PDA

View Full Version : VERY slow day at the harbor.. 6/27/10

smokehound
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Left around 8:30 to get to newport, and arrived around 10:00 to find conditions at the surf just plain unfair :LOL:

Lots of nice sandcrabs, but just too many damn people ARGH. On the bright side there were lots of careless women exposing themselves on accident. heeeee....

Well i then decided to go to the harbor and check things out... I found a school of little walleyes and sargo, but they were very skittish. Went to my usual place and found a pile of dead baybass near the pipeline. >=( The good news, was the DFG was scoping the area out, as I was checked out. Which is good. First time i ever saw the DFG there.

I guess they caught a bunch of illegals trying to fish with licenses from last year I saw that alot there last year >=(

Tthe channel was dead, everything was terrified, so i went by the electric boat rentals, and managed a nice fighting croaker. A person fishing closer to the bridge caught a couple of croakers, and a short hali that died after release..

after that the current went slack, and everything got a severe case of lockjaw.

That croaker was REALLY strong for a yfc his size, he actually almost took my pole over!

I thought the damn thing was a nice corbina because of that. :LOL:

Man someone really poached the hell outta my spot, that depresses me.. Well that's going to stop now.

Idiots doing the bait&wait need to learn to use BIGGER hooks! size two MINIMUM for the harbor! Stop killing baby bass PUNKS! Idiots. ARGGGH

andyhucks
06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Check your Pm, thx.

Swank909
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Now that you mention it on my last outing i did run into a few floaters on the tube, 2 SBB and 1 YFC and the time before that i had run into 2 more. Hadn't thought about that till now....

Very cool that DFG is finally poking its head into the harbor, been there soooo many times and have never ran into DFG outside of the Cattleboats.

Duuude those YFC have got some shoulders on them! Sometimes they'll get you by surprise when you're targeting the bass lol. I had a HUUUGE Smelt take my 5" Jerk Shad, almost top water on the retrieve as i was bringing in the line to recast, scared the crap out of me, he almost pulled the pole out of my hand, throught it was a huge YFC at first by the way it fought lol

smokehound
06-28-2010, 08:07 PM
They should keep checking the harbor, lots of illegal fishing there, and poaching.

Next time i see that guy, im gonna get his number so i can call HIM instead of cal-tip. He was cool!

Fishbones
06-29-2010, 07:20 AM
thanks for the report, congrats on the skunk croaker..

BrandonFish
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
those YFC are great fighters for there size slow day but it happens
Thanks for the report it would be nice the poachers get caught every once in a while at nph then the word will get around