PDA

View Full Version : Cherry poppin' and 4 New PB's at CAT

HESBROS
06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Have not got to take the boat out much so far this summer so we made some plans to fish Monday. I sent John (Klocked) a text Saturday and asked if he wanted to fish Monday out of LB for some of the Cuda and Bass action and like usual I got a text back reading "YES". So Sunday I checked the weather and reports and decided that maybe we would make the run to CAT for some Sea Bass action and get my bro Rich and John ob their first legals instead, so I asked John if he was up for a 0230 departure and run to CAT, it did not take long for an affirmitive.

We met up at South Shores as planned at 0230 and put the boat in the water and ran down to San Pedro Bait Co. and picked up a half scoop of dines (no squid in the receiver and their eta for drop of was 0545) so we at least had live bait. We cleared Angeles gate at 0330 and got in contact with the Long Beach Carnage and they had live squid and were working their way back to Avalon. We met up with the Carnage in front of Avalon and picked up a half scoop of squid at 0530 and headed around the east end to the fising grounds.

As we rounded the east end t looked like a parking lot on the fishing grounds, lot more boats for a Monday than I expected. My plan was to fish the V's so we headed there to take a look around. Metered around and found a spot that I liked away from the tightly pakced in crown and set on the anchor. We had many bites from the local seals but none of the right kind. Only boat we seen catching was a sportie outside of us and they only got a couple.

I decided to work to the west and after a few stops here and there we ended up at Salta Verde where there was not much going on. We fished there for a bit and everyone was leaving so we pulled the anchor and I headed back east and looked around. We got back to the original spot and most had left and it was fairly wide open space. I metered around till I found a spot I like and we set up on the anchor once again.

John and Rich were fishing the stern and I was on the bow like usual. Once not to long when John got bit and was on a drag burner, I set my rod down in clicker mode and ran to stern to stay with John since it was his first WSB. Less than a minute later I look over to see Rich bendo as well. I thought great a double, a tripple would be great but bad idea since both were on their first legal WSB. John was getting worked by his fish on his 30 lb mono and rich was making progress with his 50 lb spectra so I decided I would stay with Rich and gaff his first. His was not fighting too hard so I thought it was a smaller version. Then it woke up and was off to the races. Both fish were puttin' a hurt to these big boys. A few times around the boat, avoiding the anchor line, avoiding each others fish, I stayed with John to give him tips and encouragement since it was hist first big fish. Johns came to gaff first and I stuck it and lthrew it on the deck just as Rich called out "Color". Johns was a nice fish and when I got the Rich I realized his was much bigger and stuck it and pulled her in. Whew, what excitement, high fives all around and a look of gettin' beat up on both their faces.

Here they are after hitting the deck.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/P6280036.jpg

Okay boys, time for trophy pics.

Johns went 22 lbs, 1st ever legal and PB.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/P6280039.jpg

Rich's went 44 lbs, 1st ever legal and PB.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/P6280037.jpg

During the the battle I reeled in my line to keep it clear of the hooked fish and while the other two were recovering and pondering what just happened I put on a fresh bait and threw it out, soon as it hit the bottom I felt a small tap and left it in free spool. seconds later the fish was taking line so I set the hook and I was bendo. after a while Rich gaffed my fish and I was stoked that we had three legals on the boat.

Mine went 34 lbs, new PB for me.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/P6280040.jpg

We kept at it and not too long later John was hooked up again, but tis fish was screaming and taking line at a rapid rate without slowing down.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/P6280041.jpg

It ran towards another boat that was anchored about 100 yards away when John said it felt like the fish was wrapped on something, judging by the angle of the line it looked like it might have been on thier anchor, I yeed to the guys that out fish was under their boat and one of them yelled back and said it wrapped his line. "Oh crap!".........He yelled back that he would put his reel in free spool and let John fight the fish. John fought the fish for what seemed like another 30 mins all the time this fellow boater had his reel in free spool holding on to his rod. The fish finally flashed inder the boat and I new it was not a WSB and yelled out "Yellowtail". Probably 10 yards from the fish the wrap with the other guys line and hook came up so we unwraaped it while john was on the fight. A few mins later I was sticking a quality grade yellowtail. To the private boater, if you read this, Thank You! you are a class act and represent what fishing is all about!

34 lbs, Johns 1st ever and new PB!
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/P6280043.jpg

We stuck it out till 1230 for no more biters and changing conditions. We left CAT and headed for LB, stopping for some Cuda action at the "Shoe" on the way.

End result.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/P6280050.jpg

We were off the water at 1700.

It was great having you on board John and I am so stoked that you and Rich got those fish!

KID CREOLE
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Very nice, way to stick with it!

fisherman from long beach
06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
very nice and pb's all around,nice of the other boater to help out and free spool it for you.sound like fun,thanks for pics and report.

Fishbones
06-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Awesome report hesbros,.,.i felt like i was there with you guys.,.,lol
congrats to all for there catch,.,.gotta love the bonus yellow,.,.,
and lots of props to the other PB for free spooling and allowing for the fish to be caught...
funny because we also hit the cuda grounds after out island mission.,.,.i guess we just cant get enough....lol

Greg Madrigal
06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
WoW, GREAT report & read! Sweet deal cap'n on getting their cherries popped! I LOVVVVVVE WSB!

Enyoy!

GM<><

JapanRon
06-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi HESBROS,

Wow ... that PBer was a saint. Bet you couldn't thank that boat enough !! They've got some fish karma coming !!

