet of a couple of surfers heading south. A couple dolphins were circling the surfers between them and the shark. The shark disappeared. We continued surfing discussing what we saw.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Sunset Beach — On June 27, 2010 Scott at SunsetSurf received the following report from Agam Singh; “Shark sighting: 7 – 8 foot White Shark fully breached about 200 yards off the point around 3:00 PM, Sunday, June 27th. At least 5 people saw it and kept surfing. I bailed!” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Bolsa Chica State Beach — On June 22, 2010 Marla Koch was supervising a group of 7 young adults that were swimming and body surfing near Lifeguard Station 22 at Bolsa Chica State Beach. It was 6 PM and they had been in the water 45 – 60 minutes. Air and water temperatures were estimated in the mid-70s Fahrenheit. The ocean was choppy with 1 – 2 foot surf and limited visibility. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Koch reported the following; “A friend and I were watching our teens, about 7 in all, swimming in the ocean. I looked past them a bit, and in a swell I saw a shark. It was about 30 feet from shore with the swimmers about 20 feet closer to the beach. I asked my friend to look, and she saw it right away also. The shark's movements were rhythmic, side to side, and also quick. We only saw the shark for about 5 seconds swimming toward the shore at a slight angle just under the surface. It was gray in color, almost shadowy. It was in a small swell. We got the swimmers out as quickly as we could. We were the only ones in the water there. We let the lifeguard know about the sighting. The shark did not swim like a dolphin, I have seen many before, and it moved quickly, side to side. We saw it for only a few seconds, and then it was gone.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq47/sharkbro/great_white_shark.gif