PDA

View Full Version : Rpt Sun. 06-27-10 Coronado Islands

Tunaslam
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Sunday 06-27-10
Fishing on Tony Junior’s 21’ Triumph, “Bad Fish”, with Tony Senior, his dad. I left Diamond Bar at 3:10am Saturday morning arriving at Shelter Island just before 5am. We bought a generous half scoop of dynamite Sardines from EB, and set a course for the Middle Grounds of the Coronado Islands, clearing the harbor by 5:45 am. It was a bit of a bumpy ride, with a slight breeze, and Brrrrrrrrr, chilly!

We began a slow troll of our sardines, with little action until about 7:30 am, when the fish chatter picked up, and we observed a few hook ups from the other boats around us. Junior elected to do a drift in an area which looked real fishy, with working birds and a few boils. We all caught some Barracuda, which were all released. They became a nuisance, as it often required re-tying of our hooks or an out right bite off. There were some good sizes on the Barracuda, mostly averaging five pounds, with a couple much larger.

Numerous times we had the right kind boiling around the boat, and then finally Tony got hammered on his 40 pound leader, with 65 pound Spectra backing. The big tail took Junior for quite a ride. It fought and fought, dogging it straight under the boat. There was color, and I stuck him with a nice gaff just under the gill plate.

Tony Junior with a solid 20+ pound Yellowtail.

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_099710262-med.jpg

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_099810263.jpg

I did not get bit on the 30, even though Tony hooked his on 40 pound, I decided to go down to 20 pound, big mistake. After catching a few more Barracuda, I got absolutely smoked on the 20 pound, a two hundred yard run deep into the Spectra, then ping! Brought back 10’ of frayed line!

So I switched back to 30 pound with a 30 pound Flouro leader. Got bit again by the right kind. Took a nice run, however, the drag was set fairly tight, and the huge Yellowtail slowed and turned back toward the boat.

Myself in major bendo mode!

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504IMGP035810264-med.jpg

After a solid fight, the big Yellowtail succumbed to the pressure, and just as Junior was going to stick him, he rolled and spit the hook, bummer!

We made numerous moves back into position and watched the Fisherman III hook a few fish, with a ton of boils off their stern and on their starboard side. We drifted past them from about a 100+ yards off the starboard side, and had boils all around us, but no more hook ups. Then just like that, they were gone.

We made a move to south kelp and some other spots. Caught a few rockfish, and as the day wore on it seemed to get colder and the breeze stiffened, especially on the windy side of South Island. At 2:30 pm we headed to the Whistler, made a few drifts for nada, then called it a day. The trailer had a flat tire, so Junior called Vessel Assist to help change the tire, while Tony senior and I drifted in the harbor. I filleted the Tail, and the few rockfish, while Tony put on his Halibut set up. Senior got a nice thrill when his rod went bendo, only to reel up a big Shovel Nose Shark. At 4:30 pm Junior called and the trailer was ready.

Thanks again Tony, another fun trip together. Sorry you didn’t get to pull on a Tail Senior. I know you’ll out fish the both of us on our next trip. Getting even is so much fun? Just call me Farmer John!
Hook up!
Cory

Fishbones
06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
great report, congrats to all,.,.too bad bout the rolled yellow.,.,that hurts.,.
great pics and write up as always cory thanks for sharing your adventures.

JapanRon
06-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Read report elsewhere but I do have a question. What do you think bit that yellows tail ?

JapanRon