JapanRon

BrandonFish
06-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Sweet day thats awsome you got them on the wsb those are some monster wsb! congrats guys it felt like i was there with your exelent report.

smokehound
06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Dude, hell yeah. Everyone getting in on the phantoms.

Damn I just HAVE to get in on this.

vince champion
06-29-2010, 08:44 PM
nice report and good job! i wish my boat will be done by this week before this carnage ends!!!

klocked
06-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm still speechless!!
Man those fish pull hard!!
Got 2 cherry's popped in one day!!
What an awesome experience that was!!
I guess I did ok with my 25lb set up :LOL:
I thought the white seabass was strong...
Until the Yellow hit me like a freight train :EyePop:

Eddie, thanks bro for inviting me along. You and your bro are standup guys and I really enjoy fishing with the two of you. This trip has topped every fishing trip I've ever had.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and all of the coaching while I was hooked up with those fish. All of that helped in getting my fish into the boat!!

I see why the Yt and WSB are the most sought after fish in SoCal. I grilled a few slabs of both tonight and they were delish!!

P.S. Thankyou Jeff and Dana for running this site, with out it, I would have never met the quality people that I have met here.

fisherman from long beach
06-30-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm still speechless!!
Man those fish pull hard!!
Got 2 cherry's popped in one day!!
What an awesome experience that was!!
I guess I did ok with my 25lb set up :LOL:
I thought the white seabass was strong...
Until the Yellow hit me like a freight train :EyePop:

Eddie, thanks bro for inviting me along. You and your bro are standup guys and I really enjoy fishing with the two of you. This trip has topped every fishing trip I've ever had.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and all of the coaching while I was hooked up with those fish. All of that helped in getting my fish into the boat!!

I see why the Yt and WSB are the most sought after fish in SoCal. I grilled a few slabs of both tonight and they were delish!!

P.S. Thankyou Jeff and Dana for running this site, with out it, I would have never met the quality people that I have met here.

X2.ive met some very good people on this site.open my eyes to great fishing

Seņor.Chilax
06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
You are one heck of a guy Hesbros! Way to put those guys on some fish, and not just any fish, WSB and Yellowtail! Where do I sign up for a guided trip. hahaha! Thanks for the report. Nice fishing.

E.A.R.G.
06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
FREAKING GOOD JOB MAN!
I struck out at Catalina myself. Didn't even see a single hook up.
makes me a bit green to see a post like this! but it couldn't have happened to cooler people
congrats john and eddie! w00t!!!

DockRat
06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
WTG on the PB's.
DR

troutdog
06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Awesome report and results...congrats all the way around!

TD

flyngby
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Eddie, Rich, John,

Looks like an OK trip to me on board the HESBROS!!! Glad to see Eddie has not lost his touch after too much time spent on foot in the harbor!

John,

Not sure but I guess I opened up the door for you. Looks like you got a little more intel on the intended trip than I did! The pics tell it all and you did great in battle!

Rich,

Am surprized that it is your first Croaker with all of your other quality catches!: Shocked:

Text Message from Eddie early Sat morning while I was driving to work.

Eddie "Are you ever going to get out fishing again?"

Steve "No"

Eddie "LOL any plans for this weekend?" Message recieved after cell in my truck all day at work!

Steve, "Might have plans for the Santa Barbara Surf!"

No Response so I go for the SB Trip!

So Glad that I went there so you guys could have the "Epic Day of busting Cherries!" I am sure if I were along I would have brought the usual curse along as always! :Bawling:

Eddie,

Nice PB also! Good thing Rebecca was not along for the trip to put a hurting on you all! :ROFL:

Steve

klocked
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Eddie, Rich, John,

Looks like an OK trip to me on board the HESBROS!!! Glad to see Eddie has not lost his touch after too much time spent on foot in the harbor!

John,

Not sure but I guess I opened up the door for you. Looks like you got a little more intel on the intended trip than I did! The pics tell it all and you did great in battle!

Rich,

Am surprized that it is your first Croaker with all of your other quality catches!: Shocked:

Text Message from Eddie early Sat morning while I was driving to work.

Eddie "Are you ever going to get out fishing again?"

Steve "No"

Eddie "LOL any plans for this weekend?" Message recieved after cell in my truck all day at work!

Steve, "Might have plans for the Santa Barbara Surf!"

No Response so I go for the SB Trip!

So Glad that I went there so you guys could have the "Epic Day of busting Cherries!" I am sure if I were along I would have brought the usual curse along as always! :Bawling:

Eddie,

Nice PB also! Good thing Rebecca was not along for the trip to put a hurting on you all! :ROFL:

Steve

Steve,
If that was the case, then thank you for letting me into your spot on the Hesbros.
I had no idea that I would be hooking up with either of these fish so soon!! It was awesome!

murrieta angler
07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Great report and great pictures.
Congrats to all the first's and P.B.'s
Robert

Jaysuuun
07-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Long time no see fellas. I expected click on this thread to see some thick calicos, sandies, flatties or cudas. :Shocked: I should've known better when I read the title. Congrats on a nice set of PB's for all of you.

John, you sound like an excited kid in a candy store. (I would be too :LOL:) Congrats on the yellow.

Rich, that fish is a beast. Congrats on landing the biggest fish of the day.

Eddie, as always nice job on putting your crew on the fish.

Mondo21
07-05-2010, 12:20 PM
What a catch! You Guys did a HELAVA JOB! Thanks for the detailed report and pics. Cindy:Big Grin: